#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Just got back from meeting a horse ranch owner...they want me to take out their squirrels...(both husband/wife work) She does horseshoeing around our county..he is VP of a construction firm...anyway,we hit it off pretty good as he is a big game hunter...besides the U.S.,he hunts in Africa...he asked me inside his house to see his "wall of death"...Several 8x10 color photos of so many big game it blew my mind.. This was a referal via another ranch owner..I got the call today..Anyway...I start on the squirrels in the morning...LOL..

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

That's great. Referrals are the best advertizement you can get. Shoot straight.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Very good! Referrals are the best way to acquire new places to hunt.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Can you imagine how many horse ranch people his wife knows..??? I might have to hire an agent....lol....

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Most *ferriers* in the San Diego area also shoe horses in T.J.s race track. I know they have some big squeeks there... I have talked to them. :)

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

Here are pics from my first morning at the ranch. Temps reached 95 F by 10:30 am,so only nailed 17 squirrels getting 14 around the barn and the corrals...did get 3 off some big rocks....I used my 850 Magnum .177 for 11 squirrels and the Disco .22 when wind kicked up for the other 6....Going back tomorrow to nail some more...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Most *ferriers* in the San Diego area also shoe horses in T.J.s race track. I know they have some big squeeks there... I have talked to them. :)

You forgot to mention how they drugged the horses at Caliente....but the Agua Caliente Racetrack has been closed to horseracing for years...they only do Greyhound races now....bow wow...

#8 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

Nailed "only" 17 squirrels today. Poor guy. I feel bad for ya. I don't think I've blasted 17 squirrels my entire life. Does that make you feel better? :)

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

That's good shooting. And some great looking squirrel habitat.

#10 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Just got back from meeting a horse ranch owner...they want me to take out their squirrels...(both husband/wife work) She does horseshoeing around our county..he is VP of a construction firm...anyway,we hit it off pretty good as he is a big game hunter...besides the U.S.,he hunts in Africa...he asked me inside his house to see his "wall of death"...Several 8x10 color photos of so many big game it blew my mind.. This was a referal via another ranch owner..I got the call today..Anyway...I start on the squirrels in the morning...LOL..

Let me know if you need any help I just got a better scope on my riffle. :signgreatreport3kg:

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:03 AM

The owner's wife told me yesterday to kill everything except their dogs and horses...LOL.........besides being totally infested with squirrels,they a huge issue with crows...I could have nailed a bunch of crows but must get the squirrels first....she told me one morning there were so many crows yacking,she was afraid to come out of the house...!!Here is a small squeek eating oats..not a good vid,but nailed this guy after taking this....Posted ImageThey have alot of rabbits as well....

#12 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Well like I said if you need help I can take a day off to help you shoot stuff.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Great spot Rich. You have a target rich environment. :signgreatreport3kg:

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Day two: Got some pistol action today....you can't walk 10 yards on this ranch without seeing a squirrel so now I carry my MAC 1 1377C along with my rifle...comes in handy for shots 20 yards/less..I shot one at 22 yards using .177 RWS Super H Points...drops them like a rock..Posted ImagePosted ImageDropped this young squirrel from 40 yards on the sticks...my 6x24 Barska makes hitting these little guys easy..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image22 yards with the pistola..another youngster..Posted ImageTotal today was 16....that makes 33 in two days...going back on Monday and see how many I can get in a full day...LOL...

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Well like I said if you need help I can take a day off to help you shoot stuff.

Unfortunately have to do this job alone as agreed with owner...

#16 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

That's good shooting. And some great looking squirrel habitat.

Thanks...I'm lucky to get these jobs...hoping to build my reputation and get some more..(this is my third one).....I'm doing this for free to improve my marksmanship and owners benefit as well...win win situation...!!

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Looks like fun. Yeah, keep it free if you start charging other laws and regulations come into effect.

#18 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

Looks like fun. Yeah, keep it free if you start charging other laws and regulations come into effect.

I remember when I was a kid the ranchers would leave boxes of 22 shells on the fenceposts for us kids to use to shoot varmints. We would ride out of town on our schwinn bikes with our marlin strapped over our sholder and not one round to our name and shoot till dusk any weekend we wanted. As long as we stacked dead Varmints close enough to be seen from where the boxes of ammo were there would be new boxes there the next Saturday Morning. Back in the day Huh? Makes it sound like I am 100 years old. I am 41. Try riding your bike thru town today with a rifle of any type strapped to your back and see how far you would get before you were on the local and national news and the internet. Ha! I dont even want to think of what would happen to the parents. B)

#19 grumpforce

grumpforce

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunter and plinker

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Good shooting crazyhorse :smiley_green_with_envy: listen if you ever get to many referals and it becomes too mutch please let me know, I would love to have some fun. I got my hunting license not that its probably nacesary but sometimes ranchers feel more comfortable knowing that. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users