11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

Does any one still make bolt action shotguns?

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

couldn't tell you...My brother and I still have a 3-shot .410 bolt action...I think we've had that for about 30 years
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Looks like Savage http://www.savagearms.com/210f.htmand also Mossberg ...do a google search and you'll find 'em
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#4 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've got one in 20 ga that I got from my Grandfather. I think it is an old Sears and Roebuck. Box magazine, full Poly choke. It has sights and dovetail groves. Someday I'm going to paint it put on a Aim Point sight and use it for Turkeys. Someday.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

that's cool. The reason I am looking at them is for an A zone blm hunt that is sticks and shutgun only area.I have shot some non rifled slugs out of my 391 beretta and it grouped good at 100 yards not sure what it would do at 150 or farther.

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

That slug-barreled 870 that I shot my deer with last year sure does the trick. Kicks like a mule though, until I installed an R3 recoil pad on it. Just be sure you use a scope meant for a hard recoiling gun!
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have 4 of these old bolt action .410 shot guns.. I just rebuilt this one a few weekends ago and gave it a paint job.. You can find these at gun shows or on Gun Broker for about 80 to 100 bucks.. They are great for kids to learn with and they shoot slugs and shot!! I keep this one in my rock crawler for random hunting opportunities. Stevens made them and Sears did as well. Attached File  410.JPG   122.92KB   60 downloads

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

That slug-barreled 870 that I shot my deer with last year sure does the trick. Kicks like a mule though, until I installed an R3 recoil pad on it. Just be sure you use a scope meant for a hard recoiling gun!

How have you been Wess I haven't seen you on here much. I am kinda thinking on going that rout . My dad has a old mossberg I might get a rifled barrel for it.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

I have a old savage bolt in 12g needs a stock.Was thinking of making it into a slug gun.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

How have you been Wess I haven't seen you on here much. I am kinda thinking on going that rout . My dad has a old mossberg I might get a rifled barrel for it.

I'm good Johnny, been pretty busy with work and it's only going to get busier now that summer's just around the corner... :(If you get a rifled barrel for the Mossberg, try to find one with the cantilever scope mount attached to it, get a good recoil pad, and a decent scope that will handle the recoil. I looked at several black powder scopes, a few more expensive shotgun scopes (Leupold Rifleman & Nikon Slughunter), and settled with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 with a 6" eye relief. Didn't want that scope recoiling and giving me a black eye! Plus I didn't want to sink a few hundred dollars into a scope in case I changed my mind about hunting with a slug barrel. So far I'm extremely happy with the set-up. Just don't be surprised when you get strange looks at the shooting range. :DI ordered my scope from this place:http://www.opticspla...bnr-713947.htmlThey seem to have the best prices on Bushnell stuff (got a pair of cheap binoculars from them too) and usually offer free shipping.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

I look at optic planet all the time they have some great prices. What I hate about that site is they don't post items that are out of stock I have tried ordering 3 different tumblers and they are always out of stock. I get a sorry email after the fact.

#12 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

I have an older Mooseberg 595 . They marketed it as a bolt "police / security " gun having an 18" bbl . operates w/5 rd mags . I was going to swap the barrel out with a fully rifled bbl from Numrich gun parts but they never had them in stock when I looked . also looked for a 695 bbl but never found one . now its a little rusty & not worth much on selling .I may just "sacrafice it " on the gun turn in program for the 100.00 giftcard for Target they give out . In fact i think the extractors I replaced on it cost more than the gun now ..... Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users