15 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

Yesterday was a frustrating day at the range for me. I took 3 rifles and the new pistol and planned on spending most of the day there to sight and break in the new 17 HMR, finish sighting in the new 17 Remington, spend some time practicing with my newly adjusted trigger on the 22-250, and of course play with the new pistol!Well I made the hour drive to the range and then realized that I forgot the blasted 17 caliber rod so that I could break in the HMR. Uggh!! I started out with the 17 Remington instead and got several shots put down range and was beginning to have a hard time telling where those little bullets were hitting on that black target at 100 yards. I asked the range master when the next cease fire was going to be so I could check my target and was told it would be when ever everyone was ready to change out a target.Unfortunately for me, most everyone there was just there to plink and we only did 2 cease fires in the nearly 4 hours I was there and the last one was just as I was leaving!! While I waited, I ended up breaking out the 22-250 and spent some time getting used to that 2 ? # trigger.I shot until my barrel was warm and then decided to see if I could get the 17 HMR on steel at 100 yards. I got it set up and after a brief struggle with the magazine I was ready to shoot. I held center on the steel and pulled the trigger and watched as the bullet struck low and to the right of the steel. I brought it up 3 and to the left 3 and was rewarded by a ping as my next shot hit on steel! I got it adjusted to about 2? high and left before it started acting I needed to clean the barrel. For anyone interested, my Savage HMR does not appear to like the Remington ammunition but did well with the CCI TNT.Next I broke out the little 17 HMR pistol and picked out a clump of grass that I guessed was 40 yards down range and started to plink with it. The first 8 rounds went well, but when I reloaded it started acting up. The firing pin dented the rim, but wasn?t enough to make it fire. I could then put the rounds with the dented rim into the rifle and could get them to fire. I am hoping that I just need to do a better job of cleaning all the oil that the factory adds prior to shipping. Any ideas?I guess next time I want to sight in a rifle and not just plink I am going to have to go out to the darn desert so I can check or change targets as I need.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

First suggestion is for different targets with smaller black dots or just circles on them to see your hits since they never want to go down range. It sounds like you may have a weak hammer spring on your pistol. That's a common problem when the strike doesn't set off the round. I'd call the manufacture or take the pistol back to the shop if they have a gunsmith. Did you save a couple of the dented rounds to show them? :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:54 AM

Thanks, John. I'd never had trouble changing a target in previous trips to this range. I was using the targets that come with the board that I pay for. I am going to print out some of my own for next time, though.I will get ahold of Taurus and see what they say about the pistol. No, I didnt save any of the dented rounds, I ran them all through the Savage.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

Those Midway targets I sent to you are really a good target. They have lines to set your cross hairs on and the gray center shows up bullet holes really well, even tiny .17 cal ones. Plus you get four targets per page and you can usually post at least 4 to 6 pages of them per board.Not a big deal not having the dented rounds but it is always easier to show them what the problem is. Good luck. Between you and Kevin I don't know if I want to buy a Taurus? :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

I am going to print several for my next desert rifle shooting trip. It took almost 2 hours for the first cease fire yesterday, I really don't want to sit and wait that long to be able to get my targets up. I'll just go to the desert and do what ever I want to do!

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

Heath Try some of those shoot-n-see targets for the 17. You can definately see the bright yellow splat at a 100 yds. without setting up a spotting scope. They come with repair patches so the target can be used more than once and they are self stickers too.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

I really don't want to sit and wait that long to be able to get my targets up. I'll just go to the desert and do what ever I want to do!

Just be sure to take along a cardboard box to put you targets on. Cardboard boxes are a shooters best friend for holding targets.And don't forget the cleaning rods either! :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Taurus said they will fix it, but it is a 4 week turn around time.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

I'm not thinking much of their quality control there at Taurus. :blink: But hopefully when it come back it will be good to go. :D

Time waits for no one--

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

I hope they get it resolved. I am a little upset that I have to send back a brand new weapon, and then add to that the 4 week turn around is just a little insult to injury. But what can a guy do?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

I am a little upset that I have to send back a brand new weapon, and then add to that the 4 week turn around is just a little insult to injury. But what can a guy do?

Pray that it comes back to you sooner? :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

I guess we will see. I was hoping to take it back to MO with me the end of this month along with the 25 WSSM where I plan to unpin that magazine and shoot it like an AR is designed to be shot!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

They shoot the same pinned or not. Just not as many with them pinned. But how many shots do you really need? :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

Ok, I guess I meant RELOAD like it is indeeded!

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

If you print out one of those Midway targets, then make a copy at 200% on a zerox machine, what you'll get is a full page single taget of the number "B" target for long range target practice. I really like the Midway targets for testing too, and this week I'm hoping to try some enlarged targets at longer ranges.

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users