#1 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Love to hunt period.. Enjoy target shooting <br />

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

COULD YOU HELP ME? I have a 22-250.. 1/14 twist I would like to load 36gr barnes varment gernade.. WHAT POWDER WOULD YOU SUGGEST and how many grains was using 760.. thinking either that or H335... NOT SURE... I HATE THIS NEW COPPER JUNK.. got my rifle just the way I wanted.. it is like starting over..The barnes reloading manual is worthless.. THANK YOU

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

In the Barnes Reloading Manual Number 4 the most accurate load shown for the 22-250 Remington and the 36 grain Varmint Grenade is shown to be loaded with BL-C(2). The COAL is 2.350". With BL-C(2) in the 22-250 and the 36 gr Varmint Grenade the minimum load is 37.0 grains at 3961 fps, the maximum load is 40.5 grains at 4348 fps. They do not show a barrel twist warning for the 36 gr Varmint Grenade but on the Barnes 45 gr BNND SPIT bullet it shows to use a 1-12" or faster twist barrel.

#3 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

. I would like to use another powder.. the barnes manual and the load data doesn't work for the most part is what I was told... I understand that most people go back to their usual loading information.. I know there are a lot of very intelegent people on this site regarding firearms and everything related to the topic.. I would like to pick their brains for info. I have learned a lot from this forum.. and am glad I found it.. the 36 gr stuff is much lighter than I was using

#4 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

. I would like to use another powder.. the barnes manual and the load data doesn't work for the most part is what I was told... I understand that most people go back to their usual loading information.. I know there are a lot of very intelegent people on this site regarding firearms and everything related to the topic.. I would like to pick their brains for info. I have learned a lot from this forum.. and am glad I found it.. the 36 gr stuff is much lighter than I was using

If I knew you were wanting replies from intelligent people I wouldn't have replied. :wacko: I am pretty sure most of the intelligent 22 caliber center fire shooters were not shooting lead free bullets until they were forced into it within the last 18 months. What it comes down to is, if the only lead free bullet that shoots real accurate in a 1-12" or 1-14" twist barrel 22-250 is a 36 grain bullet, those 22-250 rifles won't ever be the rifle that they were while shooting 52 gr to 60 gr lead bullets. :two-cents:

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

I think you will be stuck on the 36 gr .You will need a 1-10 twist in order to shoot 50 gr and above.i just got a 223 in a 1-8 twist and will be testing some Vgs soon.

#6 Panoche_Walker

Panoche_Walker

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

I was able to get reasonable results with the 36gr VG's in a 1 in 14 .222 Remington. I am continuing to use up the 50 gr lead bullets, which do shoot better than the VG's, but I haven't really put in time to do load development on the VG's yet. With the TSX's, I had my best luck with their "most accurate" powder choice, so I would actually start with those, or as close as you could come. That said, I didn't actually use their powder choice for the 222, but it had a burn rate in the same ballpark as their favorite. If we're talking about the smart folks here, I'm not in that group. I can count my reloading years on one hand.Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

#7 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

I DIDN'T MEAN TO IMPLY THAT YOU WERE NOT INTELEGENT.. I AM SORRY YOU TOOK IT THAT WAY... I SIMPLY TYPED OUT SOMETHING FAST AND SHORT TO THE POINT.. I RESPECT EVERYONES OPINION... YOURS INCLUDED... I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR MANY YEARS.. HOWEVER, I DON'T KNOW NEAR AS MUCH AS MANY WHO HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR HALF THE TIME.. I AM SORRY I USED THE WORD INTELEGENT.. AGAIN I AM SORRY I OFFENTED SO MANY OF YOU... THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION..

#8 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

rollingstone, you don't have to apologize to anyone. I should have put a "LOL" at the end of that sentence instead of a B) What powder do you have or what powder do you want to reload in the 22-250 with the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade? The Barnes Reloading manual shows loads with, Win 748, BL-C(2), H335, TAC, Varget, IMR 4320 and RL 15.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

I think you will be stuck on the 36 gr .You will need a 1-10 twist in order to shoot 50 gr and above.

Maybee not. I have a friend at work that is shooting the 50gr VGs in a Rem. 700 22-250 that has a 1-14 twist.

#10 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THOSE LITTLE FACES REPRESENT. I AM NEW TO THIS FORUMS STUFF.. I AM NOT MUCH OF A COMPUTER PERSON ANYWAY.. AND GREAT.. I ONLY FOUND 2 POWDERS IN THE BARNES MANUAL FOR THE 36gr 22-250.. RL15 AND BL-C(2).. GOT IT OFF THE WEB SITE ...HOPING FOR 760 DATA BUT HOW DID YOU GET THAT DATA THANKS

#11 ronin

ronin

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

COULD YOU HELP ME? I have a 22-250.. 1/14 twist I would like to load 36gr barnes varment gernade.. WHAT POWDER WOULD YOU SUGGEST and how many grains was using 760.. thinking either that or H335... NOT SURE... I HATE THIS NEW COPPER JUNK.. got my rifle just the way I wanted.. it is like starting over..The barnes reloading manual is worthless.. THANK YOU

It just so happen that I fired some test loads today at the range with my 22-250 using the 36 gr Barnes VG and H335. I got good results with my 2nd load so I didn't bother to shoot the others. I had a 5-shot group that measured .616 inches using 35.0 gr H335, Fed 210 primers, Win brass, w/ 2.350" O.A.L. The rifle was a Win Varminter SS bull barrel. Hope this helps.

#12 rollinstone

rollinstone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

HEY THANK YOU.. A PLACE TO START.. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK THE 36gr WILL DO FOR A COYOTE.. GIVIN NOT TOO MUCH WIND AND ALL.. THEY SEEM SO DANG LIGHT I GOT A BOX OF 100 ON THE CHEAP SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY THEM.. MY RIFLE WAS USED TO 55 gr I ALSO HAVE SOME OF THE BARNES 53grTSX GOING TO TRY ,,SEE WHICH WORKS BEST.. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT

#13 ronin

ronin

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

I just got back from a 2 day ground squirrel shoot. There were 3 of us taking turns shooting. I shot 100 rds of .223 and 150 rds of 22-250, both using the 36 gr Barnes V-G. I was disapointed with the terminal results. You can clearly see the difference in performance between the 36 gr Barnes V-G and the 40 gr Hornady V-max. The 40 gr Hornady V-max were clearly more explosive to the lil varmints and the Barnes did not expand as well as the Hornady bullets. All this to say is that I think the 36 gr Barnes V-G just might work for you on the coyotes. I haven't had a chance to try them out on coyotes yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users