• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

Well took the new gun to the range today. and good and bad thingsFirst off the gun shoots great. But I was having trouble feeding the ammo from the magazine to the chamber. The tip of the bullet kept getting kicked up at the wrong angle and it would jam before it entered the chamber. Any one have any ideas I really hate to have to send it back and wait for it to get fixed. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

Well took the new gun to the range today. and good and bad thingsFirst off the gun shoots great. But I was having trouble feeding the ammo from the magazine to the chamber. The tip of the bullet kept getting kicked up at the wrong angle and it would jam before it entered the chamber. Any one have any ideas I really hate to have to send it back and wait for it to get fixed. Robert

Robert,I had an issue with the 93 HMR when I first received it. It would hang up when rechambering the second cartridge. For some reason, the clip wasn't locking all of the way up into the receiver when the gun was reloaded when the bolt was closed. When the bolt was open, it would slip all of the way up and click into place.This happend a few times when I first got the rifle. I haven't had any issues with it since then. It might be that I just wasn't use to the way it works. It is one thing I don't particularly like about the savages that I own. The clip insertion isn't very smooth on any of them.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

Robert, For some reason, the clip wasn't locking all of the way up into the receiver when the gun was reloaded when the bolt was closed. When the bolt was open, it would slip all of the way up and click into place.This happend a few times when I first got the rifle. I haven't had any issues with it since then. It might be that I just wasn't use to the way it works. It is one thing I don't particularly like about the savages that I own. The clip insertion isn't very smooth on any of them.db

dbThis has the internal clip. I too had the same problem with savage HMR and it went away after a few hundred rounds. Not sure if this is the same type of thing I posted over at Savage shooter also hopefully some one has had the some problem and the fix will be minor. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#4 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

I had the same problem with mine and my problem was that when I loaded it I wasn't pushing the round all the way back into the mag. It would still let me put other rounds in but had problems feeding.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#5 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

I have not had a problem with my Savage. Suggestion.....make sure when loading additional rounds in the internal clip, each casing is as far back as possible??? Steve

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:08 PM

I've never had a problem either but can attest to having the rounds all the way back in the magazine. I usually only load one round at a time and have special followers now just for this purpose.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

I got a few responces at Savage shooter and it seems that it has been a problem with WWB 45 grain the hollow pt tip is to flat or somehting. I will pick up some new ammo and give it a try when I take my next trip to the range. I guess I caan by some other ammo and just try cycling it at hoem also. Thanks again guys Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

Try some Black Hills V-max reloads. I've never ever had a loading problem with a V-max tipped round. Maybe it's the plastic tip that helps it get started. :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

My 12FV doesn't have any problems feeding the WWB 45gr HP ammo either. Did you strip the rifle yet? If you did, make sure you replace the magazine follower correctly. You might have it flipped around backwards. ???

#10 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

My 12FV doesn't have any problems feeding the WWB 45gr HP ammo either. Did you strip the rifle yet? If you did, make sure you replace the magazine follower correctly. You might have it flipped around backwards. ???

I have not stripped the rifle. Later this week I should have some time to get to it. I am finishing up my last class of the semester and have a 5-10 page paper due Wednesday aalong with a chapter review and a three page interview paper. needless to say I am busy. Once i knock this stuff off hopefully by tomorrow night i will get a chance to take a better look at it. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#11 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

Called Savage they are going to send me a new follower assembly to try and see if that will fix the problem. I hope this worksRobert
Rocklin,Ca

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hope that works. In the mean time, try looking to see if your follower is in backwards. ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users