18 replies to this topic

#1 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

After hours and hours of research and review reading I decided to go with the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I've done some reading on how to use it and had it in the field with me on a trip yesterday, im getting the knack of using it but have a few questions for someone that owns one, before I spew my questions I'll make sure someone responds....thanks fellasRobbie
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

I just gave my old CSx to my folks, but might be able to answer.

#3 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Ok one of my questions is it comes with a disc so you can upload your travels, and OMG that map disc is LAME!!! So I seen that you can purchase a topo map for an additional price with more detail (shocker)....so my question is why would you spend the $129 there asking for for this map info that you can upload or download to your receiver when you can upload your traveled places to google earth? And my other questions is if you turn off your gps unit while tracking will it still show your tracks?Thanx a bunch

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

The topo software you're looking at is for uploading to the GPSr. With the topo data uploaded you'll be able to see it on the screen as you're out and about with the unit. The difference between it and Google is that you can only see where you have been with Google where as the software allows you to see it "live".No, if you turn off your GPSr it stops recording the track right there.That's a GREAT unit for geocaching, by the way.

#5 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Ok so that makes a bit more sense now, so in your opinion is it worth it to buy the topo trail map? And I still haven't done much reading up on this geocaching thing but from what little I've heard its some kind of treasure hunting game, please feel free to clue me in on it.Thanks

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

What do you want to do with your GPS?Yes, geocaching is a world wide game of sorts and its FREE. People go out and hide a cache and record it's location with their GPS. They record the cache description, contents and coordinates on the geocaching website. When you decide to to go find a cache you can search by address, zip code, or even GPS coords to see if there is a cache in that area. It pulls up the list of found caches. Your Garmin will interface with the website and you can actually upload the cache data from the website directly to your GPS unit. You do need to register for a free account to be able to use the geocache data and features.http://www.geocaching.com/

#7 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

I bought it so that I could see where I've been via google earth, also if im in a location and would like to know whats on the other side of a certain hill I'll know where to referrence it from. It doesn't hurt also to have something to can guide you out if incase you do get lost. Its cool to be able to map out a trip, see your altimeter, use a gps and other various things. Basically just always wanted one.As for the geocaching that sounds pretty cool, I can just see the pranks now...someone leaving a bag of stale pickles back in the woods that took somone an hour to get to :closedeyes: , if that happened to me in some 90 degree weather i'd be :fuhrer:

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

I found a geocache by accident one time. I stopped to check on a newborn calf and saw it hid in fence post. I would like to have a gps for hunting one day.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#9 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

What did you find?

#10 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

I found a pill bottle with trinkets in it. It had a peice of paper in it that people sign and date when they find it. The paper also explains about geocaching. They painted top of bottle brown to match fence. It was and still is hid very well on Jasper Lane in Wheatland.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#11 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have a 60CS with the topo map. Its worth depends completely on your usage. If you're going to be riding around and near trails, it's not worth buying. If you're going to be hiking out a lot in a hilly area, it's invaluable for plotting the easiest path and marking key locations.I've brought mine hunting, but never used it for more than geocacheing. I've also used it to plan trail runs, however, and for that it was extremely worthwhile.Funny thing: There's actually a geocache in the parking lot of my office building. Took me an embarrassingly long time to find it.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

I use my CSx everywhere. I also purchased the City Map software and use it as an everyday GPS if I'm going somewhere far or where I've never/rarely been. I do not have the topo features, but I do have a slough of websites for free maps...they are at work, I'll post them for you tomorrow.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#13 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

I use my CSx everywhere. I also purchased the City Map software and use it as an everyday GPS if I'm going somewhere far or where I've never/rarely been. I do not have the topo features, but I do have a slough of websites for free maps...they are at work, I'll post them for you tomorrow.

Thats awesome Jeff, and thanx I appreciate it tons!

#14 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

I also have the 60csx and bought the Topo chip for the western US. The Topo is great for being able to see whats ahead and planning routes. I've also used it a lot when going to new places with buddies to be able to find my way back. Especially in Mendocino Nat'l forest.The tracking feature is great.I also use it when I hike just to track my milage and elevation gains. Its a great unit.If I had to do it again I would probably buy the Rhino though as I hunt with a guy who's got one and its got the built in radio plus it tells you where you're partner is.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#15 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

These are just pulled from my notes, they may or may not be of use.Topo of CA http://www.vr6.com/gps/ General stuff...scroll down http://freegeography...g-gps-map-files http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ Make google maps from waypoints... http://www.gpsvisual...map?form=google
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#16 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Thats SOO cool Jeff, thanks man I really appreciate it, now I just have to get out and buy a 2gb micro sd card, thanks again.

#17 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Robs~i have the same GPS and love it, i use it for fishiing (tide tables and my spots) and tons of other stuff! so so handy, you got any ?'s about it i might be able to help, let me know

#18 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Thanks gotsch, thats much appreciated!!

#19 t o double d

t o double d

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Adventure/Dual Sport/Offroad motorcycling, Ocean fishing from my kayak, camping, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

You probably already bought the topo softwear, but here's a free one...http://www.gpsfilede...om/maps/view/28I haven't used the CA map, but I did use the free ID map and it worked very well. I use it for offroad motorcycle trips, where I cover 1500+ miles and see pavement only to get gas and camp along the way. I've been in some extremely remote areas that get very little use and these topo maps showed the roads really well.You will still need a copy of Map Source to use these topos with. I don't remeber how I got mine, it might've come with the unit...Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users