Photo

Are there any 6.5 Grendel shooters here?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

I am just wondering how many 6.5 Grendel shooters we have on the forum. If you shoot a Grendel and you'd like to discuss any aspect from building to reloading, accessories, long-range shooting, etc. Drop me a note. If you are interested in more information about the 6.5 Grendel, by all means, please chime in too.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi there Deser Dog. I am a strong advicate for the Grendel. I loved my Hunter Model. Unfortunally I had to part from it beacuse I am downsizing my toys inventory :closedeyes: due to the coming of my first child. I still have plans to purchase a new in the future....that is if they are not banned by then. That grendel was a beauty....straight shooter, relatively light, and easy to maintain.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

No kidding. I am really sold on the caliber. I just worked up a load for Sierra 107 HP Match bullets that really rocks. I gave five loaded rounds to a buddy and they all touched at 100-yards from his 16" Grendel too. Your first child will open up feelings and insights that you never dreamed of before. The sound of their laughter, their little hugs, the words, "I love you Daddy", and all of the other loving gifts that God throws in along with the experience are priceless. Once you get through the slepp deprivation baby part.....LOL
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 glane5910

glane5910

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Greetings, I am new to the forum and also shoot the 6.5. I just finished building not long ago so I haven't worked up any loads other than listed stuff. I'm still fireforming brass. I have had very good results with Hornaday 95gr V-max and X-terminator powder. I've got some different bullets loaded now and ready to see how they shoot.Greg

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

I recently loaded up some Sierra 107 grain bullets and they gave me better than 1/2 MOA. I gave five rounds to a friend with a Grendel and he had similar results. If you're interested in the load, PM me and I'll send it to you. I also have some 140 grain Sierra loads that work.

#6 glane5910

glane5910

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I've only put the 95gr Vmax on paper and only one, 3 shot string that measured .417" CTC. 2 of them overlapped, measuring .147 CTC so I must've pulled that flyer B) They were loaded with 30.8grs of X-terminator. I'll chrono the load next and report back. I've got some 120gr Barnes TTSX, Barnes 110gr solids, 107 and 123 SMK's and 123 Lapua Scenars loaded but haven't shot them yet. I'll probably try them out later this week. I'm shooting an 18" Lothar Walther bbl.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back on and answer your post. My load for the Sierra 107 grain bullets is 27.5 grains of V140. This load is very accurate. I set the bullets to just fit the magazine. My 120-grain Barnes TSX load is the same charge of 27.5 grains of V140. It shot under an inch too. Good enough for hunting larger game. I also loaded up some 140 grain Sierra spitzers and pushed them with 24.5 grains of V140. Accuracy was about 3/4". I just built some more 140 grain loads and up the charges. We'll see how they do when I am able to get to the range again.I am shooting a 16" Alexander Arms barrel.

#8 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about building a 6.5 grendel and am looking for suggestions.

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

I am not sure what kind of suggestions you are looking for but I will make a couple of brief points. In my own (free) opinion, the main accuracy components are the barrel and the trigger. There is no need to purchase special uppers or lowers. Spike’s Tactical made both of my lowers and they were not expensive. I got my M4 uppers at Bravo Company and they were $100.00 each. My 16” barrel came from Alexander Arms and I paid about $260.00 for the barrel and complete bolt. If you PM me with your e-mail addy, I’ll drop you a parts list with supplier’s names.

#10 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

There will be one more shooter on here very soon!! Just need a few more parts!! :signgreatreport3kg: I can't wait!! Thanks again for all of your help!

#11 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

Red you don't see a benefit of a longer than 16" barrel?

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

No doubt there are benefits to a longer barrel. However, weight was a consideration for me. A 16" AA Grendel barrel is capable of holding a 3" group at 450-yards shooting 120-grain bullets. That group was shot in a club contest by my customer and friend Ken, using a Hawke Sidewinder scope and the Hawke ballistic program. Speaking for myself, that is all the accuracy I will ever need. Naturally, it is a personal choice.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Red, can you pm me a parts list and picture of your complte AR? I didn't take a good look at it last weekend. Ron

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

Red, can you pm me a parts list and picture of your complte AR? I didn't take a good look at it last weekend.Ron

It was SWEET!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#15 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

I have been looking at building a 65 upper also.

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   17.36KB   33 downloadsHere is a pic of my Grendel before I replaced the 6-24 X 50 Bushnell 4200 Elite with the Hawke Sidewinder scope. I'll have to send you the parts list from home.OK Ron. I found a copy of the list here and sent it in a PM.Red

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

Got it! I have a built lower just waiting for an upper. Now I need to sell my M1 carbine to pay for it.

#18 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   17.36KB   33 downloadsHere is a pic of my Grendel before I replaced the 6-24 X 50 Bushnell 4200 Elite with the Hawke Sidewinder scope. I'll have to send you the parts list from home.OK Ron. I found a copy of the list here and sent it in a PM.Red

What's that bad boy weigh? What're the specs on that scope? I like it!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#19 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

I am not sure of the Grendel's weight Bruce. Next time I am in the vault, I'll attempt to weigh it. As for the scope, it was a Bushnell 4200 Elite tactical 6-24 X 50. I replaced it with a Hawke Tactical. You would not like the Bushy....narrow field of view.

#20 jfk742

jfk742

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, cigars, and trail riding (no motorcycle at the moment).

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Just got mine finished. ST-15 lower RRA NM trigger, AA24" overwatch topped with a SWFA 10x42HD. Just started working up loads for it with 123 smk's and have had some promising results, though the powder seems to be burning pretty dirty (win 748, blc2). If you had any pet loads you would like to share Desert Dog it would be much appreciated.John

#21 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Got it! I have a built lower just waiting for an upper. Now I need to sell my M1 carbine to pay for it.

Jawbreaker, can you share your parts list with us. I have the stripped lower and complete Alexander Arms upper. I need everything else.

#22 NorCalRifleman

NorCalRifleman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gun nut, plain and simple. Emphasis on the accurate kind.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

I haven't looked at the 6.5 in a while, but I just started handloading and have considered building an upper for my AR with a little more thump. Who is making good barrels+bolt sets for the 6.5 these days, aside from Alexander Arms of course.

#23 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

Red, my 6.5 Gredel is ready to go.

#24 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Red, if you have a 6.5 Grendel non-lead load I may want to borrow what data you have. I'd like to put a good non-lead load together to cover the condor areas. Care to share?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users