• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

i did a little 243 shooting at the target today between rain showers. shooting 80 grain hps and 55 grain ballistic tips. As you would figure the 55s are real flat, however quite a bit of windage drift with a little wind. for the tall tough oat grass, ill most likley stick with the 80 grainers for the coyotes in the 243. what are you 243 shooters shooting??

#2 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

I've noticed that 55 and 70gr NBT's have the same poi at 100 yards. I thought that was kinda interesting
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

Sierra no longer makes the 75 grain spitzer but that's what we used to shoot. The 75 grain HP is good, too. Back when I shot a 243 the lightest bullet was 60 grains and they were pretty much considered to be barrel burners so not many people shot them. A friend of mine had a 6mm-06 that he shot the 60 grain bullets out of. The gun shot terrible but one night we killed like a dozen kit fox with it. They were almost vaporized.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#4 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

You guys will think I nuts, but I always shoot Sierras 100 gr sbt. I just like the bullet and so does my rifle. It's not affected by the wind much. I can use it on deer, pigs and yotes. It's good about anchoring what you shoot. And I don't have worry about what round to pick when I go out.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

I have been shooting the Sierra 85 grain spitzer for years...Love them
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

ehd, I would choose the 80 gr bullets over the 55 gr bullets also for the 243. Before I had to go lead free I really liked the 75 gr V-Max and my second choice was the Nosler 80 gr Ballistic Tip. Last season on Coyotes I used the Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades in my 243. They shot pretty good in my Rem 700 but I don't have any confidence in the 62 gr bullet. This next season I will be shooting the Barnes Tipped TSX 80 gr bullets out of my 243 Win and my 243 WSSM. I like having enough bullet weight so I can at least see where the bullet hits the ground when I miss. :wacko:
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

When I first got the 700 , i picked up a box of the 80 grain triple shock, and they shot well. i shoot 55s in the 22-250 ,but like the 80 grainers inthe 243, although not near as flat as the 55s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users