• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

i did a little 243 shooting at the target today between rain showers. shooting 80 grain hps and 55 grain ballistic tips. As you would figure the 55s are real flat, however quite a bit of windage drift with a little wind. for the tall tough oat grass, ill most likley stick with the 80 grainers for the coyotes in the 243. what are you 243 shooters shooting??

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

Sierra no longer makes the 75 grain spitzer but that's what we used to shoot. The 75 grain HP is good, too. Back when I shot a 243 the lightest bullet was 60 grains and they were pretty much considered to be barrel burners so not many people shot them. A friend of mine had a 6mm-06 that he shot the 60 grain bullets out of. The gun shot terrible but one night we killed like a dozen kit fox with it. They were almost vaporized.

#3 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

You guys will think I nuts, but I always shoot Sierras 100 gr sbt. I just like the bullet and so does my rifle. It's not affected by the wind much. I can use it on deer, pigs and yotes. It's good about anchoring what you shoot. And I don't have worry about what round to pick when I go out.

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

I have been shooting the Sierra 85 grain spitzer for years...Love them

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

ehd, I would choose the 80 gr bullets over the 55 gr bullets also for the 243. Before I had to go lead free I really liked the 75 gr V-Max and my second choice was the Nosler 80 gr Ballistic Tip. Last season on Coyotes I used the Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades in my 243. They shot pretty good in my Rem 700 but I don't have any confidence in the 62 gr bullet. This next season I will be shooting the Barnes Tipped TSX 80 gr bullets out of my 243 Win and my 243 WSSM. I like having enough bullet weight so I can at least see where the bullet hits the ground when I miss. :wacko:

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

When I first got the 700 , i picked up a box of the 80 grain triple shock, and they shot well. i shoot 55s in the 22-250 ,but like the 80 grainers inthe 243, although not near as flat as the 55s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users