• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

since i have bought my tikka 243, i have been looking for a good scope for it..i have almost settled for the weaver 4x 16..which recticle..fine crosshair, mildot, dueplex, fine crosshair with dot...can you guys and gals give me an opinion??? thank you glenn

#2 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

What are you going to be using the rifle for? That would be the first question.Long range, nightime,small game,deer,..need more info.
Don't be stupid

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

If it is for big game(deer/pigs/pronghorns/etc) then I would put a 3X9X40 leupold with the duplex reticle. IF you are going to use a weaver then the same or if you want a straight4X.If it is for varmits or target then get a fine crosshair and/or small dot and more power than 3X9. Something like 4-12 or as much as 32 on the top end. Heck even a straight 10 to 16 will work. The better the glass you but on it the happier you will be in the long run.

#4 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Im a huge fan of leupold and Mildots. I am a sniper that has deployd to Iraq and Afghanistan and has had success with the leupold. I feal that mildots are great if you are going to use them. I agree with diverhunter when he recommends a 3by 9 by 40 variable power scopes. Some people overdue the magnification of their scopes. Then when you want to make that close in shot you cant because you seletd an 8 by 20 scope. I have a 4power fixed on .223 rifle and can hit a milk jug at 500 yards. Also millet makes a scope that looks good but I havent personally used it but have had friends who said they like it for the price they paid. :smiley_kewlpics:

#5 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

thanks guys...i am going to be hunting deer,coyote and what ever leftfoot dishes out...thankyou for your imput..glenn

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

If that is what you plan to use it for then by all means get a leupold 3X9X40. I put one on my Tikka 6.5X55 and it looks good and works even better. If you are down this way you can stop by and try out mine or one of the other dozen rifles with a leupold 3X9X40. IF you feel the need for more power and money spent then get the leupold 3.5X10X40 VarriX-3. I put one of those on my 25-06 since I was able to get it for a good price and use the rifle for pronghorns.

#7 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Im a huge fan of leupold and Mildots. I am a sniper that has deployd to Iraq and Afghanistan and has had success with the leupold. I feal that mildots are great if you are going to use them. I agree with diverhunter when he recommends a 3by 9 by 40 variable power scopes. Some people overdue the magnification of their scopes. Then when you want to make that close in shot you cant because you seletd an 8 by 20 scope. I have a 4power fixed on .223 rifle and can hit a milk jug at 500 yards. Also millet makes a scope that looks good but I havent personally used it but have had friends who said they like it for the price they paid. :got_pics:

Hey River Rat Our you Army or Marine ? Thanks for your service to our country.I feel great respect for you and your fellow soldier's. What scope options did you have on your weapons? Do you care to share any experiences with CPC ?

#8 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

well i went and done it...i went to sportsman warehouse several times in the last couple of weeks and druled all over there scope case..i finally bought the leupold vx3 3.5X10X40mm cds... i decided to use the rings that came with the rifle but, as i put them on the rifle and began to tighten the screws down, i had two screws strip out..ssssooooo now i have werners coming from cabelas..i hardly put any pressure on the screws before they stripped out..what a piece of garbage...such is life..glenn

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

Duplex for medium and big game.Fine crosshairs, dots or ranging type of reticles for varminting.Mildots for man sized targets.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#10 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

how much do you want to spend on the scope?

#11 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hey River Rat Our you Army or Marine ? Thanks for your service to our country.I feel great respect for you and your fellow soldier's. What scope options did you have on your weapons? Do you care to share any experiences with CPC ?

Jarhead. Hey I have usede the almighty 10Xfixed unertl the leupold mark 4 the schmit and binder and I just got back from afghanistan were I was carrying an m14 with a 10X fixed leupold that had a BDC. I love leupold, the unertl, it is unbreakable and the schmit and binder is in mills. They all have there perks. You just have to find something you are comfortable with.

#12 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

well i went and done it...i went to sportsman warehouse several times in the last couple of weeks and druled all over there scope case..i finally bought the leupold vx3 3.5X10X40mm cds... i decided to use the rings that came with the rifle but, as i put them on the rifle and began to tighten the screws down, i had two screws strip out..ssssooooo now i have werners coming from cabelas..i hardly put any pressure on the screws before they stripped out..what a piece of garbage...such is life..glenn

The same thing happend to me when I bought my B aquare m14 mount that will tick a guy off.

#13 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Leupolds are hard to beat for the money. Very good quality for the price and a good guaretee. When dealing with action screws for accuracy, and small screws like base and ring screws all the time. A guy really needs something like this to get it done right. Here is a link to an inch pound screwdriver that works real well to keep guys like you and me from stripping out screws.Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque)
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#14 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

I agree Bennie, I use the Wheeler Fat wrench and love it. Makes everything simple and all the screws evenly torqued. Rings or mounts.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#15 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

how much do you want to spend on the scope?

i paid 558.00 for the scope before taxes..

#16 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

what i thought was cool is that leupold has this offer with the vx3 cds system..just give them the caliber and the velocity and bullet weight and they will customize a cds dial for your scope..i should get it soon..glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users