Photo

An example of my favorite type of ground squirrel shot. (VIDEO)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

When hunting California Ground squirrels, you get presented with every kind of shot imaginable, but this video clip, I think, sums up my favorite. It's not a gimee 29 yarder, it's at 55 yards which is my preferred sight-in distance for hunting these guys. It's a front on head shot, which makes it a bit more challenging than a side profile head shot, and the wind is working its magic. I'm sighted a little high at 55 yards, so the horizontal crosshair is about a half inch under his chin. Because of the rather brisk left to right wind that's blowing across the area, the vertical crosshair is held about one and a half squirrels into the wind. The pellet entered just under the ground squirrels nose and exited behind the right ear. This was a male, and I was hunting at 5000 feet where the rut is still in full swing. When I got over to him, it was obvious that he had gotten into a knock down drag out fight with another male squirrel, over who was going to get to spend the weekend with the pretty neighbor girl squeak. This guys back was pretty well chewed up. The males tend to get into some pretty good fights this time of year.View video here: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channelRifle with furball. Posted Image

#2 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

THAT, was a nice clip, lights out in a fraction of a blink.Thanks for sharing.

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Professional ....... all the way!

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

So cool. Love all your posts and stories :)

#5 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

VarmintAir, I love the slow mo. It's perfect. I never realizied that the air rifles had that kind of recoil (not felt but actual climb) you see in the camera shot. Very nice shooting.

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Great shot with an air rifle. I liked the video.

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Good shooting :653:

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

VarmintAir, I love the slow mo. It's perfect. I never realizied that the air rifles had that kind of recoil (not felt but actual climb) you see in the camera shot. Very nice shooting.

Thanks folks. Hunting, and making these video clips helps keep and old guy like me active and thinking young. :) There really isn't any recoil. What you are seeing is perceived as recoil though. What is happening is the camera picks up the vibration from the hammer hitting the valve stem, and the valve opening and closing, releasing the air into the barrel. It manifests itself in the video as a blur, and that looks like the gun recoiled when fired. Add in the slow motion playback, and the lowered frequency of the gun firing, which sounds sort of like a powder burner going off, and the perception is complete.I've tried shooting video with the camera mounted on a separate tripod, and there are inherent problems when hunting and trying to do that, but the thing that stood out to me the most was, the shots seem to be very sterile looking. The perceived recoil and muzzle blast at the shot, adds a dynamic to the videos, that most guys who also shoot powder burners, seem to like. I think it has a familiar look and sound that they almost expect to see and hear.Anyway, it's a lot of fun to do, and it's great to get to review the days hunt in slow motion. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users