• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

I just got home from a weekend Clamper function and I want to share my experience with a new tent that I picked up. After selling my travel trailer about a month ago, I had to scramble for a tent before this trip. I did a bunch of research & decided on a Kodiak Canvas tent, which is a knockoff of the old Springbar tents. After using a Coleman dome tent for the last 10 years I was a bit nervous on switching to a different style but wanted one that would be better suited for camping in rain, wind, & snow. After working all day and then driving almost 200 miles, myself & 2 friends arrived at the campground around 10pm and immediately started erecting the tent. The poles were a bit confusing at first but after a quick glance at the instructions the 3 of us had the tent set up in less than 10 minutes, including laying down a protective tarp first and driving in the heavy duty stakes that were included. I'm sure that I could set it up in about 5 minutes by myself now. Very straight-forward, simple, yet sturdy design... I have the 10'x10' #6055 model which was just perfect for 3 fullsized guys (2 of us on cots, the 3rd on a twin size air mattress), plus our duffle bags & a small foldable table which held the alarm clock & battery lantern. Kodiak lists the inside height as 6'6" which was more than enough myself (6'1") and my buddy Joe (6'2"). The tent is made with a very heavy duty waterproof floor that will help when camping in wet conditions, 2 vent openings in the top for summer time ventilation, 2 large windows, and D-rings around the top of the tent to be used for hanging clotheslines/lights/etc.Night temperatures dipped into the mid-to-low 30's with a slight wind friday night. We were toasty warm inside, with only a small hint of condensation on the inside canvas (which is VERY different from what I'm used to with a nylon tent). Saturday night brought low 30's and wind gusting to approximately 20mph, yet the tent didn't budge. When it came time to pack up sunday, we had the tent swept out, broke down, rolled up, and placed into the oddly designed-but-effective storage bag within 15 minutes. My only very small complaint is that the top corner of the doors were kind of hard to zip where the zipper curves downward but I'm sure they will get easier with some more usage. I have to say I am really pleased with my purchase and would recommend others to consider a Kodiak tent in the future!FYI- Kodiak is distributed by Competitive Edge Products and is sold through Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, & others along with Competitive Edge's website (www.competitiveedgeproducts.com). But, you can log on to Ebay and search "Kodiak" in the tent section. Competitive Edge is an Ebay seller and you can usually get a better price through their Ebay auctions instead of ordering through their website. I paid $350 shipped to my front door via Ebay, CPE's website lists it at $359.99 + $35 in shipping charges.I'll post pictures soon.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

How'd your PBCs do Wes?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

They made me proud! I could tell Joe's patience was starting to wear thin by the time we got around to the Hall of Comparative Ovations (which I was asked to be part of!!! :653:) but Mike really got into it. They were on the cookcrew for both breakfast & lunch, then volunteered again for dinner even though they were already redshirted. That definitely impressed the greybeards! I have a few pictures but we took most of the pictures with Joe's camera and I'm waiting for him to email them to me (which is why I haven't posted a pic of my new tent yet). I've got a few funny stories about this Doin's that I'll have to tell you the next time we talk on the phone...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

Still waiting on my buddy to send me his pics but these were on my camera, kind of hard to see it behind the EZ-Up & camp chairs...Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Wes, good write-up and thanks for being the "Product Tester" :roflmao3[1]: ... I like the design and sounds like it worked out well for you. Personally, I'm looking for an canvas outfitters tent...always wanted one for our group hunts out of state. If anyone has recommendations on them I'd love to hear 'em.
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

Only reason I didn't go with a full-blown outfitter's wall-style tent is because I wanted something that I could quickly put up by myself in the dark if I had to. I've been told the wall tents are nice but take a long time and/or multiple people to put up. There was a thread on here a few months ago regarding tents and someone mentioned the Springbar tents. After looking into the Springbars, I found the Kodiaks and so far I'm really, really happy with it. Family & I are going camping for a few days right after Memorial weekend so I'll be able to report more later.

#7 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

:drinks: ...btw, I may have missed it, but did you get your bird?
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

I've had a few people give me the bird...but if you're talking turkeys then no, I haven't. Not from a lack of opportunity though! It's just that I wouldn't really enjoy shooting one as he's standing in my driveway (unless it's with my bow). :smiley_kewlpics: Maybe next week I'll crawl out into the brush and see if I can call one in.

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Looks like a nice tent! I love canvas..if you get one of those small buddy heaters you wuld be toasty warm in a blizzard :smiley_kewlpics: We have the canvas outfitters tent and I will say it does take either a strong person or a helper to set up.. Mainly because of the weight, laying out the frame isnt too bad, but when you get the roll and set it on the ridge to roll out lets just say by myself it would still be laying on the ground..having 2 or 3 people is definetly a huge bonus. COurse if it were a smaller one I could probably do it okay. They make a TON of accesories for canvas tents! I actually use quite abit of stuff designed for horses.. Those trailer door organizers that hold brushes and bottles and such are awesome inside a wall tent :) As are portable bridle racks.. they make great coat racks..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users