17 replies to this topic

#1 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

OK guys new to this forum looking for some help, the GOAL for this year is to kill as many coyotes as I can before years end. OK honestly I have never shot a coyote in my life however, I hope to soooon with all your guys help. I first need to get a caller, budget hasn't been raided by wife yet so funds are available! max $800 bucks. Considering Fox Pro any suggestions and or comments? Thanks in advance Octavio

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Go buy a handcall from Braz and spend that money on a new gun instead of an over rated e-caller that costs way too much money. But maybe keeping up with the joneses with the latest and greaest e-caller is fine till next year when they come out with another newer, grander, prettier model with even another dozen new sounds that are sure to entice a coyote into shooting range for an extra hundred bucks more. Too many guys seem to think that an e-caller is the answere to their prayers, not so. Learning the ropes and time afield is what gets coyotes....Walt

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

I strongley agree can't beat a good hand call more control and less money. next learn all you can about coyotes , they are smart..

#4 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the advice I will buy a how to video and some calls to get started, as for the e-caller since its making all the noise i just figured their would be less movement and I could keep my eyes on the field. I understand coyotes are very smart and can detect movement from very far away. Thanks again..

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

First, Octavio, welcome to the CPC and the greatest sport on earth. Predator hunting! Well, as usual Walt and Old Timer nails it... Even though I L O V E my e caller! LOL Actually, I use both my mouth calls and e caller, However...I too felt a little uneasy for you to run out and spend a lot of $$$ on an e caller. Unless you just want to of course! The reason I say that is, you may want to give predator hunting a try first to see how well you will like it before laying out more $$ than is needed. Plus the fact that mouth calls DO work in other words, no matter how Bad one sounds with it. lol (true story)But to try and answser your question, Fox Pro is always good and is the one I own. Manaski(sp?) is another one I always hear great things about, but have no personel experience with. The key to any e call is to get good quality sounds on them. All sounds are not good sounds. However, "Lightning Jack" is a popular distress rabbit sound... At least every coyote in the country loves it; whether they respond to it (anymore) or not! lol (just kidding)Anyway, good luck and keep us postedFrank

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

On the dvds... Do yourself a favor and be sure to at least include a couple of Randy Anderson's. He also has at least one with Primos called "Mastering the Art"/speak the language that is excellent. Check out "ALLPREDATORCALLS.COM" on the net... a one stop shop for all your predator needs. Give A.P. Jones a call... you'll be glad you did :good: Good LuckFrank

#7 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the advice Frank I will take a look at your suggestions. And don't worry I have been hunting, hand loading, and shooting for years and I don't plan on stopping now. As for the e caller I might go ahead and get one any way. I just got two hand held callers and a DVD from Primos, to give it a try, and I have been out twice with no luck, so it only makes things that much more interesting and challenging eventually i will get my first dog. I have loaded a special rifle and cartridge for this task. Any suggestions on an area to hunt within 3 hours of orange county? Thanks Octavio

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Not really... Just the standard San Diego, Salton Sea, Big Bear & the grapevine areas. Looking down on a map & heading in any direction that is within approx 3 hrs puts you into these (& other) general areas. Of course more detailed BLM, Forestry & Topo maps are a HUGE help, especially in determining private and public land.The lower elevations of the high sierras along with the western & eastern Mojave desert is another, including the Mojave Preserve that everyone in So Ca hunts. lol BUT, there are dogs there, including the ^%&** ones that howled back at me last month... but refused to come in. Uh, what kind of "special" rifle & load have you put together for your coyote hunting? Inquiring minds & all! And yes, perserverance will definitely pay off / get you that 1st dog.RegardsFrank

#9 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

I am waiting on my topo maps and I will start researching. Or I have a Friend who frequently hunts coyotes in Arizona so I might just tag along with him. Any way I have a couple of rifles but Ive set my mind on shooting my first coyote with my 17 Remington fireball :smiley_kewlpics: (hopefully with in 150yds)I loaded 30 grain Berger and 25 grain Hornandy bullets their up their in the 3850 fts and 3980 fts.Ive bin able to test both loads on ballistic gel and on some ground rats and both very devastating. Penetration is pretty good a couple of inches, however the crater size hole the bullets create is amazing I'm assuming its the velocity behind the bullet and the polymer tip on the Hornandys. And if all else fails I will turn to my 223 or my 243. Regards Octavio

#10 predcaller

predcaller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

I agree with the input from the other people, get a mouth blown call and learn to use it.An e-call will work on uneducated animals but a blown call will work if there are animals around. I have not used a hand call from Braz I make my own using Elk horn or other natural materials with a Weems or Sercie reed. Learn as much as you can about the habits of the animals you want to call. Getting with an experienced caller is a great step on the road to ruination ( a Predator caller) :smiley_kewlpics: .

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Sounds like you're all set / heading in the right direction... on all of it! Always easiest to learn from a mentor of course and thus might be a good idea to head to Arizona. While I do not own one, I really like the .17 Fireball. One friend has one and another friend has the .17 Rem, both great calibers. I think you are gonna love that Fireball. And yes, speed definitely kills!Good Luck & keep us postedFrank

#12 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the input, I will post pics of my first one, once I get situated and out in the field. Octavio

#13 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Walt and Frank have said what needs to be said. get a hand call and get out there. It takes practice and time spent. Come July and August, when the pups are new to the field, you will grow with them and be ready for the smart ones that are left over this fall and winter. Good luck, and welcome to the club.db

#14 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Bozsik I have the hand calls ready to go and now i am researching public land on topo maps ill be out their soon.

#15 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

If you need a cheap e-caller, get a Johnny Stewart Attractor. A $30-$40 caller with limitations, that really does work. Supplement that that with some hand calls, and ck Varmint Al's hunting website for some good tips.

#16 LandSea&Air

LandSea&Air

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Hutch will check that out.

#17 hay big dogg

hay big dogg

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:hunting,riding, truckin

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Went out yesterday with two hours until sunset. Took the fox pro out for the first time. Got all setup and put the caller on baby cottontail it didn't take five mins I had this big brown yote comming in at full speed towards the caller :yikes[1]:when he was 50 yards away the wind shifted he knew exactly were I was at, he stop and started running back to the brush were he had came from. I waited 15 mins and put the caller on yote pup dist he came running out to the caller again. As he got in 40 yards I stopped the caller and so did he. I got my 204 fur friendly and put the cross+hairs on him and dropped him in his tracks. The fox pro impress me a lot! The plan couldn't come together any better. Yote # 2 for the year. Going to go out to the beef ranch this weekend, let see if I can bag another one. Posted Imageworks for me :smiley_kewlpics:

#18 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

Those are nice callers, wish I had one. Good job on the dog also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users