12 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

While I have been looking here than there for the things I should have on a predator hunt, I have found many. I have yet to purchase anything so far but my rifles. ( a .223 and a .308). If you have three catigories called: 1) Stuff you must have2) Stuff that is nice to have3) stuff marketed to newbs that has no business on a huntWhat category would you put a gillie suit in and why

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hunting licenseElectronic caller and mouth calls.Net camo jacket and pants that I slip over my clothes.BinocularsRangefinder for checking the range of landmarks in the areaSmall camo bag or backpack for carrying it all.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Water. First aid kit. food, gun and bullets, license, binos, backpack, calls, camo, cell phone, knife, hat, glasses and ear plugs are what I take. Plus or minus a few other things.

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Honestly I've always been to Embarrased to wear a Guille Suit in the field.Like we can all atest to, we're never really alone in the field.I've seen some goofy SOB's out in the woods, aswell as some real dip sticks out in the rice fields.The last thing I would want to do is to try to explain to some wide eyed family of 4 why exactly I was dressed up like a tree or a bush.When I was younger, I tried the face paint thing, & I forgot to wipe it off before I went into a store, the manager came up to me & mentioned to me that I needed to go home & wash my face :roflmao3[1]:

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I carry a back pack with calls, bullets, water, rangefinder, knife & still, small rope, binoculars, cell phone, lens cleaning cloths & pen, tripod, camera, face mask, food, and a yoga mat to sit on when it is wet. I keep my hunting license in my wallet at all times. This is what I can think of off of the top of my head. My back pack is starting to get too heavy. But to go hunting all I have to do is grab gun and pack and I am ready. I change clothes before I go hunting and wear what ever I think will match the country I am in.

#6 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

I wear one on every hunt. The coyotes will spot you for sure otherwise. I always wear my camoflage contact lens, camo BVD's and douse myself liberally with coyote bitch-in-heat urine to make sure they don't wind me, or if they do they still want to come get some :signtripledogdare2wf:Seriously, this isn't a counter sniper mission. Generally when I decide to go call I put on a camo ball cap and get in the pickup. Calls and rifle are usually found on the front seat, ready to go. Brown carhartt coat and blue jeans seem to be fine camo for this area, so long as a guy tries to use a little bit of rock or brush as cover. I'd bet a brown drab coat blends in as well as camo would in this area. Green camo isn't really the best color to blend in with dry grass and rocks here in the desert. Biggest thing is to not skyline yourself, hide behind or infront of something that hides your outline and DON"T MOVE. I rarely go calling more than a few miles from the house so I don't need to worry about much more than a rifle, call and cell phone, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have to spend a bunch of money on dog poop to call coyotes. I've killed a few and only have invested in a couple of hand calls, a howler, and rifles I would own anyway. It doesn't have to be expensive, all you really have to do is make sure you enjoy yourself.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

I have two ghillie suits but I've only hunted with one of them, one time. The only hunting I see them as being usefull for is turkey hunting. I do wear face paint and a ghillied out boonie hat when I'm duck hunting though. It helps break up the shape of the barrel blind hole.

#8 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

Ghilles are over kill all you need is a small piece of personal neeting. The things I have on a hunt are A POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.

#9 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

If I were to wear a ghillie suit where I hunt I would get all tangled up in the brush and need someone to help me get unstuck. Way over rated for what we do. I have shot many, many coyotes wearing nothing but a pair of shorts a tank top and sandals. I generally wear my worn out camo but it really isn't neccassary. As for everything else, well, that's up to you. I am a minamalist and only carry a call, gun, buttpad and the most important thing of all toilet paper. This has served me well for many years. All the rest is just whatever one believes he or she needs to pack around to a stand. And there is a lot of stuff out there on the market to catch predator hunters money and not really neccassary to call and shoot coyotes...Walt

#10 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

I kind of figured I didnt really need one, but I though I would ask the more experienced callers. I have some old digital desert cammies from when I was on active duty. I can just wear them. That way my wife won't care what I get all over them (LOL) Got an old boonie cover I can throw a net over too. So I guess I just need to acquire a call or two and a place to hunt and I am all set. Thanks for all the info.

#11 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

I own a guillie suit and wanted one since I was a kid. I thought I might look a bit silly walking into or out of a field wondering what others might think of me, but in all the times I've worn it I've never encountered another person, lucky me I guess.Anyways here's my hunting ritual...I drive to the field in shorts or sweat pants with comfortable shoes and a tee shirt, change into my hunting gear and when done hunting and back at my car I get back into my comfortable stuff. As for what I take in the field...hunting license utility belt rifle foxproammo spare batteriesbackpack guillie suitwater bottles cell phonelunch 9mm/spare clipcamera knifebinos ropeAnd hopefully leave the field with a kill....

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

I don't wear a guillie suit but I have leafy camo pants and jacket and swear by them. they are light weight and you wear them over your clothes so you can take them off as soon as you leave the field and if you are going to get camoed up anyways why not use something that breaks up your outline better. :good:

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Gun. bullets for the gun. and a sharp knife the one in my pocket will do. Bottle of water. or pepsi. and some kind of animal call. aslong as it sounds like its dieing.. The right attitude and some luck. and if that dos not work the ground rats catch hell. Got to kill somthing. :lol: ;) PS. I do not like netting or paint on my face. Thumpers allways fussing about that. But take every thing you can if it makes you feel better. No one here will judge you.Now duck and deer hunting I take the kichen sink and the bath tub. Water water water water. I shot a deer a mile from the nearest road and it killed my butt getting it out, nice hot sunny day and forgot to bring Water :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :doh[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users