• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

Yesterday was my second day of shooting my bow after elbow surgery last year and on the first round of arrows I did this.Attached File  Archery_range_and_targets_008.jpg   41.85KB   61 downloadsAttached File  Archery_range_and_targets_009.jpg   39.49KB   53 downloadsI don't lay claim to be any marksman when it comes to shooting bows but it dosen't get right up the tail any more than that. When the rear arrow hit it was so dead center that the knock didn't explode like they often do. It just shoved it completely up the other shaft causing it to split. It was pretty cool looking but the down side is I did have to sacrifice an arrow for that to happen. The guy I was shooting with asked me if I would buy him a lotto ticket.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

And Mythbusters said it couldn't be done. :lol:

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

John,I've had a few over the years stick in the back but usually they were at some sort of angle to the first arrow. This one went right up the Gazoo. McHere's a little closer shotAttached File  1.jpg   38.31KB   19 downloads

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Never don it but seen it happen. Och two arrows gon. Still a good wall hanger.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

TD,I actually thought of you when I did it. You've been one of my inspirations lately with all of those skeward squeeks you've been nailing with your bow. I was using an old Bear Black Panther 45/50lb draw recurve that I had bought off of Ebay a few years ago. Mc

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

Id hang that on the wall along with the picture :lol: Looks like your consistent with your shots LOL

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

And Mythbusters said it couldn't be done. :)

I screamed at the television that entire episode because I watched my dad do it years ago and then repeated it myself some time after that. If you shoot enough, there is a good chance it will happen, especially with the thick aluminum arrows we were shooting at the time. Had a couple of occassions where the arrow actually bounced off the back of another arrow, exploded the knock, and shot the arrow backwards a few yards.You definitely have a wall hanger there Mackeralboy!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Jason I've seen it done many times and have one of my own I saved. But I used the Mythbusters comment because many of the stories they say are busted are true.Mc, I used to have my two arrows resting in the antlers of one of my archery deer mounts. Not sure where those arrows are now as I haven't seen it since we moved here 10 years ago. I had one of my bows out the other night too. A neighbor around the corner has some bails set up with like 150 yards to play with. So a few paper plates paid the ultimate price. It's like riding a bike, the shooting comes right back. As does not wearing an arm guard and smacking yourself with the string. :)

#9 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

Do it again !!!

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Jason I've seen it done many times and have one of my own I saved. But I used the Mythbusters comment because many of the stories they say are busted are true.[1]:

Agreed. Many times I've sat there shaking my head because they really didn't replicate the original conditions or the equipment wasn't the same. When they originally "busted" Carlos Hathcock's scope shot I was pacing around the room because they used the wrong equipment for that one. At least they revisted that one. Their firearms and bow myths particularly get me steamed because frankly they don't know enough about firearms to do a very good test.While not a mythbusters episode, I watched something the other day where the "expert" determined that the arrow heads made by native americans weren't really necessary because they could get just as deep penetration by sharpening the wooden arrow. It was just completely ignorant because the guy had no clue what he was talking about when it came to archery. His conclusion was basically, "the native americans wasted their time making arrow heads." He had no clue that it wasn't about depth of penetration it was about creating a bleeding wound so the deer died after a short blood trail. I swear that sometimes I want to shoot the television. :)

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

Agreed Jason. They are so called experts and don't have the sense God gave geese.

#12 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Not that we are geting off subject or anything, but I have to agree that there is to much "Expert Opinion" on TV. It's as if just because it's on TV it must be true. TV is a powerful medium with very little oversite as to what kind or how valid an "Expert Opinion" truely is. Before I get to far up on my soap box I will leave it at that and save the topic for another time. :good:

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Mackeralboy, I have done this twice since I've been shooting my bow, it does suck to loose arrows this way so I only shoot 3 arrow groups now to reduce the chance of robinhooding expensive arrows. One question, wich target were you aiming for? Because it looks like you are between your top and bottom targets. :horse apples: Good shooting, keep them straight and in the 10 ring.Ron

#14 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

While not a mythbusters episode, I watched something the other day where the "expert" determined that the arrow heads made by native americans weren't really necessary because they could get just as deep penetration by sharpening the wooden arrow. It was just completely ignorant because the guy had no clue what he was talking about when it came to archery. His conclusion was basically, "the native americans wasted their time making arrow heads." He had no clue that it wasn't about depth of penetration it was about creating a bleeding wound so the deer died after a short blood trail. I swear that sometimes I want to shoot the television. :horse apples:

Sure.... that is why the native's spent so much time making them. Only to shoot and loose them. Trust me, I've got a nice collection of arrowheads and some of them are really amazing. The amount of time they must have spent making them is unreal. They wouldn't have gone to all of that work if they didn't damn well need them. Experts.

#15 mwaters27

mwaters27

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

NICE SHOT!!! good luck in the field

#16 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

Speaking of mythbusters, last night they shot a musket ball at an ax to see if they could split it in two and hit two different targets with one shot. Legend has it that Col. David Crocket, former congressman from the great state of Tennesee, would make this shot on a regular basis. They put a double sided ax up so they would be shooting directly at the blade and a target on each side of the ax. I figured it was certainly possible if they could hit it just right and after a few shots they did it. I nearly came out of my seat I was so excited to see them confirm a myth about my childhood hero.

#17 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

I've made that shot myself with my 50 cal blackpowder rifle. It's really cool when you do it. And try shooting a playing card, standing on edge, at about 10 yards away. Cut the card in half with the shot. That's cool too.

#18 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

I can do the card trick with my shot gun. :signs1242cn:

#19 fndaway66

fndaway66

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Macboy. I see you shoot at South Bay Archery Club. I'm always down there with my Choc lab

#20 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

my bow shop has about 40 of those arrows with the owners name displayed next to there arrow and they have been open for 25 years

#21 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

Macboy. I see you shoot at South Bay Archery Club. I'm always down there with my Choc lab

Yeh I re-uped my membership this year after taking last year off due to elbow surgery. I haven't been there in a couple of weeks but when I do I bring my Black lab down. I like to go up on weekdays. that way I can take my time and the dog can roam and not pester anyone. I'm going to start heading up there more often now that deer season is just around the corner.

#22 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

Mackeralboy, I have done this twice since I've been shooting my bow, it does suck to loose arrows this way so I only shoot 3 arrow groups now to reduce the chance of robinhooding expensive arrows. One question, wich target were you aiming for? Because it looks like you are between your top and bottom targets. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Good shooting, keep them straight and in the 10 ring.Ron

Good eye. I was aiming for the Top target. Can't say that I have my elevation down yet but at least i'm grouping well.

#23 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

The grouping's all that counts now just dial those pins in and you're ready to go. I'm hopefully going to get out for a night bow hunt this weekend but the threshers are around so I may pass on the hunting

#24 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

No pins. I was using a second hand Bear Black Panther recurve that I bought a few years ago on Ebay.

#25 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I tryed a recurve for a while but didn't have the time to become a good shot so I went back to the wheel bow

#26 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

No pins. I was using a second hand Bear Black Panther recurve that I bought a few years ago on Ebay.

:) Thats the way to do it. :) Keep it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users