Photo

Discovery .22, DYNAMIC tin pellets, and ground squirrels.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I had a chance to get away last week for six days of ground squirrel hunting in California. I took three rifles, my AA 410ERBSL, an FX 2000, and my .22 Discovery with the James Linthicum stock on it. The plan was to hunt each gun for two days.I started with the Disco, and did so well with it in the new stock, and with the DYNAMIC tin pellets, that I hunted it the entire six days. As usual this time of year, the rut is in full swing and the squirrels were everywhere. The boys were energetically pursuing the gals, and the gals were playing hard to get. You know, just like in our world. ;) :lol: I headed over to a small canyon that I haven't hunted in a couple of years, knowing that I would have no problem finding furballs. I hadn't gone fifty yards when the first squirrel presented a head shot at about 45 yards. One shot was all it took and the "2009 Ground Squirrel Games" were officially underway.Within 20 minutes I had three more, with the longest shot being 71 lasered yards. It was one heck of a fun day. The body count was substantial. I hate it when that happens. :lol: The Disco has always been a fun gun, but with a properly proportioned stock, that fits me like a glove, it has gone from being a back-up gun to a definite starter. This little rifle loves the tin pellets. B)I got a bunch of great video clips too, but I've got to upload them and do some editing before they're ready for posting.Here's a picture of the rifle with those four squirrels.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

Man, that is a great looking gun.. :lol: Did you leave any squeeks for the rest of us? :lol:

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

The stock is really, really, nice. The rifle has been a tack driver since I got it, but the new, properly proportioned stock, makes it much easier for me to shoot it accurately. B)I didn't even put a tiny dent in the suckers. I'm planning another trip next month to work on the problem some more. :lol:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Very nice...sounds like a fun six days!

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

:lol: :lol:

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

Very nice...sounds like a fun six days!

In addition to being fun, I also found it to be very morally and spiritually uplifting. :lol: The squirrels, not so much so. :lol:

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

:lol: :lol:

Thanks, it's so much fun, I can hardly believe it's still legal. ;)

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Question about the DYNAMIC pellets...can you mark/scratch or score them easily..??? Was wondering just how hard they are....???

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Question about the DYNAMIC pellets...can you mark/scratch or score them easily..??? Was wondering just how hard they are....???

I can score them with my thumb nail. Not as easy to do as with lead pellets though. They are harder than lead pellets, but way softer than any airgun barrel. The friction coefficient is much lower than lead. They are really slippery.I just sighted in my RWS Rapier with them yesterday. Here's 5 PCP-2's at 30 yards. I'm getting ready for another trip to the Tejon for ground squirrels, so non-lead is the order of the day. As you can see, this rifle loves the things. Posted Image

#10 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

freekin sweet shootin rifle :smiley_kewlpics:

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:51 AM

I can score them with my thumb nail. Not as easy to do as with lead pellets though. They are harder than lead pellets, but way softer than any airgun barrel. The friction coefficient is much lower than lead. They are really slippery. Posted Image

Thanks for the feedback....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users