• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

After reading Butcher45's awsome coyote story, I got to thinking. There is a grand slam for big game hunting with a firearm and with a bow, why not have a grand slam for air rifle hunting?My thinking is two different air gun categories, Big bore and small bore. Small bore would be anything .25 caliber and smaller. Big bore would be anything larger than this. Here's some ideas for the small bore grand slam hit list:Cotton tail, Jack rabbit,Ground squirrelTurkeyRaccoonPossumSkunkCrowQuailDoveWoodchuck/ MarmotFor large bore, pretty much any of the California big game speices, coyotes and bobcats.It's just an idea. Thought it would give us airheads something to shoot for. :two-cents: Mc

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I have that grand slam. Most taken with my old Sheridan Silver Streak. But you can't shoot dove with anything but a shotgun, legally. :good:

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Well...I have these so far:Cotton tail...15Ground squirrel..over 100Crow...5

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Like John...My old Sheridan (Blue Streak) has taken some of them crittters:Cotton tails, red, gray and fox squirrels, crows, doves, and a single woodchuck. I sure wish NC had a air gun turkey season...That sounds like fun.

#5 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hey - what about pidgeon? lol!

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

As I can best recollect here what is on my list so farTurkey Cotton tail Ground squirrel Gray squirrel Mocking bird PigeonCrowSkunkRattlesnakeStarling

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

Hey Mackboy...Ya added a few to your list there :roflmao3[1]: Pigeons and starlings by the bushel...I had a mockingbird in Arkansas that was so tempting to shoot each morning at about 4AM...but rigged up some empty beer cans in the tree outside our bedroom window and attached some cord and tied that to the bed rail. I couldn't wait for him to show up that next morning and he was right on time. It was more fun than putting a 5mm into him :signlol2iu:

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

You're just a BIG meanie Mike. Scaring a poor little mocking bird. :roflmao3[1]: :signlol2iu:

#9 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

I've tossed around the "Grand Slam" idea. I need to work on getting more species legalized for bigbores up[ here in Oregon. Up here, I would definitely add nutria to the smallbore list.For bigbores, the fur-bearers would all make the list (though personally, I don't really want to shoot an otter). Badger, and feral hogs would be the tough ones for sure up here. Hard to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users