• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Based on all of the positive reviews of the Muellers here I wanted to try one and ordered this bad boy up for a 22. Anyone using one of these in particular?Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

I have one. I would give it a good rating. I have it on my Savage 22mag. My Bushnell Elite 3200's are much better, but you get what you pay for. ;)I think they are probably a best buy for using with a .22
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Eeek - I hope it is better than my Bushnell 3200 4-12 I had to have repaired.... (on a Remington 700 30-06) The recoil bothered it.... What do you like better about the 3200?

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

The scope arrived and so far It appears to be a good bang for the buck. My son and I did some limited bench rest side-by-side comparison of a few of our rifle/scopes combos at 8x (Swift 8-32, BSA 4-12, Tasco Varmint 6 - 24, Leupold Var III 6.5 -20, and a Bushnell 4 -12 3200) to try to get a clarity and brightness comparison on a test grid target in the basement at low light. We independently rated them with (with our naked eyes - lol) and came to nearly the same (only minor diffferences - my son put the Swift and Bushnell both ahead of the Leupold and he may be right) ratings. Later on I will have a buddy throw a light meter on it for real numbers. There are other factors that might explain a brightness difference including objective diameters, etc that make them all somewhat different. We found the Mueller ever so slightly less bright than the Swift, Bushnell, and Leupold but very close. Clarity was surprisingly close on the top four scopes across the entire lens diameter (unlike the Tasco and to a lessor degree the BSA which tend to fuzz out at the edges). Of course we did not take into account durability, customer service, keeping aimpoint, etc. so take this all with a grain of salt... The only issue I noticed so far with the Mueller scope is that the illuminated reticle needs a very high setting of the target background is bright to be seen (maybe 8-10 out of 11) but you really don't need to turn it on at all in broad daylight. The scope was $219 at MidwayUSA.As far as clarity and brightness we found this order. I put a space where it was easy to tell them apart and grouped the ones that are obviously close.TascoBSAMuellerSwiftBushnell Leupold

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

I think you'll be happy with it on your 22. I still have one on a 17 HMR that has served me well.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

This Mueller appears to be a competent scope so far. I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50mm on a Savage 17 HMR and it has been great.

I'm an airgunholic

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

I have the same scope on my Ruger MK11 .204 and I love it. Mostly use it for ground hogs. I rarely use the illuminated reticle, but it does work well towards the end of day when low light starts to cancel the contrast between the bean munchers and the ground.

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I was referring to the brightness/clarity. I just thought the Bushnell elite 3200 was brighter/clearer. Especially at the higher magnification.I'm happy with mine on my 22mag, though I doubt I would want it on a centerfire.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

I tried the illuminated reticle since I shoot off of my deck at dusk nearly every nice evening and it was really great at a power of 2 for picking off sparrows along my treeline. I think I am going to learn to like this scope.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

I looked at the Muellers too for my 10 22. Great reviews, but I was at Cabelas yesterday, returning a Barska Contour scope. I learned my lesson on that one. Anyways, I was checking out their scopes and ran across a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40AO Dusk/Dawn. Looks clear,good quality and only 99.00 on sale, so I grabbed it. Only time and bullets will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users