3 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

My big hunting trip is a week in Montana each year. It's a terrific time, it's a beautiful area with lots of game. It's also very cold in late November.I've been looking for a decent pair of hunting gloves for a while now. I basically don't like the flip-up mittens, so that was out. I initially tried jersey gloves, but the grip wasn't acceptable. After some hunting around, I also tried out a pair of Underarmor liner gloves, which had great grip but weren't any good against wind or rain and weren't especially warm. Other gloves were too bulky or uncomfortable.Posted ImageOrdered the Camelbak Cold Weather gloves off the web based on the strength of the description. It seems perfect -- neoprene and thinsulate with a little bit of mesh-like leather for grip and durability. The photo is a little misleading -- these gloves actually fit close with very little bulk.I took them to the range with me on Friday and was able to load and operate both my bolt-action Savage rifle and my Mossberg shotty without any problem. I could switch the safeties, work the bolt and the pump, work the release on the shotgun and (of course) squeeze the trigger. The gloves let more than enough feeling through to allow me to do this normally (I wasn't looking at my hands the whole time).Of course, it was 65 and sunny at the range. My hands got pretty warm, but being from Wisconsin I understand that doesn't necessarily mean they're good gloves.To test them out in the cold, I took them to the Giants preseason game that night. If you've never been to PacBell, let me tell you it's not warm -- the wind off the bay is cold and brutal, and we were sitting up a ways and not sheltered by the bulk of the stadium. The gloves worked well. They blocked the wind effectively, kept my hands from freezing and I didn't have to take them off to unwrap my hotdog or dig out the money for another beer (they're up to $65 for a Bud Lite at the ballpark now if memory serves). By the 7th or 8th inning my hands started to get chilly, but by that time I'd been sitting still for a couple of hours and was cold throughout.Anyhow, I think these are perfect, at least for what I needed. I've never seen them in stores, but they were easy to find on the web -- I paid $38 for mine, which is a little steep but seems worth it to me.

#2 xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Great Review! Just gave me an idea... I'll give the under gloves/pipe gloves from my snowboard gloves a try... They're the inner shell for the main glove. Think it will be good enough in california weather! :)

#3 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

I finally got to put these things to work in Minnesota during the deer opener two weekend ago.They worked out great. Three things I noticed:
  • They were very tough. We spent the day before the opener cleaning up the property a bit, and I didn't have work gloves. These stood in and stood up a day of solid abuse.
  • They're surprisingly warm, especially in the wind. I forgot to put them on one morning before we got moving in the quad, and my hands froze until I stopped and put these on.
  • They feel really thin. I was able to do a lot of normal tasks with them on -- I even unwrapped a Starburst with them on. The one place they lack dexterity is going into pockets (the rough surface of the glove grabs the pocket material), but for loading/shooting they're great.

#4 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Those would be great for riding the Harley this time of year. The ones I have now are either too bulky or not windproof. And a LOT cheaper. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users