• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

My cousin is looking at buying one. Does anyone have any experience with one?http://powersports.h...09/big-red.aspx

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

No personal experience. I have been doing a LOT of research lately and the Big Red missed the mark.The recommendations are:Best All Around as well as sport use -- Yamaha RhinoRanching/Work etc -- Polaris Ranger (too wide for a lot of trail riding as well as doesn't fit in the bed of a truck plus with the bench seat you slide around too much) Best new kid on the block -- Kawasaki Teryx (still needs a while to get the bugs out)Biggest Disappointment -- Honda Big RedHe should check out a bunch of the forums specializing in each vehicle, but most of the stuff I have read say's the Rhino is the best as well as the most reliable.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks I'll tell him. His main reason for even considering the Honda was Honda's reliability. But like anything it's best to look around.

Time waits for no one--

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Rhinos have too many recalls.. and being more narrow tend to flip easier.. I just didnt care for them at all when we were looking around. I will admit Im a polaris lover so Im probably biased but we really use ours rather hard and in alot of situations and its always done good for us. As for sliding around in the Polaris.. I havent had that problem.. I like the bench seat.. Easily fits three people, or two and alot of gear :) And it does have seat belts which I have had to use when coming down a steep hill, keeps you from falling onto the dash LOL... Yes its wider but flipping over has never been a problem. Where we go occasionally we have to squeeze through some brush and such but I havent found a place yet that it hasnt gone where I wanted it to. We do mostly back country mountains and it is really good for that. Plus can haul out several deer with no problems. even when loaded down with all our gear. Ive seen the Big Reds but havent checked into them much. If you go test drive one let us know how it feels
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Oops, I posted a big long reply regarding the Honda Big Red ATC's then I just realized SJ was referring to the new Honda Big Red UTV's... I hate when a manufacturer uses the same name on different models. :good:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

have him take a look at the suzuki samurai, I heard that those were the best hunting vehicles ever.... :signs1180lq:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

This will be more of a ranch vehicle but I've heard good things about the Samurai's. :badair0es: :signs1180lq:

Time waits for no one--

#8 grandslam

grandslam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

The big red looks cool.....thats gotta count for something.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

He bought one and he loves it. They use it constantly and no problems so far. It even loads in the pickup pretty easy. Just two bails of hay laid across behind the truck and drive up and in. Scary but it works. :)

Time waits for no one--

#10 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

My hunting buddy from Oregon has one and loves it.

#11 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

I have hunted out of a Polaris Ranger for the last two days. It's the first time hunting out of one of these SUV's or whatever you call them..Honestly I can tell you I am extremely disappointed. As far as the ride is concerned it handled great and covered the rocky terrain without a problem and didn't bounce you around. HOWEVER!!! 1. It was WAY LOUDER than I ever thought it would be. My Jeep is quieter than this thing. Maybe they all aren't like that but I was shocked. 2. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep anything clean in the bed of these things. The bed is literally a dirt and dust collector as you are driving and when you stop. Luckily the one we were in had a covered screen between the cab and the bed or I imagine we would have been covered in dust also. 3. Unless you are using the bed there really isn't any storage in the cab and no way to secure any items so that they don't bounce or fall.4. The engine on the Polaris seemed to be right under the seat and that made it hotter than hell. After about 10 minutes of riding with Shorts on the back of your legs heated up pretty bad.5. This one was also without a windshield. Because of that, if you went through any brush that touched the front of the buggy, you ended up covered in seeds because they just came right up over the hood and into the cab.Like I said the only positive I can find in the one I just used is the fact that it handled the terrain effortlessy and was a very smooth ride. I will however, no longer be thinking about buying one. No matter who the maker is. I can't see how any of them would differ that much, but maybe ya'll can share your thought on different models.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

ANY quad or UTV without a cab will throw seeds and such on you..Get the enclosed cab... As for securing things, add racks.. WE can haul 9 guns in the cab, all out of the way but obviously withen reach. WE added a tool box to the back.. We can haul just about everything you can imagine.. PLUS have room for ice chest, extra gas etc.. Deer goes right up on the box and straps down easy. IN the middle of the seat we carry our video camera and my fox pro. nice of them to include a seat belt for my things LOL.. There are vent holes behind the seat, block them off and no more dust can come in from underneath, as for heat coming off the engine, ya cant really help that much. WE dont use the middle of the seat for a person so we dont notice the heat ... Ours has a heater so in winter IM toasty warm even in just a Tshirt when its snowing and cold out.. The windhsield wipers are very nice to have too.. Ive heard people say they can be loud but I guess I lucked out cuz outside its much quieter than a quad, but inside the cab it is rather loud. but not so loud you can talk to each other. In low gear its much louder than in high gear, I love mine.. Wouldnt trade it for the world.. But as with any of our toys and vehicles you have to add what you need to make it work for what your doing. Adding gun racks and stuff like that will really make you appreciate it alot more.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:13 AM

I own a 2008 polaras ranger 6x6 everyone that has ever hunted with me loves it, its very quite, and all your other comments ITS A UTV not a BMW your hunting not going out to dinner its a atv that has a bed and seats 3 in the front , I mainly use mine for work and would not be without it, the mower, blade and dump bed make work around my place much easier there's places on my land that I would have to try and walk to hauling tools and fencing that i drive right up to. my atv,s were used a few times a year, the polaris is used every day, my wife loves it my dog loves it my hunting buddies love it and if it was gone for any reason it would be replaced ASAP.. Dave

#14 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like the closed cab is worth the $$ then. I have been considering one of these and am curious to know if anyone has seen or driven the battery opperated one. Not to go all Green or anything but if that thing has any range at all in it then there might be some nice benifits to haveing a battery opperated one while hunting. I know there is still going to be road noise from tires and suspension not to mention stuff bouncing around in the bed but it seems it might be a much more pleasant experiance not having all that motor noise.

#15 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

ROFLMAO okay the going to dinner comment made me laugh THAT was funny.. Also I should add I pack gas for my sons quad.. The ranger for whatever reason gets really good gas milage. Where we go we go WAY WAY back in.. I dont trust the battery ones simple because I just dont think you can get the range from a batery that you can from the gas.. course toss in a solar panel and you could recharge while you are parked I suppose.. I still dont see it having the power that a gas engine does..

#16 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

This will be more of a ranch vehicle but I've heard good things about the Samurai's. :rolleyes: :good:

Maybe the Samurai's should pack a Big Red as a Spare since they have so much room :good: :good:

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

:1106: :1106: ;)

Time waits for no one--

#18 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

ROFLMAO okay the going to dinner comment made me laugh THAT was funny.. Also I should add I pack gas for my sons quad.. The ranger for whatever reason gets really good gas milage. Where we go we go WAY WAY back in.. I dont trust the battery ones simple because I just dont think you can get the range from a batery that you can from the gas.. course toss in a solar panel and you could recharge while you are parked I suppose.. I still dont see it having the power that a gas engine does..

Electric motors are actually extremely torque...However....I dont like electric at all, I think its a waste, specially when you consider the price of replacing the batteries down the road. (Hybrids are such a joke, I used to work at Lexus, and when yo factor in disposal and cost of replacement batteries plus the additional MSRP you really arent doing anything for gas savings of money or the environment).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users