• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hey guys I ran out of lens cleaning solution for my scopes and camera's. It's hard to find lens cleaning solutions specifically made for High quality optics. Like expensive cameras, Rifle Scopes and Binoculars.What do you guys use to clean your scopes and binoes? Do you make your own solutions?Windex?Distilled water?Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol?Combination of all thee above?
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#2 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

I use this stuff called Kleer-VU. I got it at an outdoor show. It not only cleans well, it's anti-fog and anti-static. I've also used Cat dog poop (not literally of course) or Scope Dope.

#3 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

I use "ENDUST" for electronics it's oil free,wax free, and amonia free.It may be for LCD tv and computers .I also use it on my scopes and binoculars.NO residual film.It works great for me and a small 4.0z. bottle lasts for years.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

I use a Lens Cleaner I got at Sam's Club. Got two 8 oz bottles for like 7 or 8 bucks and it works great.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

What about home made solutions?

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Truthfully I use spit and the shirt I have on that day :lol:

#7 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

I hear skoal straight Long cut has some really good solvent like properties. While wintergreen and Mint long cut can be used as a passive adhesive. I wounder how Snus works out?

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

sorry I don't carry any fancy cleaner in my back pack. What I do carry is some bailing wire and duck tape it can fix anything.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,007 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

I use wipes like these from Sam's Club. http://www.samsclub....amp;item=144544They're cheap and I'm not wiping accumulated dirt back on my optics.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

I use wipes like these from Sam's Club. http://www.samsclub....amp;item=144544They're cheap and I'm not wiping accumulated dirt back on my optics.

Thanks john this is probably what I'm going to get.Wright now I have 2 kits. that are identical. 1 for my field optics (Scope Binos) and 1 for my electronics (camera, camcorder ect)The each have a Lens pen, 2 microfiber cloths, Lens paper, and cleaning solution.The Cleaning solution winch I ran out of looks like it's just Alcohol. I've though of making my own home made solution but If my optics have a special chemical coat on them I Don't want to strip them. SO I figured I would ask to see what every one else it using.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,007 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

Those solutions are alcohol based so that they remove finger prints from the optics. I just like the individual wipes because they are handy and are disposable. That way I don't get dirt being rubbed back onto the glass. Especially when I'm cleaning a $10,000 plus lens like this one.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

My home made formula for around the house is....80 percent water10 percent vinigar10 percent ammoniaA pro window washer gave that to me. It will cut anything for windows.

#13 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I use a the same stuff I use on my camera lenses -- microfiber cloth. If I've got a water mark or something, I'll use camera lens cleaner and lens paper from someplace reputable (usually Adorama brand -- I buy a lot of my camera gear from them).The think you have to watch out for isn't the glass on the lens, it's the coatings they put on to help reduce glare and improve optical quality. You get too harsh with the cleaner, you can strip it off or otherwise wreck it.

#14 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Ya thats what I'm afraid of pooching the coating. Most commercial lens cleaning solutions for cameras tend to be just alcohol and distilled water, I'm not sure what ratio. I have been playing with the idea of 20% alcohol 15% windex and 65% distilled water. its the windex that scares me the most ... will it strip the coating and will it leave residue?I'm probably just going to go with what John uses.

#15 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Better safe than sorry.

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

McNett "Op Drops". Used by the military. Won't harm coatings and is also an anti-foging agent. Be very careful what you use on your fine optics. Certain chemicals degrade or remove coatings with continued use.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users