23 replies to this topic

#1 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

Well, I've researched and looked around a lot and there are so many choices out there! It's literally driving me crazy trying to find a scope for my Tikka in .243.I've narrowed it down to three choices, kind of low, medium and high in price.Low: Nikon Pro-Staff, C&R price: $141http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=579365Medium: Burris FullField, C&R price $189http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=211984High: Leupold VX-II, C&R price $267http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=876892Any thoughts on these? I'm likely going to be spray painting the whole rifle and scope, not sure if I can bring myself to paint a 300 dollar leupold :smiley-funny-post-sign: Please help!

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Of those 3 choices, Leupold hands down... Did you happen to notice the nearly 1" full eye relief difference it has over the other two? That is a huge difference... especially if you have no neck. Eye relief or lack of, always grabs my attention immediately, yet is often over looked by many. A big mistake!Burris is nice. I also like Nikon, but necessarily that particular model. So Burris would come in 2nd for me. Also, there really isn't a big price difference between Burris & Leupold, so may not want that to sway you either. Especially over the long run / many yrs down the road it will amount to pennys (roughly). lolGood luck in your decisionFrank

#3 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

http://www.swfa.com/...riflescope.aspx

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Nikon would be the best quality for the buck.... Sure you just want a 3-9 on that great Tikka 243?

#5 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

I don't know about the model Nikon your asking about. I just put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 on my Tikka, and couldn't be happier!!!

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Go for the Nikon, I bought my first 2 years ago and that's all I buy now.

#7 Pruneemac

Pruneemac

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

why paint it?

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

Having owned several of the Leupold VXII 3-9X40's I would have to recommend it. Especially out of the group you presented. For most hunting, especially calling predators, you don't want a scope with higher magnification. When you have a running target you need as much eye relief and field of view as you can get. I'll be putting one on my new 220 Swift.

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

I own 3 of the 3x9 vx2 Leupolds, you really cant go wrong there. That being said, I recently put a Nikon 3x9 prostaff on my 17...no complaints. Nice scope for little moola.And remember if you are worried about spray painting a 300 dollar scope...it don't matter one iota to a coyote if it's sprayed or not. Those camo jobs are more for impressing hunters and guys on these sites.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

Yep, IMHO many "predator" hunters over magnify on their scopes for the very reasons Moe stated. AND along with that, for the very up close & personal shots that you will get... eventually! In other words I do not want anything higher than 3x on the low end of my predator scopes, and less would be even better. You not only want to "find" the dog, but to also actually see what "part" you are looking at. hmmmmm, especially if it's a cougar (or bear or boar) nearly in your lap; which happened to me. True story!Anyway, just some (more) thoughtsFrankp.s. I have a Leupold 4.5 X 14 on my very nice 223; It stays in the gun safe most of the time :pirashoot:

#11 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

Look at a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40, I think the optics are supposed to be a little better than the prostaff and maybe get a BDC recticle. i think the buckmasters have a touch better light transmissoin than the prostaff if your hunting in low light, but dont quote me on that....I have a Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on my 243 and love it....

#12 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

I recently put a Nikon 3x9 prostaff on my 17...no complaints. Nice scope for little moola.And remember if you are worried about spray painting a 300 dollar scope...it don't matter one iota to a coyote if it's sprayed or not. Those camo jobs are more for impressing hunters and guys on these sites.

LOL......."PROSTAFF"............ Taken up in the frenzy??????? :popcorn: Sorry....The devil made me do it.I couldn't agree more about the painting thing. I'm wondering what those paint jobs are going to look like after carrying the rifle for a few years. I really don't think a coyote cares if he's shot with a painted rifle not and I sure can't see putting some cheap paint on a good gun. :pirashoot: :)

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

I'm gonna suggest another scope. ;)Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200. Grafs Dealer site has this one BUSHNELL 3-9x40mm E-3200 RAINGUARD MATTE MULTI-X for $151. Pretty good deal on a really nice scope.Also, I'm gonna chime in on the camo thing.I'm obviously new at all of this and I don't claim to be anywhere near the hunter most of you guys are.My take on the camo thing isn't necessarily about color or pattern. I think it's more about reflection. If you have a camo'd rifle vs a black or wood stock (even with matte finish) you are gonna get more reflection out of the non-camo'd one. Even a matte black synthetic stock is more reflective than flat camo. I try to be as still as possible when in a stand, but I'm not always perfectly still. If my movements can be diminished by having a camo'd rifle, it's worth it to me.I have camo'd ALL of my hunting rifles and shotgun. It was painful to paint a $1200 shotgun, but I got it to hunt with not look at. Plus the camo actually works as a protective layer for the firearm. I don't have to worry about exterior rust or scratches from walking through some of the thick stuff.

#14 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm gonna suggest another scope. ;)Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200. Grafs Dealer site has this one BUSHNELL 3-9x40mm E-3200 RAINGUARD MATTE MULTI-X for $151. Pretty good deal on a really nice scope.Also, I'm gonna chime in on the camo thing.I'm obviously new at all of this and I don't claim to be anywhere near the hunter most of you guys are.My take on the camo thing isn't necessarily about color or pattern. I think it's more about reflection. If you have a camo'd rifle vs a black or wood stock (even with matte finish) you are gonna get more reflection out of the non-camo'd one. Even a matte black synthetic stock is more reflective than flat camo. I try to be as still as possible when in a stand, but I'm not always perfectly still. If my movements can be diminished by having a camo'd rifle, it's worth it to me.I have camo'd ALL of my hunting rifles and shotgun. It was painful to paint a $1200 shotgun, but I got it to hunt with not look at. Plus the camo actually works as a protective layer for the firearm. I don't have to worry about exterior rust or scratches from walking through some of the thick stuff.

I think the more you do this the more you'll start figuring things out. I'll admit, camoing your gun don't hurt a thing (except resale in some cases) but for sure is not necessary. I never have and would never consider painting one of my guns...I've been doing this long enough to realize if carrying around a non painted gun was costing me critters on the stand...it don't. My guns are well taken care of and I don't throw them around, I really dont buy all that stuff about it protecting the finish from rust/scratch's but if that makes someone feel better about painting it ...have at it. When I first started calling I did a lot of the things most guys do (full camo, cover scent etc.) then one day didn't wear all the camo...or left the cover scent in the truck...and found out I still called in just as many. There were other things that were much more important then that stuff. These were the days way before the internet or even monthly magazines so info was kinda scarce. With all the info available now I can see how new guys can get lead astray so easily...I guess recognizing good info requires a bit of background in the subject.

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I have no doubt in what you say as the truth. You have been doing this longer than me. I believe you when you say your numbers didn't go down when you stopped using camo. That's kind of a tough thing to measure though. I wasn't particularly saying the camo is gonna raise my percentages by any real measurable amount. But, the lack of reflection could/may help if even in the slightest.I also know some folks that have been hunting/calling for MANY years and they too are using camo (clothing and firearm). I'm not saying they are right and you are wrong. Just that it's not just us newbies using camo.

#16 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I never said I quit using camo entirely, just never would camo a gun is all. I own all kinds of camo jackets/shirts etc. I've accumulated quite a few through the years. I still wear a facemask quite a bit but mainly when I'm using one of them there old fashion handcalls...although I do like seeing guys wear full camo and camo guns then place their e-caller 75 yards away... ;) B).There is a huge market now for predator hunting and just about everything comes with some kind of pattern. It's funny, camo is supposed to blend in and not be seen, yet it seems to work as an attractant for hunters.

#17 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

I do like seeing guys wear full camo and camo guns then place their e-caller 75 yards away... B) ;).

Hey! I resent that remark. ANd it's only 40 yards away. B)

#18 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hey guys, it's cool. Good luck on your scope purchase Russ and don't forget to check out those Bushnell 3200's. ;)

#19 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Well, I think the eye relief has me sold on the Leupold. Besides, as I get older I am slowly learning to buy what I really want first and not take substitutes, even if it means waiting a while. Now I have to try and pry the 267 dollars away from the wife from our tax return. Any advice on that!? :)Thanks to everyone for their help and input!

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Grab it before Obama grabs it all back.....

#21 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Now I have to try and pry the 267 dollars away from the wife from our tax return. Any advice on that!? ;)

Tell her it will get you out of the house and keep you out of trouble.

#22 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

Tax Returns?? What tax return? I thought Arnold kept them all? ;) Anyway, good luck on your scope purchase. Oh, may wanta check out Bear Basin Outfitters (on the net) in Sacramento on their scope prices. Used to be purchases over $250 had free shipping. They use to have pretty good prices, but not sure today. Frank

#23 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

i hear you brother about the scopes for the 243 tikka..i walked into the local gun shop and spied a blue tikka in 243 saying take me home...take me home...it was a tossup between a 700 with a old school redfield scope on it...but the tikka said take me home...she was wounded...had a scratch on her barrel...but she felt so good..so i pick her up on the tenth of april...ssssssssssoooooooooo i am in search of a werthy scope for tikka....good luck glenn p.s. dont tell leftfoot...cause he will be sssoooo jelous...glenn

#24 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

Anyway, good luck on your scope purchase. Oh, may wanta check out Bear Basin Outfitters (on the net) in Sacramento on their scope prices. Used to be purchases over $250 had free shipping. They use to have pretty good prices, but not sure today. Frank

I bought my Burris Full Field ll, rings & bases from Bear Basin.No free shipping, but they did have it to me the next day :good: Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users