13 replies to this topic

#1 Brokehunter530

Brokehunter530

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

What do you guys prefer for a hunting sidearm? I'm about to pick up a new Ruger GP-100 and really like the looks of the SS model but worry about the brightness of it clashing with my camo. What say you guys?

#2 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

Buy the stainless and get a full hoslter. You won't regret it . Not having to break down, clean and oil after every trip, rain etc. And unlike a blued handgun it won't rust inside your holster if the hoslter gets damp and you think it has dried out.

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

I don't blame you. I HATE when my guns clash with my outfit.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

If I remember correctly, the GP-100 in blued is VERY hard to come by anyway.

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Do you guys always wear a sidearm when calling or just in certain areas (like say Cleveland Nat'l Forest vs Mohave Desert)???

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

It depends on what part of town I'm calling in. :signs1180lq:

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

What about Parkerized?

#8 Brokehunter530

Brokehunter530

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

What about Parkerized?

Ruger doesnt offer a parkerized model. I imagine it would cost alot to get it done from a custom shop. Was just wondering if anyone ever had any problems with light reflecting off a SS sidearm alerting game? I really like the idea of not having worry about rust like I do with my blued guns.And by the way, I carry a sidearm at all times when allowed (non shotgun only areas, and not when turkey hunting). My brother-in-law and I almost got shot by a tweaker once, so I like to error on the side of caution. Plus its nice to have a backup when bear or pig hunting, just in case.

#9 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

If you like the SS then get the SS. Most of the gun is hidden by the holster anyway. There is a "Target Grey" version of the GP as well. If being too bright is an issue, then have the Ruger bead-blasted. Best of both worlds, SS and non-glare.

#10 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

If I remember correctly, the GP-100 in blued is VERY hard to come by anyway.

I have one that I'm thinking about selling.

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

What do you guys prefer for a hunting sidearm? I'm about to pick up a new Ruger GP-100 and really like the looks of the SS model but worry about the brightness of it clashing with my camo. What say you guys?

'Camo Clash' is definitely a wilderness area fashion faux pas among the fashion elite. Great Aunt Ethyl's step sister Elizabeth, a grizzly wrestler of some renown as well as a fashion leader in the back country around Glacier National Park, recommends that you grab a double handful of Krylon's best camo colors and paint that rugged Rooger to match your camo outfit. A little masking tape in sensitive areas would be appropriate. Ruger obviously has no fashion sense and so this will invalidate your warranty & may hamper the operation of that purty camo'd wheel gun. That hampered operation is how Elizabeth got her reputation as a Grizzly wrestler. :drinks:

#12 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Although stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion than blued steel, it will rust if treated badly enough. I once saw the hammer of a model 66 rusted down on a motor officer's revolver. Ah, salt air!!! In the desert you could leave one out in the elements without doing it much harm. There are finishes on the market now that will protect blued steel almost as well.When I was in the USMC and stationed at 29 Palms, we used to take our M14s (yes, it was that long ago) in the shower with us to get the dust and dirt out of them in the summer months. I bet Soreloser could tell you if that's still SOP at the Stumps.Truckeedan

#13 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I have one that I'm thinking about selling.

Well, in that case...they are a dime a dozen, how much do you want to give me to take it off your hands...

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

'Camo Clash' is definitely a wilderness area fashion faux pas among the fashion elite......

:653: In my circle of hunting buddys a guy would get laughed out of camp if he showed up in head to toe full matching camo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users