42 replies to this topic

#1 ff.hogue

ff.hogue

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I just wanted to see how many other hunters in CA have found the best thing that ever happened to the hunting rig scene? the SUZUKI SAMURAI! I know all of the jeep buffs out there think they are puny, little excuses for their wranglers, but i have had samurais that go where no jeep has ever imagined! I will try to post some pics of my past projects and hunting rigs once i can get them scanned and uploaded, but what is it that you are driving?

#2 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Ive always heard good things about them mostly from serious four wheelers. But there not exactly easy to find one thats not a wreck or just worn out.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Didn't the government outlaw them due to roll over hazard?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

:signgreatreport3kg: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: you couldn't give me one of those pices of Junk..

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

:signgreatreport3kg:

I just wanted to see how many other hunters in CA have found the best thing that ever happened to the hunting rig scene? the SUZUKI SAMURAI! I know all of the jeep buffs out there think they are puny, little excuses for their wranglers, but i have had samurais that go where no jeep has ever imagined! I will try to post some pics of my past projects and hunting rigs once i can get them scanned and uploaded, but what is it that you are driving?

Attached Files

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I found it. I thought they had a problem. Safety Research Report Index - Suzuki Samurai RolloverA. BACKGROUND1. Suzuki Samurai owner's manual rollover warnings, 19882. "Debate Brews Over Utility Vehicle," Detroit News, 4/25/883. "Consumer Group Asks Recall of Suzuki Samurai as Unsafe," New York Times, 6/3/884. "Suzuki Urged to Recall Samurai Vehicles as Consumer Group Calls Them Unsafe," Wall Street Journal, 6/3/885. "Samurai Owners File Suit Against Suzuki for Refunds," Wall Street Journal, 6/7/886. "Suzuki Defending Samurai Against Safety Complaints," New York Times, 6/9/887. "Suzuki Charges Bias in Consumer Reports Testing," Suzuki Press Release, 6/9/888. "Test Change Draws Fire from Suzuki," New York Times, 6/10/889. "If It Has Wheels and Carries People, Shouldn't It Be Safe?" J. Treece, Business Week, 6/20/8810. "U.S. Won't Recall Samurai," New York Times, 9/2/8811. "U.S. Turns Down Petition to Investigate and Order Recall of Suzuki's Samurai," Wall Street Journal, 9/2/8812. "Suzuki, Ending its Dependence on Samurai, Plans Two New Vehicles," Wall Street Journal, 9/22/8813. "Suzuki Will Add Warnings to Samurai Adds in 7 States," New York Times, 3/24/8914. "Suzuki Lawyers Join Samurai In Hot Seat," The Atlanta Journal/The Atlanta Constitution, 4/16/9315. "Appeals Court Lashes Suzuki Attorneys," Automotive News, 5/24/9316. "Suzuki Fights $90 Million Samurai Ruling," Automotive News, 7/17/95B. LAWSUITS1. Attorneys handling lawsuits against Suzuki2. Lawsuits filed against Suzuki, with jurisdiction & docket number, June 19883. Class Action Complaint, Barrack, Rodos & Bacine, 6/14/884. Agreement of Voluntary Compliance, Attorneys General from CA, MA, MN, MO, NY, TX & WA, November 19885. Discovery Sanctions Decision in Malautea v. Suzuki, CV490-322 (S.D. GA., Dec 30, 1991)

Time waits for no one--

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

i have had samurais that go where no jeep has ever imagined!

Like down to the bottom of a deep ravine after rolling over on the trail above? lolJust kidding! You guys are brutal!
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I bought a Suzuki Sidekick recently.. I couldnt be happier, it has a different suspesion system than the Samurai, I put larger tires on it, gonna keep the same suspension, but it really is a neat vehicle. 25-30 MPG depending upon uphill or downhill. In low range it can go like a tank. You can fit into places that will leave Fenders from a CJ5 sitting next to a tree where they were scraped off. No, its not a Hummer or a Land Rover, but it will get into places they cant. Its a great little rig.. I looked for a Sammi for a while, but they are underpowered and its hard to find a clean one. I Like my new Coyote rig!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

BTW I bet it will go anywhere a CJ or a Wrangler can go, and also places they wont ! :roflmao3[1]: :signgreatreport3kg:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

I have thought about a samy for a while but figured that I would want to hunt with a partner and they just don't have enough room. :signgreatreport3kg:

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

They got plenty of room.. 2 seats, and a place for Guns ! hehe

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

I've got 3 kids that want to go off road with me and I hunt with my dad and brother more than 1/2 the time. I do agree that when properly equiped they will go anywhere a jeep will go and fit into tighter spots.

#13 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

This will make you Samurai lovers cringe... My son had 4 or 5 of them things and he used a few to build a real neat one.. Which left a couple for building another.. People CONSTANTLY stop in and ask if any are for sale.. Always the same ole answer.. You have to ask my son... He always said no.. No matter how much they would offer... UNTIL--- one day a guy could get him to sell so offered up a sand rail... took about a week before my son called him up and said he might like to see the sand rail... then took him another 2 weeks or so to decide to trade.. It was hard for him.. I thought he was gonna back out when it was loaded on the trailer.. Son ended up trading him the one hed built and 2 of the other pieced out ones... for a sand rail..Least with the sand rail I dont have to worry so much abut him rolling it.. Course NOW since son has one... GUess who has to get a bigger badder one?? Yep you guessed it.. My husband... he drug home a frame yesterday and is picking up another this weekend... So now we will have 3 sand rails LOL....
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#14 ff.hogue

ff.hogue

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I found it. I thought they had a problem. Safety Research Report Index - Suzuki Samurai RolloverA. BACKGROUND1. Suzuki Samurai owner's manual rollover warnings, 1988etcetc5. Discovery Sanctions Decision in Malautea v. Suzuki, CV490-322 (S.D. GA., Dec 30, 1991)

Of course, you get every day joe blows who drive the hell out of them, take corners at 50 in a small wheel base 4x4, and its going to roll. Im talking about a offroad hunting machine, not what they were origionally designed or used for when these were "black listed" Its just like guns, you give them out to ANYONE and you are going to have a LOT of problems, you give them to someone who is going to use them properly and within their limits and nothing bad can come of it.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

I agree! I was driving a jeep in the 60's and not just on pavement. If you know what you're doing you can certainly do anything. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#16 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

but what is it that you are driving?

Full size '92 Ford Bronco. I know there are vehicles that will go where I'm not gonna take my Bronco. One of the 4X4 sayings is 'A four wheel drive is made to take you where you can REALLY get stuck.'. ;) I get out as far as I want to go and so far I've always driven back without a tow. Since I've helped friends out of spots that appeared innocent and turned into bottomless pits, I'm not saying it'll never happen to me. I'm just not going to throw a challenge out to the outback devils. :signlol2iu:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#17 microtus

microtus

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

I wheeled with a little Sami on 31's and a rear locker at the Rubicon a few years ago. It worked ok but was like a pinball going though the rocks due to lack of gearing. Throw some Toyota axles underneath, 33's and a upgraded transfer case and go have fun with it.I drive a TJ, and with 2 people, wish I had a little bit more room. My Jeep
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#18 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Barbie called and she wants her Jeep back. :signs1180lq: Buy a Toyota!

#19 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

A couple of my friends bought them. We race motorcycles, and they are actually smaller than the Rhino/Rzrs and a whole lot cheaper. They load them up into their toy trailers and we bring them to the races. Jump them, beat the sh$t out of them and then take them to buy beer after the races since they are street legal and the toy trailers are normally socked in the back of the pits. I think they would be cool little hunting rigs, if you had a long bed truck you could prolly drive it with a good set of ramps into the back of your truck and drive it out to your hunting spot, unload and go...

#20 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Barbie called and she wants her Jeep back. :roflmao3[1]: Buy a Toyota!

Thats what Im talking about!!!TOYOTA LANDCRUISER BABY....the flagship of toyota's...factory locked front and rear = go anywhere :harhar1[1]: Posted Image

#21 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

i dont care what anyone says about the samuri. i bought one just for hunting and its great. not only can i go where 4 wheelers go i get good gas milage and it has been very reliable so far and i have had it for several years.next is the roll overs. i dont know about that cause in feb. at the Adin coyote drive i had a near rollover experience with my samuri, but it didnt rollover. :yahoo: i was driving down a half snow half mud road and as i was rounding a turn i hit a sink hole near the shoulder the samuri went nutz lost control of it and wound up on the 2 driverside wheels off the road and in a ditch. :harhar1[1]: Samuri didnt rollover. i understand that most of the rollovers were caused by lifting the sammy's too high with big tires with too short of a wheel base, but i dont have confirmation on that. but the fact of the matter is when it should have rolled it didnt. i just calmed myself down and put it in 4 wheel drive and drove back up on the road and no damage to me or the samuri.that is just my experience with mine, it does'nt mean there have not been alot of rollovers. :roflmao3[1]:
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

It's all in how you drive. If you drive like HELL most likely you'll get there. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#23 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Wheres all the pics of those so called bad boys. My jeep is ten times better.
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#24 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Thats what Im talking about!!!TOYOTA LANDCRUISER BABY....the flagship of toyota's...factory locked front and rear = go anywhere :harhar1[1]: Posted Image

Go anywhere all right. Anywhere you won't scratch the paint on that pretty little thing. :smiley_green_with_envy: :harhar1[1]:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#25 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Wheres all the pics of those so called bad boys. My jeep is ten times better.

I agree the Samurai is a great hunting vehicle!!!

#26 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

The best rig I've had was a beat up '78 ford 3/4 ton with a 351M, manual 4 speed granny, and 4;11 gears. My deer hunting buddys called it "The Tractor". Damn thing was a brute. It did it's best work just above idle speed and I didn't mind putting fresh dents in it. It had great ground clearance for a big rig and everything important was tucked up nice and tight under the truck so I could belly slide it over obstacles with no worries. I did take it up a jeep trail in the Herring creek area that shut down a (loud mouthed) buddys lifted toyota :) but I didn't have the tailgate on my truck at the time and I busted up a whole ice chest full of beer during the steepest part of a greasy climb. :smiley_kewlpics:Posted ImageCrappy pic. Somewhere I have a pic that shows the big black winch/push bumper with a scull and crossbones on it.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#27 indyjrt

indyjrt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

http://www.dgrhinos.comI went to highschool with this guy......

#28 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

:smiley_kewlpics: I got a picture of two of them Seriosly though I had the gut wrenching priveladge of watching my friend roll one into the river.

#29 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

Best hunting rig I ever owned was a 1984 Toyota extended cab shortbed 4x4 pickup, 22R 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual tranny, 3" suspension lift, 32" BFG Mud Terrains. That thing was a mountain goat. Previous owner had installed some kind of locker in the rear so most of the time all I needed to do was shift into 4 low for the gearing, locking in the hubs wasn't necessary. The extended cab was nice for keeping guns, snacks, tool kit, first aid kit, blankets, etc. out of the weather and the bed was big enough for my ice chest & chainsaw, with room to spare for a deer. 4 cylinder was super reliable (bought it with 215000 miles, my cousin ended up with it at 240000 miles, and it's still running!) and quiet too. Can't tell you how many times I'd come around a corner and catch deer standing in the road, almost took a few out that way. Only thing it didn't have was a winch and at the time I couldn't afford one. Just carried a long tow strap, chains, and a heavy duty chain drive come-along instead. That was the second Toyota pickup I owned. First one was my very first vehicle, an '86 standard cab shortbed with 160000+ miles on it. (Clampdaddy should remember that one!) Both with the 22R engine & 5 speeds. They just kept running & running...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

That was the second Toyota pickup I owned. First one was my very first vehicle, an '86 standard cab shortbed with 160000+ miles on it. (Clampdaddy should remember that one!)

Yep, probably the prettiest yota around. I loved that super bright red paint job.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users