29 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

How about it guys, Who's getting pumped up for the shark fishing? Long tails should be wide open within the next month or so, a great way to get through the denning season..

#2 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

How about it guys, Who's getting pumped up for the shark fishing? Long tails should be wide open within the next month or so, a great way to get through the denning season..

Count me in. I take one every two years or so...on our last trip we had 5 knockdowns, 5 hookups and five landings, 4 released. This one was not so lucky...delicious but not lucky.Posted Image

#3 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

One day I'd love to, I kow member 5150Marcelo here has caught makos and such before.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

Here's a couple, We usually keep 2 to 4 a year depending on who goes with us. one is and the other is , not to picky on the size because they all taste the same...My son is 5 in this shot and is on our boat every trip, Gotta love it!!!Attached File  1.jpg   26.64KB   23 downloads

#5 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Yep just about that time :) Already re-rigged all my Bait-o's And topshots!!!!! The 50W 2 speeds are ready to rock!!! I'll keep my one for the year, and then I'll be looking for my one mako!!!The blood on the side of my boat in my avatar is from Mr.T!!!!!

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Yes sur, I would like to say that I only keep one a year but by the time we divvy it up between the crew we need a couple to keep the freezer happy for the rest of the year and If it drowns I have no choice but to keep it. As for the makos I'm really good at getting the 60-90# fish and that is just to small for me to keep, I'm willing to keep 150+ but just haven't hooked one yet.

#7 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

I keep one for me and my family( i usually get mine the wens,thurs before mothersday weekend)!!! I will round up my normal crew of 3 and let them split one if they are still around on the weekend!!! As for the mako's where , and how ya fishing them? I might be able to help ya setup on some bigger Makos!! Biggest I've hooked was around 400, got it to the boat didn't land it.... Within 20 miles of the point!!!

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

Dang.. My luck it woould flop into the boat and bite me...SO tell me.. what exactly does shark taste like? Is it like really fishy or more mellow?

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

SO tell me.. what exactly does shark taste like? Is it like really fishy or more mellow?[/quote]Of the shark I have eaten, it tastes like more like meat not fishy at all.

#10 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Only Shark I've had was Shark Fin Soup in Hong Kong...was "ok"

#11 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hey Ron,Do you have a boat? Might have to join you sometime got lots of freezer space.Scott

#12 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Dang.. My luck it woould flop into the boat and bite me...SO tell me.. what exactly does shark taste like? Is it like really fishy or more mellow?

IMO shark is the best eatting stuff there is!!! It tastes like what ever you marenate it in, and comes out BOMB on the smoker!!!! I fish for everything that swims and always have fish in the freezer, if the wife tells me to bring fish in....its always shark!!!!

#13 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hey Ron,Do you have a boat? Might have to join you sometime got lots of freezer space.Scott

Wheres about in So Cal? I can always find room for someone that wants to fish :)

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Shark is definately my go to fish for the table, I love the dorado and yellow tail but shark is more like a cross between chicken and steak. CH, if I'm ever up your way or you down here I'll set you up with some thresher steaks.

#15 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

If taking time off mid week is ok than plan on the first week of May and you can have a monster on the end of the line :rofl2: keep in touch the time is very near :)

#16 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Only shark I ever caught was little ones when we were in the gulf.Lowered the stern gate on the ship and dropped a line in seems like thats all we could catch.

#17 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:hunting big game, predators, birds and varmints. fishing.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I only have small sharks under my belt. I'm looking to bag a good one. nice pics!

#18 ali-baba

ali-baba

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Haven't done any ocean fishing myself since moving north, sold my boat. If you get a chance you should go, lots of these guys out there. Make sure you have a lot of freezer space.Attached File  1.jpg   26.11KB   19 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   19.64KB   20 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   24.27KB   19 downloads

#19 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

ali-baba, Tose are some nice looking longtails, It's getting to be about that time..... :)

#20 fishermantink

fishermantink

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, anything in the great outdoors!

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

My buddy and I fish all the time, but the year before last we thought we would give T shark fishing a try. Neither one of us had ever done it before, but we figured how hard can it be, everyone was catching them. Well, we got to the boat launch about 0700 on a Saturday morning ready to head out when I realized we left the bait at home. With not enough time to go home to get the bait we set out to make some mackerel. We didn't have any light tackle, but we knew we needed to catch at least one mackerel. We stopped by the bait barge and picked up a 1/2 scoop of anchovies and headed for the Scripps pier area. There were about 15 boats all around us and nobody was having luck catching bait. My buddy actually found a sabiki rig at the bottom of his bag, so we tied that to one of our rigs, chummed the water with cut bait and before we knew it, we are on. My entire boat is swarming with mackerel, heck we were catching three at a time and having so much fun we forgot we there to actually catch some sharks. After about 25 mackerel in the live well, we figured it was time to quit playing and start heading out. We headed for the La Jolla canyon, where all the reports had the sharks getting caught. After about 4 miles we decided to wet our lines as we continued our course for the canyon. No joke, within 15 minutes we get a strike, but no hook-up, five seconds later, my 50 wide was screaming. I throttled the boat to set the hook, then backed down as line kept peeling off at an extremely fast rate. I was running 100lb mono backed by 150lb spectra, with my reel set at about 30lbs of drag at strike. I had to actually loosen the drag to get the rod out of the holder because the shark was stripping so much line, so fast, with that much drag, I couldn't get the rod out of the holder. Once I got the rod out, I pushed the drag back up (not a smart move), when she slammed me to the deck and dragged me to the transom. Needless to say, I loosened the drag enough to get control of my gear before I went surfing. About an hour later we got the beast to the boat and then realized that our gear was not big enough to secure her. My buddy radioed for assistance and got another boater to come close enough to lend us a much needed bigger gaff. We were able to get the shark tied up, but could not haul her into the boat, she was too heavy for my buddy and I to get her in the boat. We did the next best thing and secured her to the side of the boat and towed her into port. Got her to the scales and she weighed 343lbs and was 12 foot long (head to tail). We were back home cutting shark steaks by noon. That was the first T-shark I had ever caught and considering how the day started, it had to be beginners luck. I have been out a few times since then, but haven't had any luck. I will continue to try, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I am pretty sure that that will be the biggest one I will ever catch. For those of you that watch versus, there is a show called, "quest for the one," well, that was "my one." :P Attached File  1.jpg   23.88KB   18 downloads Attached File  2.jpg   23.56KB   17 downloads

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:41 AM

Great pics guys !

#22 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

The key to quality mako fishing is location-location-location. Reading the SSTs and not putting a hooked bait in the water until you see the one you want. Power chumming for 2-5 miles before stopping is smart too.

#23 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

I've got the method down just haven't found where the big ones hang out, only the 100-125 class fish most being 60-80 witch I release.

#24 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Fishermantic,A flying gaff would be money well spent if you are planning on doing more shark fishing. For the T's they are usually almost dead when you get them to the boat so you can carefully put a tail rope on them and drown them.

#25 terrace

terrace

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:hunt fish travel

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

I found this one a few years ago approx 10' long Attached File  1.jpg   19.75KB   18 downloadsthe hatches are 4'wide

#26 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about sea lions or "fur bags" as we call them in the delta. Those things are the coyotes of the water! I really wish there was a hunting season for them.

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Neat thread . I never seen a shark with such a long tail.What does T stand for is that a name of the shark.

#28 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

It's stands for Thresher and the stun their prey with the tail so you usually tail hook them for an interesting fight.

#29 Pokey

Pokey

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, hunting, fishing & camping

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

I'd love to get out, but sold my boat a couple years ago :D

#30 LongRange

LongRange

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Target shooting, Traveling, Camping, Reading, Fitness, Martial Arts, Cooking, Movies, Enjoying times with family and friends.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

That is a great experience and memory. Nice pics as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users