#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

Been dinging squirrels at two horse ranches...things have really slowed down.....told owners I'll spot check as weather warms up so in the meantime I'll line up some other properties...Got this one this morning at one ranch...50 yards...this squirrel was coming down a hill from his neighbors property....Posted Image

#2 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

What you've been doing is the trick, if you really want to reduce their numbers on a given piece of property. Get out and clobber them early in the season, before they can produce the years young. The thing about the darned things is, it doesn't take very long for more to immigrate in from the surrounding area and take up the slack. It's a fine line between doing a good job on reducing their numbers, and doing such a good job you clean them all out. <_<Airgun Varmint Hunting Blog: http://varmintair.ty...rmintairs_blog/

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Geez Rich...Save some for the rest of us. :lol: I'm curious are you saving up the pelts? You've killed enough of those little buggers now that you could have fashioned a coat out of them. That is if you don't mind the Fleas. :lol:

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

What you've been doing is the trick, if you really want to reduce their numbers on a given piece of property. Get out and clobber them early in the season, before they can produce the years young. The thing about the darned things is, it doesn't take very long for more to immigrate in from the surrounding area and take up the slack. It's a fine line between doing a good job on reducing their numbers, and doing such a good job you clean them all out. :lol:

Your correct on both accounts...and I have not seen any young squirrels yet...I told both owners to expect squirrels from adjacent properties...in fact,it is happening at one already....I think young ones leave burrows after about 5-6 weeks from birth..next few weeks should confirm how effective taking the mature squirrels out over winter has been....This is interesting...Posted ImageI learned real quick about the "estivation" period....soon as temps reached 85-90 F, they would retreat to their burrows to control dehydration...So I would hunt them from 8 AM til around 11 am...

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Geez Rich...Save some for the rest of us. :lol: I'm curious are you saving up the pelts? You've killed enough of those little buggers now that you could have fashioned a coat out of them. That is if you don't mind the Fleas. :lol:

To funny....I really did not keep accurate count at the first ranch...but estimate near 80-90 or so...at second ranch,numbers stand at 44 as of yesterday...then add the ones I got in Cleveland Nat'l Forrest since last July or so....a bunch...lol....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users