Photo

Anyone use hearing protection when they hunt?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

Just curious -- my grandpa's been half deaf most of my life and now my dad is starting to lose his hearing, so I'm paranoid about the possibility of walking down that same road later in life.If anyone does use hearing protection, I'd be interested in specifically what you use -- I assume it'd have to be something you could put on and take off quickly without having to fumble around.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Here's a similar post with some answers.http://www.californi...d...st&p=100567

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

WHAT???

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

I use electronic muffs when varmint shooting and at the range. For regular big and medium game hunting I don't.

#5 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

when hunting with my pistol I wear inserts that allow normal sound but shut off loud noise, cheap , under 10 bucks, you are a lot smarter than I was

#6 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

For me it depends on what I take in the field...if I've got my .270 or .308 ya I use ear protection, little foam ones that insert in my ear, if im out with my .22 or .223 its a negative, I can crack off many rounds without feeling any pain....for now that is :roflmao3[1]:

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I use electronic muffs when varmint shooting and at the range. For regular big and medium game hunting I don't.

Ditto

#8 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

For me it depends on what I take in the field...if I've got my .270 or .308 ya I use ear protection, little foam ones that insert in my ear, if im out with my .22 or .223 its a negative, I can crack off many rounds without feeling any pain....for now that is :signgreatreport3kg:

Pain just means that you are too late.Noise induced hearing loss is cumulative. Don't mess around - use protection early and often.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Have moderate to severe hearing loss. Now I wear electronic muffs that allow me to hear better and protect what hearing I have left.At a recent meeting the wife intoduced herself to a group of hearing aid dispensers as one who has experience living with the hearing impaired. That experience would be her father, a WWII vet, who lost all hearing in one ear, and myself suffering from firecrackers, shooting, motorcycles and navy service.You can wear hearing protection now or hearing aids later. ;) Your choice now, later there may not be much of a choice.

#10 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

As a guy that has contant ringing in my ears caused by working in a steel shop when young, shooting, loud music, and racing cars I'll say this. USE HEARING PROTECTION WHILE SHOOTING (even a 22) or doing anything which exposes your ears to loud sounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users