11 replies to this topic

#1 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

For whatever reason...when I think of amazing or impossible shots, I think about shots made by my buddies or myself years ago with air rifles or BB guns....Them were the good old days :signs165xk: The modern air guns of today make common shots that were near impossible yesteryear. I love to reminesce about my early years, and since much of it revolved around shooting...I think you all can relate. Let's hear about some cool shots we made whether it be 50 years ago or yesterday...they are all fun to remember and talk about. I'll start it out....Let's go back in time to the late 1950's....When I was a kid...me and my buddy's Joe and his brother Bob single handedly put many feathered friends on the close to extinction list...at least in our own backyards we did There was always suet piles in the winter to attract the spotsies and starlings and we had plenty of shooting fun all year round. All these targets we had over the years carry some fun memories. We and I am sure all of you guys have made or witnessed shots of all kinds...easy, mediocre, difficult, spectacular and some shots that took just the basic shooting skills required to aim and pull a trigger with an exceptional added dose of blind luck.....Enter Billy Montenyahl, another buddy of ours....Probably around 1959 or '60. He was an experienced shooter as we were, but this shot of his took a little bit extra...We were in Joe's backyard one warm summer day hunting targets of opportunity...birds, chipmunks, butterflies, hovering bumble bees, low IQ squirrels that never learned their lesson on which yards to avoid while travelling the low wires that ran through the entire neighborhood, grasshoppers...you name it and we would shoot it :ph34r: We were in the single digits of age, maybe 10 or 11 and it was open season on everything. We were using Joe's Daisy pump model #25 and taking turns with shots. For some reason Billy got the idea that Joe and me would wait for a relatively easy or at least a shot that was possible and Billy's turn would be used up on some bird or critter that a .22 could not have reached. Here comes a yonder spotsie and it lands on the HIGH wires running through the 'hood :ph34r: These wires were in fact high...They were up there to avoid falling tree's and limbs that could come down in any number of type storms we had in Cleveland, Ohio. Not only was this sparrow up very high, but he was also on the far edge of Joe's backyard...maybe even off his Dad's property a bit. Oh man we told Billy...What a shot that would be :lol: That's when Billy said...Oh yea you guys always want me to take my turn on impossible #@+* shots like this. As he was venting his anger towards me and Joe calling us all kinds of names we knew at that age....But, he stepped forward, shouldered the Daisy pump...I can still see his elbow straight out from his body and took the shot. His entire motion and squeezing the trigger probably didn't take two seconds and his cursing us was full throttle through the entire process. The sparrow had to be 60-70 yards from the BB guns muzzle and way up there on the high wire...Billy shoots, we here impact and the spotsie drops like a rock. I wish I had a picture of Billy's face as he handed the pump over to Joe and said...It's your turn now B) ...with a big smile on his face. We all three ran across the yard to gather up Billy's trophy shot and that sparrow was nailed right in the side of his head. I don't know how it could be in this day and age...but I hope kids are having half the fun we had while growing up way back then. ....And let me add one shot of my own.... some years had slipped away and we had graduated from daisy's to Sheridan .20 caliber pellet guns. These sheridans were artillery pieces back in the 60's and were capable of great shots....I had been a bad boy for whatever reason and my Dad took my sheridan away and hid it...in plain view in his closet :lol: Of course, like all good kids I used it at will...and then put it back in dad's closet. I had just gotten it officially handed back to me and I was shooting neco wafers in the back yard....and Dad was washing the car in the front driveway.I was trying to be good and most birds back then helped me out by traversing a wide course around my yard. The critters knew my yard as an impact area and avoided it all costs :lol: Well, I had my usual 8-10 pumps in my sheridan and ready to shatter another neco...but wait...what is this...It's a pigeon flying a direct course from riverside school house over my property. Not just some ordinary pigeon either. Not the blue and purple necked variey...but a white pigeon with black mottled spots. He came flying over well above the high wires that transversed the neighborhoods, but still low enough to become a target of opportunity. As all living critters in the hood back then...he knew he was 'chancing' it, but must have figured he was safe enough at that altitude. I forgot about neco wafers and my dad washing the car and instinctively raised the sheridan and drew a bead. Old mottly pigeon must have thought me to be a little insane to be giving him any attention, as he did not land on the wires, but was in flight. But he also was probably was a little anxious at my behavior of aiming in his direction. I pulled the trigger...and heard impact! I knew from experience exactly where I hit him. He just did not fold up and fall...but he stopped in mid air, spread his wings straight out and just began to spiral down in slow circles. I knew I had hit him probably in the neck or possibly his head. He was dead on impact from that 5mm pellet, but provided quite a show. I worried about my dad seeing this spectacle, but it was worth the shot....I watched as he spiraled down almost to my feet...straight down :good: I gathered him up and admired my handi work and then put him in a brown paper lunch bag. I had shot him straight through the neck. I road my bike up Westland path and deposited him right in the middle of the path. I knew my buddies Joe and Bob would eventually go through the path and see my 'shot'. And sure enough, it was later that day and I got a call from Joe...saying you shot that white pigeon...didn't you :lol: Oh man....the memories we have of growing up and some of the shots we took. I love this stuff and hope a few of you will add a few special shots of your own B)

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

I was playing paintball with a friend of mine. He had this really heavy gun and I told him its more of a shot from the hip weapon. I grabbed it and shot at a bottle hanging from a tree at about 30 yards and nailed it while holding it at my waist. Impressed the both of us. B)

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

In 1955 I would have been 14 years old. We lived near Shaver Lake Ca. and my grandfather lived in Paradise, Ca. He had been having great luck duck hunting around Yuba City in the rice fields. Away we went with our house trailer to Yuba City and met my Grandpa there with his extra 20 guage shotgun for me. The next morning it was cold, heavy rain and very windy. The didn't bother to wake me and they went out hunting. I woke up and I dressed really warm and went outside and found a cattle loading stall with a big heavy door I could hide behind and stay dry and warm. I could not see where my dad and grandpa were, .. ducks were flying right over me at close range. I shot three ducks and had to chase all three down thru the small cattle pens and shoot them again only in the head because I did not want to damage the meat any more than necessary. I was one proud kid, and could not wait until they came back and see my great shooting and the big ducks that I had got. When they arrived, my Dad was really pissed when I showed him my ducks. I did not understand for a long minute.... then my grandpa told me to get the shovel and bury those birds. I ask why, "they're swans and it was againt the law to shot them."

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

I wunder if swan tastes good? I bet it wouldn't be that bad.

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

my Dad was really pissed when I showed him my ducks

:lol:

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

A few months ago a buddy of mine who had bought a Beeman SS1000H was complaining that he couldn't group well with the gun. I talked him through all the usual things it could be. Loose screws, scope not centered, holding the gun to tight etc. Nothing semed to change the way it was shooting. I told him bring it by the house and I'll see if I can figure out the problem. A couple of days later he came by and I started to check how his guns was set up. Everthing looked great so I took it out back and fired a shot at a target I had set up at 15 yards. Bingo! Absolutely dead center in the bullseye first shot. I'm totally surprised but play it off like I knew that would happen. He looks at me and in a PO'd tone he says, "give me that gun" and proceeds to take a shot. Bingo! In the bulls eye and touching my hole on its left side. He shoots 5 more and all of them are in the size of a nickle. So my question to him was what was different? We had not done anything to his gun. He claims that he was so pissed that I had hit the bulleye the first time that he didn't stop once to think about the noise the rifle made while he was shooting it at my place. I guess he is kind of freaked out about his neighbors hearing him at his place. He has since shot the gun at a few locations other than his home and he shoots great. When he trys to shoot at home though he's all over the place again.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Last December I was out hunting squirrels and sat down on an old cattle shutte for a break. I had my rifle laying across my thighs...noticed something move about 10 feet to my left...it was a squirrel just standing there looking at me...without moving the rifle,I sighted down the barrel,released the safety and pulled the trigger...I missed the nutter...!!! LOL...

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Rich,Glad to hear that even the grim reaper of ground squirrels has an off day. :roflmao3[1]: Have you thought about keeping a rock handy?

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

When I was 13 or 14 I shot a crow off of a powerline, and when I hit him he was DRT but turned upside down on the wire and grasped the wire fore about 1 1/2 minutes. That 1 1/2 minutes seemed like forever thinking that my mom was going to walk outside and see the crow hanging out.

#10 evileyes

evileyes

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I was out hunting/hiking down in a local valley. The weather was kinda overcast and windy that day and there was just nothing to shoot at but old pepsi cans and trash. I probably covered nearly 3 miles when I decided it was time to head back to the truck. I hiked up to the top of the valley when I saw a bunch of crows riding the updrafts. I decided to take a shot at one that was about 80 to 90 yards out. I lead him about 3 feet in front and pulled the trigger. THWACK!! and he just dropped straight down. I could'nt believe it. I was just mad there was noone there to witness it.

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

turned upside down on the wire and grasped the wire fore about 1 1/2 minutes. That 1 1/2 minutes seemed like forever thinking that my mom was going to walk outside and see the crow hanging out.

:roflmao3[1]: Was that a neck shot by any chance...Hangers ROCK :yahoo:

I lead him about 3 feet in front and pulled the trigger. THWACK!! and he just dropped straight down. I could'nt believe it. I was just mad there was noone there to witness it.

:roflmao3[1]: That's what I'm talking about....So much fun! At least you were there to see it :roflmao3[1]:

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

Rich,Glad to hear that even the grim reaper of ground squirrels has an off day. :signbs1zn: Have you thought about keeping a rock handy?

That's why bought the 1377C....lol....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users