2 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Quick and dirty with the photo:Posted ImageThat's a Knoxx Adjustable stock for my old Mossberg 500 12ga. I picked it up a couple of months ago when I was building the gun into a part-time home defense weapon. I bought it based on a couple of factors:
  • It's black, so it's scary to idiots. I figure that'll at least be good for something if Oakland ever has a major earthquake and goes all Katrina on us.
  • It's got a shoulder stock as well as a pistol grip. I'd initially bought a Hogue pistol grip, but immediately realized it was too hard to aim and hold on to.
  • I figured the recoil reduction would make it easier for my wife to fire the gun if need be even with a fairly heavy load.
Just for kicks, I screwed the normal 28" barrel back on and took it to the range the other day for some trap.Now, I figured the whole 'recoil reduction' thing was a bit of a gimmick. I was wrong -- the stock significantly reduces recoil from the weapon, making it much easier to hold on target for a theoretical second shot and basically allowing me to shoot all day without a hint of soreness in my shoulder. Subjectively, I'd say the kick is less than that of a 20ga. now.Because the length of the stock is fully adjustable, the fit was excellent as well. Once I got it the perfect size for me, it felt far more natural than the Mossberg did with the wooden stock. This translated into better scores than I'd ever seen previously when I started from a resting position (rather than having the gun up already).Anyhow, I'm a fan. The only thing I really don't like about it from a hunting perspective is that it looks way too tacticool -- I'd feel like an idiot taking it out into the field. Your mileage obviously may vary on this, but I heavily prefer wood stocks as a matter of personal preference.

#2 jthompson

jthompson

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Definitely has that scare factor though.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

Yep, those stocks are sweet. I had one on my 590 before I sold it.As for the hunting, why not camo it?? Then it will blend right in as a hunting rig. I wouldn't be too worried about the Katrina wannbees seeing your camo'd shotgun. The sound of racking a shell as well as the boom of the blast will get there attention (if the #4 buck doesn't). :unsure:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users