5 replies to this topic

#1 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

What's up predators, hope your monday went well. So here's my question, I recently bought 150 rounds of ammo but this is the first time I ever buy this type of ammo. What has been your experience with hornady 55 gr FMJ-BT with steel case? pros & cons of brass vs. steel?The range I shot at doesn't let members shot ammo that "sticks" to a magnet. If i get bad info from all of you I'll just have to find someone that likes using this stuff. I don't think I can ship ammo though, right?Thanks in advance. Posted ImagePosted Image
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Well I think your range does not allow steel core where they stick a magnet to the bullet to check it.I cannot see a reason for them not allowing steel case.I dont care for steel cased ammo myself but thats just personal preferance.

#3 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I have heard that steel cases will cause you to go through extractors more often as steel is much harder than the traditional brass cases. I also have heard that some steel case ammo will have problems with expansion for a tight fit in the chamber, causing rapid loss of pressure......enough pressure loss that the bullet didn't even get pushed out of the barrel. Be very carefull with steel cases!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

"Training Ammo" is generally not very useful for hunting purposes as they are not loaded for consistency/accuracy but more for "weapons handling and firing" exercises. The steel cases are also used because of the cost of brass vs. steel and the durability of the steel cases to resist expansions which enables them to be reloaded more often than steel. At least that's what my Armorer buddy tells me. I have used steel cased ammo like Wolf .223 just for breaking in rifles but I would not use them for hunting due to the insufficient accuracy I've gotten with them. Now, in my "Zombie" guns, I'll kill targets all day with the stuff :two-cents: .....
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

ok thanks for the info everyone, I'm not sure if ill keep this stuff then. I'll have to sell it :two-cents:
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Its only 150 rounds ,just shoot the stuff up should only take a few minutes.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users