• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a Jeep or Camo ATV for hunting purposes. I prefer to Stalk, so I wouldn't be pursuing anything with the vehicle. I thought this group would have an opinion on which way is the best to go to start. Looking forward to your thoughts.SCTrojanHunter

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

We have four jeeps in our family and love them. The added benefit is that they are all licensed so we can drive them to the place where we are going to be hunting. No trailer, no unloading or reloading, etc. Plus we tend to hunt together so we all can pile in together. Of course if your jeep isn't licensed then you have to load unload it as well. If it is licensed you have to pay for registration every year. I know some farms and ranches don't allow the ATVs on their property because they worry about liability and tearing up the land so if you hunt private land you may want to take that into account. I'm sure there are other things to think about but I personally prefer the jeep. Of course there are others that will go with the quad.

#3 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

I have an ATV but I've spotted more game from my truck than the ATV. I think game on public property get wise to the ATV sound more than the vehicle sound. With a nice muffler, you could keep your jeep real quiet in the woods.ATV's are super nice for covering lots of ground, especially when scouting out new areas.

#4 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

We have four jeeps in our family and love them. The added benefit is that they are all licensed so we can drive them to the place where we are going to be hunting. No trailer, no unloading or reloading, etc. Plus we tend to hunt together so we all can pile in together. Of course if your jeep isn't licensed then you have to load unload it as well. If it is licensed you have to pay for registration every year. I know some farms and ranches don't allow the ATVs on their property because they worry about liability and tearing up the land so if you hunt private land you may want to take that into account. I'm sure there are other things to think about but I personally prefer the jeep. Of course there are others that will go with the quad.

Thank you. Family is definitely a consideration with two growing boys (4 & 7) who I hope will be coming with me hunting in the next few years.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'm thinking of one of the older jeeps. For work on the property it will haul more and pull larger trailer. Then is the aspect of using it on the road for trips to town and such. Depending on exactly what you will be doing with it there are arguments both ways. As usual there is no perfect solution.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

If you hunt with a large crew those new four door jeeps are pretty cool with the top off. Like being on safari!!!

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

If you intend on hunting only in Calif A jeep would work fine.. But out of state Id use a quad.. When we go to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah etc we always take our quads. Reason is back there in the real world quads will get you into places no jeep will go. Where we hunt in Colorado we camp up top as far as we can get, around the 11,000 ft. We park the truck, unload the quads, an set up camp.. from that point on we use quads to get way back in. Walking isnt an option because we have to get back in real far and make it back out once it gets dark. No way would we be able to walk that...Plus we cover alot of ground. Where we go its not accessible to jeeps/trucks. Also we use our quads to pack out the elk and deer. The only time we use our truck in Colorado is going to town or to go over and check out another unit and the quad goes with us to retrieve game. SO alot I think would depend on how you hunt. WE drive to camp, ride quads to never never land, It works for us.. Sometimes Ill drop son and hubby off and meet them at a different location for pick up or to get the game...

#8 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

Great points. I hunt California and Arizona. Have yet to do Colorado or elsewhere, but heading to Wyoming this fall. Thanks for the great advice.

#9 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

there are places outside Calif, I know that Idaho is one of them, where you can only use ATV, etc to retreive your game off trails. you're mainly stuck to the main dirt roads. But hey, I'm okay with that - keeps people from tearing up the country side!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I like a jeep. If you need to use a road you can. ATV's in California are becoming a nasty word. Where you could once use them is now becoming very limited.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

I know how you feel with this dillema. I went through it last year and I am feeling the NEED for a Rhino again. I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport and with the limited hunting I do, I can get just about anywhere in my Jeep. But, it just doesn't have that in-your-face fun factor of the Rhino. ;) I'm currently looking again though I have faith in the boss that it will NOT get approved. lol So I will probably just use my Jeep again next season.

#12 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Jeep all the way! I take mine all over CA, NV, and AZ. It will go to CO this year as well for Elk hunting.Darren

#13 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

WHat part of Colorado you heading to? We hunt around Rangely, I am going 2nd season and late season I Hope <Fingers crossed> We always put in for cow elk and pick up a bull tag or two as well..

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Jeeps have heaters and comfy seats and some with A/C.

#15 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

LOL so does my Polaris Ranger.. Heater, Fan, Nice comfy seat, doors, windshield wipers, stereo, the list goes on ;)

#16 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Go with a Jeep! If you're worried about dinging up or scratching your Jeep, get an older one. Me, I don't care about dings or scratches on my '05 Rubicon, it's a Jeep and it's meant for use offroad where I wouldn't take my car or a truck. I take it into areas most people won't take an ATV or UTV (they'd roll them). I've used the side armor to pivot around trees and boulders. I've used the skidplate to teeter totter while hi-sided on a boulder. The one thing I can say is that I always know what I'm doing and know the risks when offroading. I never "beat" my Jeep up, in fact, the fastest it's ever been driven in the dirt is 20mph down a dirt road. That said, you also have to take care of the vehicle and know how to work on it if it breaks down. Carry the necessary tools to help yourself get back to civilization. I also carry all kinds of communication devices (cell phone, 3 cb radios-vehicle and two handhelds, mobile ham radio, 2 FRS radios and my SPOT satellite communicator). Don't forget the First Aid kits! As one can see, I tend to over prepare. Not much use for an ATV in California, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona where I normally tend to hunt.My Jeep!Attached File  IMG_0302.JPG   78.02KB   62 downloadsGood Luck and Get a Jeep. More fun with the family!!!

#17 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

JeepAttached File  100_1056_1.jpg   46.76KB   54 downloads

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

WHat part of Colorado you heading to? We hunt around Rangely, I am going 2nd season and late season I Hope <Fingers crossed> We always put in for cow elk and pick up a bull tag or two as well..

Where I always go. Area 10 during 3/4 combined Rifle season. Just north of Rangely where you head. In fact I go into Rangely from time to time in order to get more supplies and do laundry if necessary.Darren

#19 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

How often do you hunt 10? Last I heard it took ALOT of points for deer or Elk and you get both??

#20 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Cow elk is what I go after. Saving my points for bull elk (need between 10-12 points). I haven't been out the last two years (getting my daughter up to speed on deer currently). Hunting it over the past few years, I have only missed out on one draw for cow elk and it is my second choice after a preference point. Area 11 is the tough one to get.Darren

#21 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thank you everyone for the great input. Looks like a Jeep is the way to go, perhaps picking up an ATV some time in the future if my Boss approves. Great pic's and nice looking setups.

#22 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

I have a Jeep and a ATV I use them both. I mostly hunt here in CA with the Jeep due to limited access with the Quad. When I hunted out of state in UT I would take the ATV it was not as loud or noisy as the jeep. I could get around better on the ATV. Only problem with the ATV you have to load and unload them. Do you have a Pick Up truck? If not you have to get a trailer. Why not get both?Attached File  1.jpg   31.1KB   20 downloads

#23 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

If money isn't a issue i'd go with jeep or any other 4x4. especially in california. I like my quad and loading unloading isnt a issue with me because i park and walk in. You can go more places in the street legal vehicle. Now, if i were rich i'd have a 4x4 and a horse! that would be the dream. With the quadk, i have driven up on does and actually followed them with my wife. Some get use to them being around which would really be great if i could have shot the doe.

#24 jdbark1952

jdbark1952

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Looking for a hunting partner, hopefully near me that will be able to go out and target practice, go on pre hunt scouting trips.<br /><br />I like to go deer hunting, and quail hunting more than most anything else, but would go for pigs, doves, and pheasants. I no longer have a dog so pheasants are not really a major desire for me. I also like to just go camping and used to love to back packing and wouldn't mind doing that some more.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've only hunted from jeep like vehicles and from a honda trail 90 and 110. Love each one for different reasons, I'm sure a quad would be great too. If I were to go buy something today though, I'd look for a CJ-7.

#25 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:36 AM

cj are the way to go for sure

#26 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've got an old 80' CJ-5 and a 12 yr. old Honda quad. I like the CJ for putting around the bak roads on its own or I have it set up with a RV toad puller that allow me tow it behind my pickup. The jeep hooks up or un hooks in a matter of a few minutes. The jeep I paid $2500 10 years ago (Cheaper than the quad) and I don't want to guess how many squirrels I've shot out of it. I do have a nice tilt trailer for the quad which makes it very easy for loading etc. but it is not as comfortable and shady as the jeep. If I'm working some recently irrigated pasture the quad is a must have as the jeep is too heavy and farmers don't like rutts.

#27 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

J**P?? "LANDCRUISER BABY" Will fit the fam. and your gear in comfort and 4wheels like crazy!!!Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

So exactly how ATV unfriendly is CA now? How do ya know where it's okay to ride an ATV and where it's not?

#29 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

there are maps telling where u can go. Hey, Ive been in deeper snow then that on the quad lol. but I froze my butt off, after you freeze then your okay can't feel the cold anymore lol.

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

.....Reason is back there in the real world quads will get you into places no jeep will go.....

But it's illegal to drive a quad on a paved main road when moving from one hunting spot to another and in most places it's illegal to get off a trail with a quad anyway so actually the jeep will go where no quad can go. :good: Get a beater jeep that you wont mind scratching and it'll go wherever you need to go........plus you can haul out an elk or a few hogs in one trip if you ever have to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users