12 replies to this topic

#1 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

I shot up some subs today and I am liking these rounds :carnage: Decent accuracy and very quiet. If you have a next door neighbor...they will never be bothered by them and probably will not even hear them if they are indoors. I did some back searching on some forums and found some info on sub rounds. The subs I shot were Remington HP's and they seem to not be so desirable as far as the subsonic pecking order goes. I can't wait to get my hands on those Eley's from what I hear about them. But, I was very satisfied with the remmies. I also punched a few things to check the power...and there is plenty of killing power in these silent shooters. I bought these at Walmarts, but I noticed the gun shop has a brand named 'Monarch'...any comments on them or any other brand you guys might be having good results with? Thanks! Here's a ten shot group at 40 yards with my CZ Ultra Lux.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

Those sub sonics shoot great Mike! Those are all minute of squirrel. :carnage:

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

We shoot various subs out at my buddy's property. The CCI's and Rem's seem to group well. The CCI CB's seem to be much quieter though.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Love the Remington subsonics. My daughter uses them all the time. Great when you don't want to spook small game.Darren

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

Love the Remington subsonics. Great when you don't want to spook small game.

Thanks guys...Your right on not spooking game. I'd like to find a bunch of pigeons on a barn top as I bet you could watch several slide down the roof and the others sitting there wondering what's going on...Next please :D The CCI CB's seem to be much quieter though....Your right...About all you hear with the CB's is the firing pin hitting. I have not tried them out in this gun yet.Those are all minute of squirrel...I don't think the squirrels are going to like these things John :D

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Mike there seems to be a number of subsonic makers out there. Until you brought this up I never noticed it. I guess I've been away from the lowly .22 for too long. I even saw some 60gr. .22 subsonic rounds! :D

#7 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

The 60grain bullets have a huge drop after a few yards. That is why I like the 36grain Remington ones personally. Only a couple of inches of drop at 50-100 yards. No huge scope adjustment required when switching between the regular and the subsonic ammo. If I remember right, the CCI ones I tested basically only had primer in them and no powder to make them subsonic. Really quiet, but no downrange punch at all. Been a bit since I tested all of them.Darren

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

I know the 60's would drop but at 20 feet into a skunk I can risk it. That 60 would be like hitting them with a brick. :D :D :D

#9 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

I use the 60 grn. out of my Buckmark. I like them.

#10 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

I think I read somewhere on the web...a few years back...that you needed to have a faster rate of twist on your 22 in order to stablize the 60gr subsonics. That was the main reason why I have never even try those little bullets. I believe the standard rate of twist for 22lr is 1:16.Has anyone had any bad experience firing those 60gr out of standard rifles?

#11 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I shoot the 60 gn sub sonics out of a 10-22 and have no prblems at all, they even cycle through semi automatic weapons. They do drop quite a bit but out to 30 yards it isn't bad enough that a little kentuky windage will take care of. Last year I even killed a coyote in the back yard with a good heart shot at 25 yards that dog only ran 20 feet and piled up. Those rounds are made by aguilla and are called sniper sub-sonics. I don't know about tumbling or barrel twist but at 25 yards they are pretty accurate and will go through two 3/4" sheets of plywood and splinter the back of the third.

#12 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

I've actually done quite a bit of ammo testing through my Volquartsen-ized 10/22. THe best and mot practical subsonics I have shot are the CCI HP subs. They are quiet, but by no means the quietest. they are accurate through my rifle and pretty much every other rifle I have shot them out of, they also function flawlessly in the semi autos! I hunt rabbits with these rounds regularly and have had consistent hits out to 80 yards or so. They make great, quick kills on rabbits and squirrels, massive energy deposit!! I get ragged 1-hole 10-shot groups out of these consistently at 25 yards. If you want all around quiet, CCI CB's are the way to go! Accurate too! I have taken raccoons, many, many, many rabbits with them and my neighbor recently took a nice coyote with one headshot. Dropped it in his backyard like a sack of potatoes. Very quick and clean. They are accurate as well and even seem quieter when shot out of bolt actions.In my experience, the 60gr SSS rounds are kinda of gimiky, they are slow, drop like a rock, not all that quiet and not very accurate past 20 yards unless you have the proper twist barrel for them...Bottom line, I love sub sonics!!!! This goes hand in hand with my love for airgun hunting for small game.

#13 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

I dug and dug for the post where we were talking about .22 subsonic ammo.. Here are some of the ones I have used. The rounds on the left and the SSS will cycle a 10/22 and Conversion kit for an AR. But they are pretty loud! The CB and CB shorts are the best in my book but will not cycle, The Red box, yellow box and blue/silver box are the no "powder" rounds and are less than an air gun when shot in a rifle but they don't have much power/consistency to them.. Not to loud out of a .22 pistol either. I let my oldest daughter shoot them in my Buckmark at the river.. Nice and safe plus it's 1 round at a time. She shoots them in her Cricket as well.Attached File  1.jpg   32.35KB   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users