#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

...here in SO CAL....86 F today,so run over to my friends ranch to ding some squirrels...35 yards on this one...Posted ImageThis guy was being difficult (60 yards)...he kept feeding behind a corral post...but finally got in the clear after 10 minutes...got him in the cabeza....and he never quite made it to his burrow...Posted ImageThis is looking back to where I shot him from..(red circle)....big pepper tree....Posted ImageDiscovery .22...JSB express 14.3 gr...

#2 socalmatt

socalmatt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Nice shooting!
Join the NRA

#3 Wingman115

Wingman115

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking,Backpacking,Air Gun Shooting,Woodworking<br />

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Nice shooting Rich. You got a nice clear fire zone there.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

The pepper tree is a good hide/shooting location...can shoot about 300 degrees with shots from 40 to 75 yards...mostly into banks around corrals...between this place and the other horse ranch think I've done in over 150 squirrels since August...nailed 37 at this place so far and only put in a couple hours twice a week...The owner is letting me do FT practice in his large arena starting Thursday...will be setting up targets at different ranges/elevations...and if a squirrel happens by....LOL...

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Nice shooting!

Thanks...just takes patience...I sit under that pepper tree waiting for squirrels to pop out of their burrows...and they always stick to the edges of the corrals...rarely do they scamper out in the open...I just have to take care not the hit the pipes and have a ricochet..

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

I bet your friend is happy to have you remove those buggers from his corral area. I have a friend like that too and those holes can be dangerous to the horses. Plus they're fun to shoot. Miss them once and they get smart fast. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

That is a sweet gig you have it's nice to have what seams to be a never ending supply of critters to dent up nice shooting disco you have with that open space the report must not be an issue

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

This is one of two places I have been asked to ding squirrels....neat thing is here ground squirrels are open season year round...

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

That is a sweet gig you have it's nice to have what seams to be a never ending supply of critters to dent up nice shooting disco you have with that open space the report must not be an issue

Here are my observations re noise (rifle report). Most often, when I shoot,the other squirrels will bolt to their burrows...but they come back out after about 10-15 minutes...but sometimes,if I shoot a single squirrel,others come out to investigate.....On shots 50-60 yards,even on a miss...the squirrel(s) will just freeze not knowing what is happening...and I can take a second shot...I take care to always shoot from a well concealed postion....I use two air rifles shooting squirrels...my Umarex 850 is much quieter than the Disco, but it does not make much difference in the way the squirrels react...at least in my experience..This is why I have not bothered to put a shroud on the Disco....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users