• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

I'm just amazed at how short of supply handguns seem to be right now. Seems to be no problems finding 9mm, 380 auto, 22LR handguns but if you want something in 40 or 45 pickings are slim. The local gun shop tried ordering 15 different hand guns from three different distributors this morning to fullfill customer orders. They only found 1 out of those 15 they were looking for. After seeing the empty shelves all over the valley, I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. Of course if you are willing to pay a lot more $$$$ Herb Bauer has lots of stock still.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Yes - There is very little handgin inventory here and the prices are skyrocketing on what they have in some cases. AR-15 clones are also in short supply or pretty much backlogged. Some of the rules Holder has for the new assault weapons ban may likely affect many more guns than the previous ban.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I've heard ARs are going for as much as 4000+ in some places to due to shortages. Same with AKs and they are both flying off the shelf. Sportsmans had only a handful of shotguns left on Saturday. I hear ammo is getting scarce also.

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Yep, buy whatever you can afford or find NOW. Or whatever you can't afford and deal with it later. Prices are ONLY going to go up. Start checking your Wal-marts for ammo (unless you reload and have plenty of components). There is a running thread over at Calguns about Wal-mart. Ammo is flying off the shelves as soon as they get it in. I was in Wal-mart this weekend, stopped by the ammo counter, there was a guy buying ALL of the .40sw WWB they had. Must have been like 40 boxes. There was still a line about 8 guys long around the ammo counter waiting to get whatever they can.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

That was me :signlol2iu: :unsure: I have been at Wal-Mart once or twice a week because they are rationing out the ammo. I finally have a few thousand rounds of 9mm and 40SW WWB. I sold an SKS a while back and wish i had kept it. I was offered four times what I paid for one of my AKs but I won't part wth them.

I'm an airgunholic

#6 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

My Wallyworldmart in Tracy had about 60 boxes of 40 S&W on the shelf along with some 100 rd packs of Federal .223 this past weekend. I picked up 4 boxes of .40 S&W and 1 box 100rds of .223.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#7 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

I don't see any handgun shortage I have six in my safe from 32HRmag up to 7mm08 :roflmao3[1]:

#8 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

:roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :yikes[1]: Now jimd that is funny.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

I'm good for handguns, start at 22 short and goes up to 308. Yes, I do have a couple that will do for serious social occasions. :roflmao3[1]: Handload all of them 'ceptin the rimfires.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

I need more handguns. I've already got 4 but still don't have the basic 9mm and .40.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#11 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I think what is driving part of it in California is the microstamping for 2010. If you don't get it this year you probably won't ever be able to be a semi auto handgun again.

#12 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

I pick up my new S&W M&P 40C tomorrow.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#13 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

I think what is driving part of it in California is the microstamping for 2010. If you don't get it this year you probably won't ever be able to be a semi auto handgun again.

Jason, no way is microstamping going to happen in 2010, in fact it may not happen at all.Here's the law. Part in bold, is the part that says it's not going to happen cause only 1 company holds the patents for the microstamping technology.Penal Code 12126As used in this chapter, "unsafe handgun" means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, for which any of the following is true: (B) For a pistol:(7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph. The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 12090 and 12094. _________________Bob_

#14 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Ah! So since there is only one then the law doesn't apply. Nice! I know there is a lot of confusion out there about this.

#15 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Besure to wear waders more FUD out there then bear poop

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Is this true?? Then why all the hipe over micro stamping?? So we still have time to buy handguns cool
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#17 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Jason, no way is microstamping going to happen in 2010, in fact it may not happen at all.

I can only concur... to begin with, any revolver is more than able to kill as efficiently as a semi-autos and they RETAIN their spent shells. Also if ammo is reloaded and several different people use it (let's say... in a gang), how in the hell will the police make sense of 10 different imprints on the same cartridge?Our schooling system at work... the law is something I would see come from "Idiocracy" and not a supposed civilized parliament.

#18 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

I picked this up today. S&W M&P 40CPosted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#19 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

That is a nice gun
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#20 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

I picked this up today. S&W M&P 40CPosted Image

Hey Frank, that is sweet. Let us know how she shoots.Bob

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Nice - my annual bonus finally arrived so it's shopping time...

I'm an airgunholic

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Nice M&p that was my first choice but they were out so I bought the xd-40 they both handled great and felt good.I think the guns are more in stock now then before the election they seem to be catching up a little.It depends where you shop I guess.

#23 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

Ya a lot of stuff I was looking at getting was out of stock.

#24 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Yep, buy whatever you can afford or find NOW. Or whatever you can't afford and deal with it later. Prices are ONLY going to go up.

I doubt it, the bubble will burst eventually IMO especially with this recession. Do you happen to work for;/own a gunshop?:drool:

#25 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

I doubt it, the bubble will burst eventually IMO especially with this recession.

Lowers have just about doubled in price in the past 5 months and the last I heard, we have been in a recession. This isnt like buying the hot toy for you're kid at Christmas because you know they are going to run out. I doubt that the bubble is going to burst on gun sales, especially the one's our goverment are targeting.

#26 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

I doubt that the bubble is going to burst on gun sales, especially the one's our goverment are targeting.

I think that covers all guns.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#27 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I doubt it, the bubble will burst eventually IMO especially with this recession. Do you happen to work for;/own a gunshop?:)

????So far there has been NO slow down. I'm sure you are right though. At SOME point the firearms bubble will burst (more likely level off). That COULD be years from now.I don't work for a gun-store, but I have been paying attention to prices and availability.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#28 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Holders new version of the assualt weapons ban sez it all. They changed the rules where only one condition instead of two (under the original ban) are necessary to ban a weapon. That kicks up the numbers of weapons covered many fold if it passes.

I'm an airgunholic

#29 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Picked up a second Browning Buck Mark Target Stainless and ended up going with another Bushnell Holosight. One local store had it for $473 and that seemed too low so I couldn't resist with the shortages and all (at lease that is what I told my wife). Attached File  1.jpg   15.62KB   18 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#30 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

This past weekend I was at a party and was talking to some good friends who are into shooting and they were asking me questions regarding where I get all my toys from and I just happen to mention that I have bought several guns online through Buds Gun Shop. So we decided to get online and check out buds website, well to say I was shocked would be an understatement. They hardly had anything in stock including rilfes. Their handgun selection was really reduced in inventory. Hope this is not a sign of the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users