9 replies to this topic

#1 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

anyone trying bow n arrow on turkey? it's going to be my first year? how should i be parpared? i know it's harder. what grain should i use?

#2 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

I'm trying it with a bow. I'll be using 100 gr Muzzy MX-3's with a Muzzy Grasshopper to slow the penetration down. The hardestthing about bowhunting turkey's is drawing your bow. I would highly suggest some sort of blind. As far as getting them in range, it shouldn't be any different that with a shotgun. I've killed both my turkey's with a shotgun at less than 20 yds. Decoys may help. Place them at known yardages. Hen's facing away and jake's facing toward. Here's a pic showing the killzone on a turkey with a bow. Good luck!Attached File  killzone.JPG   66.31KB   48 downloads

#3 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'd like to try this:http://www.cabelas.c...76490189a.shtmlanyone ever tried the Guillotine?

#4 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

thanks for the info guys and the pics. i was planning on using the muzzys too. good luck!!!

#5 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING THAT GOES BANG.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

just use what you shoot. I have taken 6 toms with a bow and found that any broadhead works, just remenber "hit them high watch them die" "hit them low and watch them go". Try and hit either the wingbut or through the hips, it bust them bad and they can't fly or run.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I'd like to try this:http://www.cabelas.c...76490189a.shtmlanyone ever tried the Guillotine?

My bud's tried them the first year they were bow hunting for turkey. I believe the box says either 10 yards or 10 feet...either way, 10 feet seemed more accurate, after that...all they did was slice dramatically. On the guillotine website they show shots that look plenty further than the advertised distance, but that's marketing...

#7 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Jeff, that was my first thought - how accurate are they at 20 yards? I can see where they could start going off spiral and target. Yea, I saw the video too! How did your buddy do using these things? Guess I will stay with my broad heads or pellets B)

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

They both took shots within 20 yards, and the guillotine's never got more than 10 or 15 feet before slicing DRASTICALLY. I do not see how one could hit the neck of a turkey unless it was in your lap! I'd stick with your broadheads! Two buddy's tried them and both of them don't use them anymore. I was laughing my ass off at them on that hunting trip! It really was comical - watching these things fly through the air like a remote control helicopter flown by 3 year old. And the flock of about 30 turkeys running away in the distance!!And to think I didn't take any shots with the shotgun because I wanted to see a turkey's head fall off! ha! B)

#9 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I bet that was hilarious...yea, the video sure makes it look easy! Can't wait to call in the gobblers...with this rain and green grass sprouting up, with just one break where the weather turns those Tom's will be trying to hen up. I think this will be a great season!

#10 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

If I'm reading your regs right, you can use expandables. Might check out the NAP Gobbler Getter. Supposed to the heat for turkey's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users