#1 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

I've been bringing my Remmy 870 yote hunting lately. It has a 28" barrel w/.660 choke, patterns real good as it is, but wondering if the 28 inch length is too long. Should I be looking for a shorter barrel or am I ok at where it is? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

I also shoot a 28" for coyotes. 24" is as short as I would personally go but I don't think I'd spend the money on a new barrel to get there. You still need a little bit of a sighting plane even for coyotes.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#3 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

No your 28" barrel is not too long. I like the 28" barrels for hunting coyotes. When I am sitting or laying down the 28" barrels are sticking out past my feet. Longer barrels are easier to swing smoothly too.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

That's a very good point, Bob. When I'm goose hunting laying out in the spread or laying out flat on a stand I like to rest the barrel across my right foot with the business end beyond the point it may do any damage to me even if I forget to engage the safety. I've always been fond of the 28" length for field work and for sporting clays.

#5 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Moe and Bob. Good points. Saved me some money by not having to buy another barrel, whew. Now I can do that camo job I've been planning on it. Thanks.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

That's a very good point, Bob. When I'm goose hunting laying out in the spread or laying out flat on a stand I like to rest the barrel across my right foot with the business end beyond the point it may do any damage to me even if I forget to engage the safety. I've always been fond of the 28" length for field work and for sporting clays.

Moe, I shoot quite a bit of Sporting Clays and a little trap and skeet and I have never seen anyone shooting a pistol gripped short barrel shotgun at any of these clay target sports. In fact over the last 20 years or more the barrels have been getting longer on most of the target shotguns. I guess I just don't understand why some people think that the shotgun they shoot at birds won't work on coyotes.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

We've been involved in this discussion before. Waterfowl, upland bird and trap were my main sports for a lot of years with trap being almost an obsession. I was a AA singles shooter and had a 27 yard handicap and I shot at least one case (500 rounds) and often two cases of shells per week. I was lucky in that I managed the gun club and didn't have to pay for my targets. I also guided waterfowl hunters for several years. The point I'm trying to make is that I know what I'm doing when it comes to shotguns. Folks these days seem to follow fads and a lot of us older guys know that most of what is being hyped and sold to the new kids just isn't all that necessary. I saw "tactical" shotguns (Armalite) in SE Asia (came within an inch of getting killed by one in the wrong hands) and they didn't have a pistol grip. To me there is nothing more versatile than a shotgun. It's a very useful tool. In the US you can use them to shoot anything from a dove to a deer and they'll do the job in a very efficient manner. Put that pistol grip on it and you've made it into a highly specialized tool and damaged it's versatility. I think it's plain nuts.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Ditto :smiley_kewlpics: Well said.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Other than maybe turkey hunting, I've never understood the pistol grip shotgun. They don't handle like a shotgun should. I tried shooting trap with a friends pistol gripped M-90 and it just felt weird.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

We've been involved in this discussion before. Waterfowl, upland bird and trap were my main sports for a lot of years with trap being almost an obsession. I was a AA singles shooter and had a 27 yard handicap and I shot at least one case (500 rounds) and often two cases of shells per week. I was lucky in that I managed the gun club and didn't have to pay for my targets. I also guided waterfowl hunters for several years. The point I'm trying to make is that I know what I'm doing when it comes to shotguns. Folks these days seem to follow fads and a lot of us older guys know that most of what is being hyped and sold to the new kids just isn't all that necessary. I saw "tactical" shotguns (Armalite) in SE Asia (came within an inch of getting killed by one in the wrong hands) and they didn't have a pistol grip. To me there is nothing more versatile than a shotgun. It's a very useful tool. In the US you can use them to shoot anything from a dove to a deer and they'll do the job in a very efficient manner. Put that pistol grip on it and you've made it into a highly specialized tool and damaged it's versatility. I think it's plain nuts.

I agree 100%. I use shottty's for self defense weapons and everything else. I have handguns and rifles but when it comes to defending myself in close quarters I'll take any shotgun I have available. No pistol grip or fancy dog poop on it just a good ol reliable shotty for me with #4 buck if possible.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#11 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

I agree 100%. I use shottty's for self defense weapons and everything else. I have handguns and rifles but when it comes to defending myself in close quarters I'll take any shotgun I have available. No pistol grip or fancy dog poop on it just a good ol reliable shotty for me with #4 buck if possible.

The only thing worse then a shotgun for defense is a rifle.Why? size weight and power.a shotgun is to big to be concealed reliably making it useless for conceal carry. It's to big and heavy to use reliably one handed, let alone one handed in your off hand.The length of a shogun makes it impossible to use and easy to loose in close encounters. By close encounters I'm referring to having an attacker up against your body. Before you say "well you shouldn't let anyone get that close" understand you may have to turn corners and turn exiting door ways giving an attacker an excellent chance at getting "That Close".another problem is penetration. if you miss with a shotgun even the lightest shotgun loads like the ones you use to shoot dove and trap with can easily blow threw 2 layers of sheet rock up close making it an issue if you don't live by yourself or you live in an apartment. With training and practice you can learn to shoot accurately up to 7 yards from the hip/waist with a hand gun, and you can use frangible ammo that reduces the chance of going threw more then one layer of sheet rock. It's also easier to walk around your house/property with a concealed handgun all day then with a shotgun. its far harder to take a handgun away from some on then a rifle or shotgun. Don't get me wrong shotguns have some very good defense uses. specially outdoors when you have a large piece of property like a ranch or farm. loaded up with 00 buck a shotgun gives you a better sight radius and gives you a little play with accuracy issues not to mention greater range. A shotgun is a great compliment to a handgun. but in the home the handgun is king if you have the skill to use it.Lastly there is no substitute for Skill. Get training and practice allot.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users