7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

I don't know what happened to my .22 semi auto but I sighted it in a couple of weeks ago and it was dead on at 50yrds I went out plinking last Saturday and I could not hit the broad side of a barn, it was way too high. I kept the gun in a locked tight fitting foam case which was not moved for the week. I would like to bore scope it and I was looking at this particular model (LaserLyte Kryptonyte Green Laser Bore Sighter) but before I peel off some lettuce are they worth it or is it just a waste of money?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

Maybe humidity - weather? Is it a wood stock. Get the Leupold boresighter....Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

It's probably your scope has a problem. Get the Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. But it works a little different. You really use it after you sight the rifle. Then you make up one of the cards with where the scope shows on the boresighter. That way you can slap the unit onto the barrel and see if the aim point has moved. I have two of the Leupold units and all of my guns have a scope chart I carry with them. That way when you get to where you're going you can put it on and quickly check your scope.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

First off, make sure your scope mounts are set properly then Loctited in place so you won't have any loosening of the screws. Second, did your rifle case get bounced around on your way to the plinking area? Third, what type of scope mounts do you have? Weaver, Leupold, etc..... With your typical weaver mounts, you have to make sure the "feet" grab or fit the channels or rails properly. One could mount them, tighten them and think they are grabbing the channels or rails properly, only to get the scope impacted (even slightly) and the "feet" move in the channels or rails. Same goes for Leupold Dovetail mounts. I always make sure to give the scope a light fist tap after I've sighted them in, then shoot another 5-10 rounds just to make sure it's still on target. Just a tip!!! :roflmao3[1]:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I think what I will do first is take the scope completely off and reinstall it then see what happens when I sight in in againThanks all

#6 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

You may have just banged the sucker at some point, too. I wouldn't panic unless it happens again.

#7 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I did take off the scope and reinstall it and I'm sure it's knats a$$ on now. I called the range today and I will try to take it over this week and punch some paper & I hope that is all it was just needing some TLC or it could be the ammo, we'll see.

#8 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Finally took my gun out to the range and the first shot group it was very tight then made some adjustments and got it even closer and on the final set of adjustments it was six inches high. The only thing I done different was when I turned the dial I pushed a little hard. The scope has been on the same gun for 15+ years so I think it's time for a new one; I have been reading the reviews on scopes and what do you all think of this Nikon Prostaff 4 x 32?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users