11 replies to this topic

#1 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

Has anyone shot a pig and the arrows couldnt go in because of the armor, I always worry about this. I know about the 1\4 away shot but what if it does not present it's self. My setup is 65lbs., IBO at 305, and 28 with 3 blade muzzy 100gr. Any stories or recommendation on broadhead or about my set up against a thick armor boar.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

I think you will be fine with your setup. You hit one broadside and your broadheads are sharp it should pass completely through.

#3 Pruneemac

Pruneemac

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

I shot one with a 30-06 and the bullet hit the plate, went up the from there and hit the hog in the spine!!! freaked me out I make a heart shot and get a spine instead!!!!

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

safe bet would be straight on in the brisket ,or move back and use a quartering broadside shot.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

shoot them in the boiler room
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

Glad to see you're not using mechanical broadheads on hogs as they will be a 50/50% at best of going thru. Your best shots will definitely be quartering away or towards you and your typical broadside angle. I shot a hog straight thru the chest once from a kneeling position inside a hog tunnel (brush tunnels made by constant travel) at 8yds. I think I lost 10 years of life that day. Also, like mac said hit them in the boiler room. I shot one thru the head that was in a deep raveen below me at less than 15yds. Dropped him like he was hit by a sledge hammer. I used to shoot a Mathews Q2 "shorty" set at 65lbs with Muzzy 4 blade broadheads for hogs. Gotta love those chisel type, bone penetrading, tips!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

LOW,LOW,LOW!!!! On thee bigger pigs when hunting with a bow you should shoot a little on the low side. I was hunting in texas, It was my first pig hunt ever and I had a 300lb boar plus or minus crawl through a hole in the fence that I was set up on. It presented a perfect 20 yard broadside shot, at the time I was drawing 70lbs using a 3 blade wasp fixed (+1 for fixed blade pig hunting), I shot him for what I thought was a good kill shot(like on the many deer kills) but the arrow didn't pass through. He was one pissed off pig, he jumped around and was determined to find what or who smacked him( thak God for good camo and poor eyesight of pigs because there are no trees to climb in south texas) when he didn't see anything he took off down the dirt road never to be seen again. When I looked for a blood trail I only found the tail end of my arrow, 8" of my arrow was gone with cartilage in the hollow portion of the rest of my arrow and not a drop of blood to be found. Also when you bucher pigs be carefull nt to cut yourself on broadheads tha have broken off in the animal from a previous missed oportunity' the wound will scar over and you wont even know there's a blade inside.

#8 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

I AGREE WITH JAWBREAKER , THE VITALS ON A WILD PIG ARE FARTHER FORWARD AND LOWER THAN FOR DEER. TRY TO FIND SOME ANATOMY PICTURES OF PIGS. TRY TEXAS BOARS WEBSITE. ALSO GOOD LUCK .

#9 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'm not worry about vitals but getting my broadhead past the rib cage only

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

It goes hand in hand, the armor on the larger boars is a bit higher than a vital shot. A good shot will be in the vitals but lower than the armor, rib bones on pigs are the same density as bones on other animals.

#11 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

Anybody got pics of there latest hunt on pigs.

#12 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

rifle or bow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users