#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

They arrived yesterday so set them up just to try them out...within 20 minutes, 3 crows flew in real low circling about 6 feet off the ground..,but did not land...a little while later,two crows came in,one landing on a corral fence and another in a tree about 40 yards away...it was mid-day,so next time I'll set them up in late afternoon when larger numbers return....I did not attempt a shot as I wanted to evaluate their behavior...The decoy on the corral fence rotates/moves in the wind...Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Looks good Rich. I hope they work out well.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

We have ga-zillion grape farmers and dairies around Taft. I do believe my Airgun will get a work out with all the crows in the area. I now have an MP-3 and sound system I bought for yote slaying,.....but now it will be converted to crow calling. Because of my limited ability to walk long distance is one of the main reasons I gave up on coyotes. Who wants to go out with a "load."??? I did not want to go out by myself because of the dangers of bobcats, snakes, heat, and the unknown when you are alone. I learned about those dangers here on this form.Crow hunting is a set and wait type of sport. Right down my alley. "I have more patients than most Dr.'s." CH....I am VERY interested in how your decoys work. Can you give a link where you got them?

#4 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

I have a dozen of those babys now for the last detail you need to go to mcdonalds and grab a large fries and lay them around the ripped bag and your dec's .Or you can step it up and toss a half a digornio pizza out there and it's on . Good luck

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Mr. Del, if you haven't been to Crow Busters you need to go. http://www.crowbusters.com/
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

I did have this. What a great spot to read about the art of hunting, calling crows. They even have recipes. That will take a very hungery fellow. As long as I have money..... I will pass on the crow eating, thank you. Braz.... do you know of anyone that has a crow call for sale??? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yep, me. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Actually, I don't have any on hand at the moment, as I just sold my last two about a week ago. I'll be heading for Las Vegas for the NASCAR race on Tuesday, returnnig the following Tuesday. I would be more than happy to make one up from any of the woods that I have on hand, or just about any wood you want one from. Clampdaddy seems to like the ones I have made for him.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 WylieCoyote

WylieCoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

What other decoys would work on crows?

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

Knot, you hit the nail on the head, the fast food bag is by far the best decoy for crows(besides another dead crow). The food probably works also but I'm not sure if you can bait crows.

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

CH....I am VERY interested in how your decoys work. Can you give a link where you got them?

I bought the Carry lite and one Greenhead...http://www.cabelas.c...s...x=23&Go.y=8Guys..pop corn works great...just use popped and toss on the ground....I'll be out hunting crows Mon/Tues and post results...

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

This morning I put two of the crow decoys up by my bird feeder...one on the ground..one on fence that moves in a breeze....several crows have buzzed by..a couple almost landed....later I'll put some crow bait out and see what happens...please excuse vid...I was shooting into morning sun from my kitchen window..rifle locked & loaded..lol...Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Here in NY we can bait for just about every varmint . Nice spread crazy horse

#13 WylieCoyote

WylieCoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

Here in NY we can bait for just about every varmint . Nice spread crazy horse

Is baiting for crows legal in California?

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

Is baiting for crows legal in California?

The REGS do not mention it....they do say you can't shoot them from an aircraft....LOL....

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

Rich, you may want to contact the Federal Wildlife people to be sure of the baiting issue. The reason I say this is that crows are covered by the Feds as a migratory bird species. And therefore may be covered by this restriction for migratory birds.

By the aid of baiting on or over any baited areas where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited. A baited area is considered to be baited for 10 days after complete removal of any bait. Baiting includes placing, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could serve as a lure or attractant for migratory game birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Agriculture areas must be prepared in accordance with official recommendations to be legally hunted. It is a separate offense to place or direct placement of bait on or adjacent to an area that causes, induces, or allows another to hunt by the aid of bait on or over a baited area. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that an area has not been baited and should verify its legality prior to hunting.

Time waits for no one--

#16 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Don't think I'll need bait anyway...been testing these for a few days now,and the decoys draw crows every time......I'm going to set them up at my friends ranch in a field out about 30-35 yards out on Wednsday...got a good hide to shoot from...they roost in his area...at my home,they just fly over on their route and buzz the decoys making racket..,but don't land close enough...

#17 Jerry

Jerry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

Nice decoys! This may be a dumb question, but could you use an Owl for a decoy? An owl in the area around here tends to draw in every kind of angry bird imaginable. They sqwack and carry on, and crows usually try to attack the thing. They fill the trees and their sound is usually a dead giveaway to their location.Has anybody else seen similar?
Keeping Illinois varmints in check as best I can!

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

You need one or two of these decoys and you will really have the crows attacking you.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users