16 replies to this topic

#1 assasin

assasin

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

so i use apple,oak and pecan wood but i was wondering has anyone used old wine or wiskey barrels and how did it turn out?

#2 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

NOPE. The only smoding I do is Salmon. I use alder.SteveOccasionally a cigar.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

I've tried smoking salmon but it won't stay lit. :blink:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

buzzrd feedr,You'er not rolling it right.PS Like a former president of ours. Don't inhale

#5 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

so i use apple,oak and pecan wood but i was wondering has anyone used old wine or wiskey barrels and how did it turn out?

I have never used barrel wood befoe but have soaked wood chips in wine before and it turned out great. I would not be afraid to give it a tryRobert
Rocklin,Ca

#6 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

I've tried smoking salmon but it won't stay lit. :lol:

Whenever I smoke salmon I always get the munchies. . . :)
Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die. . .

#7 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

Smoking is the only way I can eat salmon or trout. Those two fish are just nasty. Its like eating carp. I can't believe what people pay for this kind of fish. :lol:
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#8 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Smoking is the only way I can eat salmon or trout. Those two fish are just nasty. Its like eating carp. I can't believe what people pay for this kind of fish. :lol:

You've obviously never eaten Rocky Mountain Sushi my friend. You haven't lived until you've prepared sashimi in the way back with wild trout you just caught.
Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die. . .

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

And whats wrong with carp :) thier good pets :lol:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:24 AM

I've said it before, and I will say it again. If you know how to prepare carp it is good eating. As far as trout and salmon being nasty ... what fish DO you like?

#11 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

Bass, walleye, catfish, panfish. People out here sh-t themselves when they see you put a 2lb bass on a stringer. I could understand if it was a big breeder but just wait until all they are catching is 1-2lb fish then they'll realize they should have culled the little bastards.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#12 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

I'm not a big Salmon and Trout fan my self. But I do love a good eating Striper uuummmmm good.

#13 Varmintsolutions

Varmintsolutions

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

I heard of a way thats been around for years to fix carp. It requires cedar planks, you clean the carp and remove as many bones as you can, then strech the filet over the cedar plank and nail it down with tacks. Put salt and lots of red pepper on the meat. Throw it out in the hot sunshine for a day to "cure" it, then bring it in, remove the fish, throw away the carp, and eat the plank!Good stuff maynard...Jack

#14 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

To smoke fish you filet with the skin on. Then in a pot mix about a 1/2 lb of sugar and 1/2 lb of non-iodized salt. Mix in a few quarts of water and try and get all the solids in solution. Then put your fish in and soak overnight (at least). The next day take it out and put it on a rack to dry. You just want the outside not to be wet. Then burn your coals down and take soaked alder chips and put them on the hot coals. Let it smoke a couple of hours. You are not looking for heat but rather let the smoke do the cooking. You may need to light more coals and put those in. On top more soaked chips. I will let 5-8 lbs of fish smoke for about six hours, low and slow.When its done it will be moist and tasty!!! I do this with salmon, tuna, albie, or halibut. WSB is particularly good this way.

#15 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

You guys should post pics of your smoked meats.

#16 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I gave up SMOKING FISH 20 years ago_ just couldn't keep those fish lit? :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#17 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

You guys should post pics of your smoked meats.

:smiley-funny-post-sign: :roflmao3[1]: not gonna touch that one...LOL
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users