5 replies to this topic

#1 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Time to play with overall bullet length. I've been seating the .204 to manufacturers suggested length. 2.25 in. I understand each barrel has its own likes and dislikes. I have gently seated a bullet in the lands and measured from the muzzle to the tip of the bullet using a cleaning rod. I then measured the overall length of the bullet and subtracted the factory specs. There is .125 difference between factory specs and putting the bullet on the lands. How close to the lands is close. I'm sure im missing something here. ShooterJohn can you help me out.Any and all suggestions and opinions are welcome.Thanks,Steve

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

First and most important you have to find the most accurate load before you attempt moving the bullet. Then and I think most important is to remember you have to have at least the diameter of the bullet you're using seated in the case at all times and no less than that. I honestly have found that for factory barrels sticking with factory or bullet manufacturers recommended length is best. But you can move them and give it a try.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thanks John. That keeps it simple. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principal.Good info. to have on the depth and diameter.Thanks,Steve

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, it just depends sometimes... Accuracy does seem best when the bullet is either far away such as a factory round, or up close to the lands, say approx 0.002" or so... I've done well doing both, but overall I do believe my very best groups come from the bullet being closest to the lands, & is my favorite method. HOWEVER, if you do load them longer do not forget to check if the loaded rounds will fit in the magazine and cycle/feed properly. It sounds funny, but I sure have made that mistake more than once and have to go back and re-adjust the dies to seat them deeper. Happy ShootingFrank

#5 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

I had thought about the overall length. At the bench I have been in the habit of loading one round at a time and not closing the bolt until I have a target. .002? I have rcbs compitition seating die and a good caliper. I have to admit I have to use a hand lens to get the finer readings. I chould break doen and buy one that has a dial.still pondering the seating.Steve

#6 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hog I have SBC Yahoo. I type in "Bullet seating depth" and then click on the first option Bulls eye! All kinds of good info plus some heated debates. I seat all my bolt actions to just lightly touch the lands and I mean lightly. Even my Factory BBL Mod 70 in 270WSM (and they still fit into magazine with no problem) A bullet comparitor is a must (Measures Bullet ogive) its different from brand to brand and even style. In that link they give a bunch of important details from diffrent shooters. Oh and read in the new Sierra reloading manual on page 160 they have some basic great info.Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users