• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

My hunting partner has been trying to find some Hornady .223 55gr moly coated Vmax rounds. We've called everyone, Midway, Cheaperthandirt.com, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc....no one has it in stock and no one except Cabela's will do backorders. Seems like everyone is in a panic for ammo. Do any of you know where we might find this ammo?
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

http://www.ableammo....oducts_id=75720
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks tawnoper! Called them this morning but they don't have the Hornady V-max 55gr in moly. Thanks anyway!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#4 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

did you try midsouthshooterssupply.com?how about brownells.comor lockstock.com
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

no kidding I was at wallmart in turlock and I bought the last box of 40 s&w they were all out of all pistol ammo other than 22lr and some 25 auto that was it! I never seen anything like that before. Osama gets the award for selling the the most guns and ammo being president I think the NRA should give him an award. I can't even go to my local gun shop it's full of one timers buying handguns they ran out of safety cards. :1106: then regulars like me get it in the @zz :roflmao3[1]: because the shop has so much business they don't care about us anymore can't wait tell this all ends.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

can't wait tell this all ends.

You mean when they come to take all of our guns away? :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

Have you tried Natchez or ammoman.com? I don't know if they have what you need but it's worth a shot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

You guys better start reloading. I'm dragging out my bullet casting equipment to start using some of the ton of lead I have. I'd rather make it into something I can shoot out of a handgun or rifle than fishing weights. Maybe it's time to buy a Hawken Rifle and start casting up some .50 or .54 cal offerings for it. At least I can make my own black powder.

Time waits for no one--

#9 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I know I need to begin to reload, but where does one start? It seems like there are so many different options it's not clear to me the best place to begin. Do you guys have any suggestions for a beginner? And how do you make your own black powder?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

I know I need to begin to reload, but where does one start? It seems like there are so many different options it's not clear to me the best place to begin. Do you guys have any suggestions for a beginner?

Run away NOW. :carnage: Seriously, once you start you will find TONS of stuff you never even heard of that you NEED now. :)If I had it to all over again, I would find someone local to you with either a Dillon 550 or 650 and get them to show you the ropes. Then save your pennies, drink the blue Kool-aid and get yourself a Dillon. :drool: They really are THAT good.Most will tell you to start out slow (probably great advise) and that's what I did, but I ended up spending a lot of time and $$ trying to get to what I wanted (which turned out to be a Dillon).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

I just bought 1,000 Nosler ballistic tips for my .223 from Midway yesterday. Although they were out of a lot of stuff, they had exactly what I wanted. They were even on sale!

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

Usually the best way to start reloading is to purchase a starter kit from one of the better known reloading companies. These give you all of the basics to start reloading. Then as time goes on you can add to your equipment as need and as your experience increases.You can learn to make black powder on the Internet. We made fireworks as kids so that's how I got started. It isn't something I recommend attempting at the dining room table though. :carnage:

Time waits for no one--

#13 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

try gunsfishing.com they have most of anything.we have found stuff there the other guys didnt
life member of NRA,RMEF,SCI and WU REPUBLICAN party

#14 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

then end is near what did he say on we are soliders "men prepare to defend yourselves", yikes
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#15 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

I've been stocking up and loading up everything I've got. I went to the Valejo gun show today. There were a few good ammo deals left but nothing great. I didn't pick up two boxes of 30-30 hornady leverevolution for $17ea. Also nabbed 500 200gr lead bullets for my 44special loads. I didn't see Clampdaddy's 03' source but did see a LOT of nice WWII rifles and a couple nice M-14's.I'm still using a single stage press but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to move to a Dillon. Just can't afford it so I'll keep taking my time.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#16 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

It's not just ammo but handguns also. I went looking to buy something in a 45ACP or 40 S&W. Went to sportsman's warehouse. They had one S&W in 45ACP. Just one. They had three 1911 clones that were around $1000 each. I left and went to another gun shop. One Glock and one S&W in 40 S&W almost identicle to the one at Sportsmans. Drive an hour away to a small gunshop only locals know about. There they had about five. Picked up a 1911 clone from Rock Island Armory. Paid a bit too much for it but was tired of not finding anything anywhere and concerned about all the cons this state is going to be letting out into our communities soon.

#17 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for all the help and comments fellows. I've called just about everyone and no one has them. I put in a call to Hornady on Friday and they said they are making it as fast as they can but the .223 in all grains, seems to be the most sought after round. They say supplies should be picking up and they are shipping backorders to their distributors. So the wait keeps going! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

Graf & Son has them in stock.http://www.grafs.com/product/211264But I would get the non moly bullets if it was me.

Time waits for no one--

#19 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

Ya, seems like ammo in general is hard to get ahold of. Went to WallyWorld and I bought the last box of 9mm luger and 243. Guy said they havent had anything in stock and if they do get shipments they are small and gone fast. Seems like all they had was shotgun ammo, so I figured I might as well buy a 100rnds of that. :)

#20 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

what better way to keep us from taking our country back! anyone seen my slingshot??
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#21 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Planning: <_< Posted ImagePosted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#22 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Fjold, you could get real rich real quick by selling all that you have to those who don't have any. Of course you would have to sell it at a much higher price that you paid. You and SJ could start your own shop. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#23 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

my wife just said i wouldnt post that, you may get a knock at the door? the pics of all those bullets and ammo. cool stock pile though.

#24 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I've got ammo stashed in three locations. I've been collecting this stuff for the last 20+ years.Stash #1 12 gauge pump ammo and 7.62x54RPosted ImageStash #2 .17HMR 20 gr. and .17M2Posted ImageStash #3 Everything from .17HMR 17 gr., 22lr, 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 40S&W, 45ACP, 44 Mag, 454 Casull, .223, 7.62x39, 12 gauge auto, 12 gauge slugs, 30-30Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#25 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

I keep mine in ammo cans and aluminum brief cases. ;) Not sure how much I have, the boxes are heavy so I try not to move them. ;) I keep the stuff I am currently using/hunting with on top of my safe. The powder, primers and bullets are out in the garage.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

I'm not even going to post mine, but I have enough for when the zombies attack!

Time waits for no one--

#27 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Works for me. When the Zombies attack, we all meet at Johns. :lol: We need some sort of signal so you don't mistake us for Zombies. :D

#28 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Works for me. When the Zombies attack, we all meet at Johns. :D We need some sort of signal so you don't mistake us for Zombies. :D

I second that meet up at Johns to hold off the zombies.. :D : Maybe some type of moose call.... :lol:
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#29 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Waiting for the conversation to start up on what round is best for destroying the brain of the walking dead...

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

40gr Hornady V-MAX is a great melon buster.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users