• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

SPOT Satellite Messenger and Personal Tracker that is. Link to it.If you have one or know someone that does, let me know what you think of it's usefulness. Thanks bunches.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

I think there was a post about these once before. Spiritof76 had one and I remember him talking about it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

What are you wanting to use it for?I've got one.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

VarmintAir uses one there's a post on here about it.http://www.californi...d...st&p=108275

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

What are you wanting to use it for?I've got one.

For location and emergency communications when out prowling alone or with some of the decrepit older hunting partners that I've hunted with during the last 20+ years. Dang Cell phones never seem to work where I'm at. :WTF_1:

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

I think i have seen these at Costco for around $150. I too have been thinking of getting one.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#7 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Costco does have them. I also read on the info that there is an annual fee as well.I just bought me a Bushnell Backtrack just for those times when the last calling stand is getting a bit dark, I can hunt right to when I can't see and not have to worry about loacating the vehicle without any hesitation. They are about $50.00. fast and accurate.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

i use buzzards. they circle and the wife can celebrate!!

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

i use buzzards. they circle and the wife can celebrate!!

:smiley-funny-post-sign: .... My wife actually bought me mine. They're great in cases of emergencies where a cell phone won't work. Even if you hunt with someone else, I wouldn't want my buddy trying to carry my fat butt out of the area. I would only use it as a last resort though because has anyone priced what a rescue costs nowadays? Alot of health insurance companies frown from paying these fees (even though it's not their money). That's the reason I also carry my Garmin eTrex handheld GPS. I always mark the vehicle (especially when night hunting) so I can find it without any hassles. Last year, I sprained my ankle pretty badly and per my GPS, I was 1.2 miles from my Jeep. I almost used SPOT but then the cost of rescue hit me in the face and I decided to make a crutch and hobble back to the vehicle, which took almost 5 hours! The SPOT has a $100 basic service plan (which is all you need) per year. Good system that should prove valuable since I ain't gettin' any younger!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#10 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

My wife got me one for Christmas and I use it all the time. I took it as a license to go hunting by myself any time I want!It's cheap insurance for us older guys who still think we are 21 but the body doesn't respond that way anymore.I got mine at Cabela's. They have it on sale on occasion for around $100 and it comes with a $50 off certificate for the first year's monitoring service. The $100.000 emergency rescue insurance policy is about a $10 add on. Pretty cheap, if you're prone to get into the same kind of trouble I can.Here's a link to the Spot website. SpotTruckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Anyone else using one of these yet? Robin always worries when I go out hunting by myself, so she gave me an early present this morning. I still need to activate it, but looking for reviews on this piece of equipment. Anyone?
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, I have one they work as advertised. About $150 per year to keep them activated. The OK button sends email to family & friends with your location and your canned I'm OK message. Help sends message to family or friends when you're not in immediate danger but need assistance with flat tire, out of gas or such. 911 button sends message to service center that relays your 911 request to the nearest 911 agency and they send help. If you accidentally send an unnecessary 911 then you get to pay if you don't get it canceled in time.

#13 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

:smiley-outta-here: .... My wife actually bought me mine. They're great in cases of emergencies where a cell phone won't work. Even if you hunt with someone else, I wouldn't want my buddy trying to carry my fat butt out of the area. I would only use it as a last resort though because has anyone priced what a rescue costs nowadays? Alot of health insurance companies frown from paying these fees (even though it's not their money). That's the reason I also carry my Garmin eTrex handheld GPS. I always mark the vehicle (especially when night hunting) so I can find it without any hassles. Last year, I sprained my ankle pretty badly and per my GPS, I was 1.2 miles from my Jeep. I almost used SPOT but then the cost of rescue hit me in the face and I decided to make a crutch and hobble back to the vehicle, which took almost 5 hours! The SPOT has a $100 basic service plan (which is all you need) per year. Good system that should prove valuable since I ain't gettin' any younger!

The wife bought one for me too. I believe SPOT also offers insurance that will cover costs of rescue/evacuation/ or heaven forbid, recovery.

#14 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

I got one of the small SPOT transceivers before the last deer season. I tested it on a 4-day trip by sending the "check in" message every day to my wife. She got them all. I take it everytime I'm hiking or hunting.Cheap insurance in case you really need help immediately. It may cost you for the rescue but probably not as much as a funeral costs.
___________NRA Member

#15 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Motorcycling, Camping

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

I've seen them at the local motorcycle supply store, but never spent the time to check out all the features until now.I'm definitely going to pick one up. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

#16 Realbadlarry

Realbadlarry

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

Good communication with your wife can make for a good solo trip. You can give them a web page to track your every move...so if you stop moving for more than a a couple minutes with no check in, they can be on it...or at least find your body quicker.

#17 Don Peymus

Don Peymus

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hi Shooter,I spend a lot of time in wilderness areas, out of range of cell phones and so on - I would say that the value of a SPOT is dependent on what you are thinking about using it for. If you are interested in just sending updates and so on to your friends, I think it fits the bill. If you are purchasing it for the 911 feature, I would say stay away. There's a reason an ACR locator costs $500 and a SPOT costs $99... if you're worried about being able to get help in the wilderness, the money would be better put towards either a real ACR beacon or, for less scary situations, a satellite telephone.I carry an ACR and a Ham radio when I'm out of cell phone range. Those are the only two systems I would trust my life to - the ACR for a "real" emergency and the Ham radio for less scary situations. Also, satellite phones are very inexpensive these days, so if you have to pay $100 a year for the SPOT, on top of the $99 to buy it, it might make more sense to get a satellite phone and pick up $50-100 worth of minutes every year.Anyway, just my two cents.

#18 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm SPOT on ....I got the SPOT 2 version.. a little lighter, etc. I had to opt for a safety device rather than buying some more hardware...darn it.I am impressed. However, I will not be taking any additional chances just because I now have a way of call the Mounties for a helping hand. Like Fakawee, I go places that cell phones are worthless for emergency assistance.I found SPOT to be a neat technology tool for prospecting new sites, ranches and farms that are infested with diggers.I do a fair amount of wondering...just looking for that perfect pasture/open field this time of year. Working this early will get me the time it takes to establish the right, low key, first contact with a rancher/farmer.Now I'm SPOT on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users