29 replies to this topic

#1 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Pulled the trigger and ordered up a new rifle. I got a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 inbound to my local FFL. Posted ImageGot it for $490 shipped! Not bad! I'll scope it up and dress it in camo. Im diggin this whole varmint/predator hunting thing. Camopaint and BgBamBoo got me all pumped up about it. Just wish i could have gotten in it sooner. Thanks guys. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

Congrats, can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#4 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

OK 5150, where did you get it for that price? Let the cat out of the bag.......
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Congrats on your purchase of a fine rifle and caliber... It will serve you well indeed! :smiley-funny-post-sign: Frank

#6 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Not bad, looks like you've done your home work. Congrats.

#7 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks guys. i have done my homework and although there where so many rifles to chooese from, Tikka gave me the best result, pound for pound, for the best price. I also have found that this rifle fluctuates in price 100-150 dollars. WTF! The lowest price I found was from... *** if you'd like to know, please send $25 to my paypal for the answer***JK :smiley-funny-post-sign: Ok,ok ok... I found Impact Guns and Ozark Guns to have the best prices.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

Last I heard Ozark Guns was closed because the owner Bob Kotula was called back to service. I wonder if someone else is running it. Because that's not like Bob. He's a great guy I've dealt with many times in fact he was stationed in my town while in the Air Force. I'll check and see if he's back if not I'll let him know what happened.

Time waits for no one--

#9 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Last I heard Ozark Guns was closed because the owner Bob Kotula was called back to service. I wonder if someone else is running it. Because that's not like Bob. He's a great guy I've dealt with many times in fact he was stationed in my town while in the Air Force. I'll check and see if he's back if not I'll let him know what happened.

No, I dont think it was John. It was a female... Amy. Maybe his wife/daughter. IDK, maybe I caught her on a bad day. Either way, she just made me feel like I was really imposing.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

That makes more sense. I can't imagine running that place without him there. Thanks for clarifying.

Time waits for no one--

#11 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

I have a Tikka T3 lite in .243 and love it. I think you will as well.I got mine from budsgunshop.com for I think 485 shipped.Get that thing painted and dialed in over the spring and summer and you'll be nice and ready for coyote season to start. That's my plan.... new scope, paint job, etc.....

#12 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

Nice. I checked Buds and it was going for 519 delivered. Not a bad price, but, like so many other places I looked, they were outta stock.What scope you puttin on it?

#13 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Pulled the trigger and ordered up a new rifle. I got a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 inbound to my local FFL. Posted ImageGot it for $490 shipped! Not bad! I'll scope it up and dress it in camo. Im diggin this whole varmint/predator hunting thing. Camopaint and BgBamBoo got me all pumped up about it. Just wish i could have gotten in it sooner. Thanks guys. :doh[1]:

What do you think of the trigger and is it adjustable? I'm interested in a .223, .243 and a 7mm-08. It's a choice between Tikka and Savage. Ed

#14 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Trigger is adjustable *2-4lb*I havent felt a 223 yet (none in stock locally)but i have felt one in 243 and 30-06... feels light and crispy! Very nice.

#15 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

Congrats, those are really nice rifles, good price too!

#16 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

You will love it. I love mine.

#17 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Nice. I checked Buds and it was going for 519 delivered. Not a bad price, but, like so many other places I looked, they were outta stock.What scope you puttin on it?

Planning on a Leupold VXII 3-9X. I checked one out at a local shop and it is very bright and clear. Plus it's lightweight, only around 12 oz I think.I'm Bud's prices have gone up on most everything, just like most places. As you said, I think the Tikkas are the best deal going.... I used to be a big Savage fan, but I feel like the Tikkas are nicer for about the same price.

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Congrats! I have a T3 Lite in 22-250 and it is a great rifle. The triggers are great and the bores are so smooth it only takes a couple patches to give it a good cleaning.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

519 delivered than you have to pay a transfer fee what is the going rate now a days. Tikkas are nice rifles I need one in a 223.

#20 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Pulled the trigger and ordered up a new rifle. I got a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 inbound to my local FFL. Posted ImageGot it for $490 shipped! Not bad! I'll scope it up and dress it in camo. Im diggin this whole varmint/predator hunting thing. Camopaint and BgBamBoo got me all pumped up about it. Just wish i could have gotten in it sooner. Thanks guys. :signs1180lq:

So which local FFL did you use?

#21 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

can't go wrong with a 223.

#22 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

519 delivered than you have to pay a transfer fee what is the going rate now a days. Tikkas are nice rifles I need one in a 223.

It was 519 at Buds. I got it from Impact Guns for 493 shipped. My FFL charges me 50 bux including DROS.

#23 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

So which local FFL did you use?

Hunters Creek

#24 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

If you sign up at Budsgunshop (no obligation to buy) you get slightly better pricing. They will e-mail you with your price and it's lower that the price they have posted. With no shipping costs and no sales tax, even with the Calif. hostage fee, the gun is cheaper than you can buy it locally. Midwest hunters supply is another outfit online with good prices.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#25 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Well, its been a little while, but forgot to update you guys on how it came out. Heres the finish product. Ended up cancelling the T3 Lite and got the T3 Varmint.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEGW picatinny mountSeekins Precision ringsBushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50Harris bi-pod notched legs and swivelNow I just need October to come around so I can shoot a coyote with it! lol

#26 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

Curious what the total weight is on that rig - looks heavy with that huge varmint barrel on it...I'm going through the same "what gun should I get" decision, but I tend to put in 4-5 miles on foot during an average hunt - so heavy is NG.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

that will make a great squirrel gun. I like the scope with that small dot looks clear!

#28 BgBamBoo

BgBamBoo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

#29 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

How much velocity did you lose cutting down to 16.5" on your 243? I have the same gun - not chopped.

#30 BgBamBoo

BgBamBoo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users