#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Remember that cool seen in Private Ryan US sniper shooting German Sniper through the scope at what 400 yards? Shot by a what was back then a scoped Springfield O3-A3 ? Well" Myth Busters" dealt with that. Who has seen the clip? They first had a Modern Rem 700 PSS in 308 shooting 168 Sierra Match at less then 100 yards. They had a dummy with a scoped rifle pointed at shooter. He made a perfect shot through the scope and the scoped stopped the bullet ! Glass particles hit the dummy's face. Next 173gr ball ammo ( FMJ) out of a M-1 Garand 30-06 . Once again the scope stopped the bullet they cut open the scope and out falls remains of the bullet. Isn't that amazing how a scope can absorb a high power rifle bullet ? Next they use the same M-1 shooting AP ammo and that completely penatrated the scope. Another thing is a sniper in VietNam made a spectacular kill shooting a bullet through a scope. His comment was" I guess I was a little quicker on the trigger" So who do we believe? Was that sniper in Vietnam shooting AP ammo? So any how s the shot in the movie I guess was in reality not possible unless they were shooting AP.

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Mythbusters revisted this myth in a later episode and the shot is possible but not using modern scopes. Modern scopes have many more lenses and sections than the older scopes used in WWII and by the NVA and VC of Vietnam. They were able to replicate the equipment and the results of the famous sniper kill by Carlos Halfcock during the Vietnam war.

#3 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

isnt is heathcock not halfcocked?

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hathcock

#5 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

Didn't the Vietnamese call him "Long Trang" or close to that.. The book I read about him was pretty good, jsut cant remember the name

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

There were four books.One Shot One Kill, White Feather, Silent Warrior or Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

Carlos Hathcock, & I believe the vietnamese Lang Trang (however it's actually spelled) translated to White Feather.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Sorry for my mispelling. I was typing fast.The guy is a legend in the sniper world. I can't remember the reward for killing him but it was pretty big.

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Apparently, it was $30,000. http://en.wikipedia....Carlos_HathcockAmazing guy. RA

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

His son Carlos the 3rd, was also a very good Marine sniper and instructor at Camp Pendleton. It runs in their genes.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

His son Carlos the 3rd, was also a very good Marine sniper and instructor at Camp Pendleton. It runs in their genes.

Wasnt there a similar through the scope kill in the movie shooter?

#12 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

Carlos Hathcock also Pioneered using the .50 cal machine gun as a sniper platform in Vietnam. That SOB was one determined shooter! 93 confirmed kills in one year in country! 175 grain Sierra match ammo was their round of choice.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#13 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.c...feature=relatedHere's a link to three videos of interviews with Carlos.Ed

#14 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

It was also demonstrated in the movie Sniper, which is one of my all time favs. I also have read the book about Carlos Hathcock called Marine Sniper, good stuff. This guy literally pioneered the whole thing with sniper schools and training to be a sniper. He also has a kill over 2500 yards, what is that...like a mile an a half?Anyways its a great book with lots of good stories and factual events in his life. Being dropped off by a heli well inside enemy lines to make a kill of a high ranking officer and more then likely not make it out (suicide mission) and still taking the mission...pure hero in my mind.Robbie
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#15 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

93 confirmed kills and well over 150 unconfirmed.The kill at 2300 yards was an nva officer bending over to drink from a stream at the spot carlos used to shoot at to sight in the 50.When he was using it watching the perimeter.

#16 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

I was under the impression GySgt Hathcock's 2347 yards (2,146 meters) kill was on a 12 year old boy on a bike running guns and ammo to the VC with a m2 .50cal. He deliberately hit the Bike the kid was on but rather then run for cover the kid started shooting at him and GySgt. Hathcock hit the kid.The first shot was mercy the second was self defense.His longest recorded sniper kill on record was 2,500 yards (2,250 meters) on a the same NVA officer taking a drink was the record up to the end of the 20th century and wasn't broken until 2002. I have seen this same kill listed as the 2347 yards (2,146 meters) in both books and official stats. I'm not sure witch one is actually the right one guess it depends on who you ask or what book you read. I think some of the confusion is that the 2500 yard shot is an estimation with +/- up to 5 yards.other notable snipersSimo "White Death" Hayha Finland wwII sniper has the worlds record 705 (also listed as 505 and 543 substantiated) confirmed kills (over 700 unconfirmed)Mikhail Ilyich Surkov top USSR sniper WWII (credited with over 700 kills however he is not Acknowledged as #1 Simo hayha of finland is probably due to substantiation of the kills )Ludmilla Pavlichenko USSR ranks as the best woman sniper with 309+ Kills during wwIICharles "Chuck" Mawhinney USMC Sniper Vietnam 103 confirmed kills and 216 probable kills. (US Marine record)SSgt Adelbert Waldron US Army Sniper Vietnam 109 Confirmed Kills (Still holds the Highest Confirmed Kill for a US Army and US military Sniper)Cpl. Rob Furlong a canadian sniper broke Carlos Hathcock's distance record in 2002 with a 2,657 yard (2,430 Meters) kill on an al-Qaeda Fighter in Afghanistan. (note this shot is also credited to M.Cpl. Graham Ragsdale Who was part of this sniper team however Furlong fired the shot M.Cpl. Arron Perry was mistakenly credited with this kill he was also part of this 5 man sniper detachment)
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#17 spudgun

spudgun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

Nope, sorry...that's just not correct. "Sonny" as Carlos the 3rd was called, was a crew chief and mechanic for CH-53 helicopters in the USMC. He WAS, however, an outstanding shooter himself. Sonny shot with the USMC Shooting Team for years, was a Distinguished Marksman, and coached many championship rifle teams. He is a retired Gunnery Sergeant and lives in VA, last I heard...

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Another thing is a sniper in VietNam made a spectacular kill shooting a bullet through a scope. His comment was" I guess I was a little quicker on the trigger" So who do we believe? Was that sniper in Vietnam shooting AP ammo?That sniper was Marine Corps Sniper Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N Hathcock who also was one of the founders of the Marine Corps Sniper Program started at MCB Quantico, VA along with Capt. Land I believe in 67-69ish. He was also the winner of the Wimbledon Cup using the 300 winchester magnum. However during his missions as a sniper in vietnam he used the M70 in 30-06 with 168 sierra boat tail's while his spotter carried the ol M14 slightly modified. Carlos Hathcock also used the m2 .50 machine gun with a unertl scope mounted on it and shot a bike tire at 2500 yards. And carlos hathcock did not make up stories. Just read his books and interviews. He is a big part of Marine Corps history and American history. Heck you can watch his interviews on youtube.com if you want to. He is accredited with 93 confirmed kills and over 250 unconfirmed. Although every sniper during vietnam had more unconfirmed than confirmed. I've read over 20 books on snipers in vietnam. Sorry I did tons of research in high school because I was planning on joining the marine corps to be a sniper. However at last minute the now EX wife didnt want me to go the indoc :wacko:. But in high school I had an obsession with snipers and wanted to learn everything about them particularly in vietnam. My favorite books were about Carlos hathcock I've read them all, watched most of his interviews and read so many aritcles and what not about this marine sniper. He was truly the best.There is also ed kugler, chuck mawhinney, j.t. ward and several others that are more known than some other snipers.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#19 Mookie

Mookie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

There was a show on the history channel about this subject. They tested the theory using similar equipment and it blew right through the scope and dummies head.

#20 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Yep there was one on last night as well. I DVR'ed it. :harhar1[1]: It's completely possible. But not so much with newer scopes that have 4-8 different lenses inside them. But with older style mosin nagat scopes that the NVA/VC used during the vietnam war it is completely possible.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#21 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Dear Mom: A Snipers Vietnam is a good read.

#22 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Agreed by J.T. Ward. Awesome book. I also like marine sniper/shadow warriors
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#23 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

since the topic is on snipers this one i was stuck with a WOW on my face. May God Bless our Troops out there.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#24 Jerry

Jerry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Here is the newest record, shot by a British sniper at 2706.6 yards in Afghan with a .338 Lapua Magnum:http://bulletin.accu...-338-lapua-mag/That is one impressive shot.
Keeping Illinois varmints in check as best I can!

#25 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

from what i remember reading was that the sniper shot two guys not just one. and it is impressing.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users