23 replies to this topic

#1 sertshark

sertshark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

I have a ramp that is 50x69". It is a tri-fold, but the problem is the incline/ decline is a little steeper than what I would like. I often go out by myself, and I can't always find a raised area to level the ramp out a little. It usually loads and unloads without a problem, but it just makes me nervous everytime. If I could just level it out a little, then it would be a lot better. I have seen 80x46" ramps that are trifold, and I have seen the folding arched ones that are 89" long. The problem with the arched are the fact that they are:1) arched which looks like it may make it steeper, and 2) they only fold in half which means it won't fit in the bed of the truck without hanging out. Plus I wonder if it will even help much. Getting a trailer is out of the question right now.I am just wondering if any of you have used ATV ramps on a 4X4, and if you like the ramp, what ramp you have (and measurements).

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,183 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

I've tried all sorts of different ramps for loading things into my pickup. It's a 4X4 pickup so a bit higher than normal and I haven't found anything that I feel totally comfortable on. The last humped or arched version I tried came from Costco. I tried loading my Zero-Turn Gravely mower and the hydraulic drive of the wheels spit one ramp out like a rocket and I thought I was a goner. It actually tore the safety strap from the bumper. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

I've been researching methods for when (which is now an if) I get my quad...it seems as though the ramps (other than your basic short $100 ramps) are almost as costly as a used trailer...Also, the longer the ramp, the taller it is when folded, and as you noted, longer as well. When I'll have my ATV out, it will be with a lot of other gear, and huge ramps are not going to take up what small amount of space I'll have leftover in my truck bed.Also, I have found that Harbor Freight sells a folding utility trailer that would be perfect for a quad. It's only like $330 ($300 on sale) and is plenty sufficient with a 1200 lb capacity. It also can be folded up and stacked in the garage much like a ping pong table.My problem is I have a lifted Tacoma with about 5 inches of total lift, so the incline is pretty steep...ramps need to be super long or I need a super long drop hitch for a trailer.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

Real trucks have 8 foot beds :hellohello9il:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,183 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Yea my truck has an 8 foot bed 3 and 1/2 feet off of the ground! :hellohello9il:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

I've got a little tilt bed trailer that is really easy to load and unload. Pull two front pins on trailer and a few tiedowns, fire it up and back it off, as it hits the tilt pivot it drops and away you go. When you load, drive it on to the stops and it tilts back up then pins and tiedowns and you're done. Tried the pickup deal and found this to be the best and fastest. I just leave it on the trailer all the time ready to go.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I had these same issues when I had my quad and 4x4 truck. I think the loading unloading is just something you get used to (or buy longer ramps). I would TRY to find a dip out where I parked to help level the ramp a bit. Also ALWAYS be sure to properly attach and secure a HEAVY DUTY strap from the ramp to the truck. :hellohello9il: The first time I backed out down the ramp I thought I was gonna flip the thing. :censored[1]: After that I learned to lean forward and GO SLOW. Felt much better after that. One other thing you could try is bring along some 2x12's to put under the ramp and flatten it a bit. You could even cut multiple pieces and make steps out of them (Best to screw them together) then set the end of the ramp on the top of those.The trailering is NICE, but sometimes, you just don't want to mess with a trailer OR have the $$ for one.Also, those Harbor Freight trailers are not very good. The wheels/tires are only rated for like 55mph or something like that. If you are going to go the trailer route you may as well spend a bit more and get one from Home Depot or Lowes for like $500. They are rated for more and MUCH better built.Good luck, I WISH I still had a quad or even better a sidebyside.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Guys, guys, guys-if you must load your ATV into your 4x4 and you're doing it by yourself, get an electric winch and mount it in the bed of your truck. Use this to pull your ATV into your truck without being on it for safety's sake. Mount a boat roller (metal or rubber)on dowel pins (for quick take downs) to the rear of the bed to keep the cable from initially dragging on your tailgate. I used to own a Dodge Ram Powerwagon 4x4 that sat on an 8 inch lift with 37" tires. I'd drive the ATV up the ramps till the rear tires touched the bottom of the ramps so it's lined up, then get off the ATV and hook up the cable to the frame of the ATV and use the winch to pull it into the truck. By the way, the winch came in handy when pulling large mammals into the bed also. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Nice idea Fakawee. I did something similiar with my Weekend Warrior Toy hauler I had. I mounted a winch to my Jet-Ski trailer and pulled the whole trailer and Jet-ski into the toy hauler. :hellohello9il:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#10 sertshark

sertshark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

I was actually just thinking about doing this! Except I was just going to use the winch on the ATV and figure out a way to hook it up to the bed of my truck somehow.

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

i like the ramps i can line up myself they are 2 sections. i havd the fold out one and didnt like it one bit. too narrow for my quad. this way i do all the aligning myself much niceer. no problems and a lot more safer. i even marked the tail gate where the ramps go to make it quick and easy robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#12 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I was actually just thinking about doing this! Except I was just going to use the winch on the ATV and figure out a way to hook it up to the bed of my truck somehow.

You can use that too! Some of the guys I know with the 4x4 ATV's use their winches to pull them into their trucks. The only thing I would suggest though is to make sure you have a very strong mounting point in your truck bed before hooking up your ATV. I mounted a 18x24" steel plate with quick disconnect pins welded to it, in the front section of the truck bed so I could remove the winch when done. I spliced in battery jumper cables to the winch that were long enough to reach the trucks battery while in the bed. In your case, you could go to Home Depot and buy a large eye bolt with washers and nut. Also buy a 24-48" long piece of angle iron (for distributing the weight load over a broad area) drill one hole for your eye bolt and holes for your mounting bolts. You can mount this thing up high on your front bed rail or mount it low in the bed. I would mount it on the other side of the front bed rail (between the bed and cab) for the strongest weight distribution. Now you have something to mount your winch hook to from your ATV and it would look pretty clean. Just my suggestions!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#13 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I am guilty of trying the cheap steel Harbor Freight ramps. They suck. When I'm hauling both of my ATV's I hook up to my car trailer and it's a piece of cake but it's not worth pulling it out just for one ATV. I also have a small 4'x4' trailer I pull behind my ATV for hauling leaves, branches, firewood, deer, etc. but am considering getting rid of it and investing in one of those $500 4'x6' trailers (with a ramp tailgate). That way I can load a single ATV in it, drive to wherever I'm going riding, then unload it and hook the trailer to the ATV. At the end of the day I'll hook the trailer back to the pickup, load the ATV into the trailer, and be done with it. I also like having the ATV(s) on a trailer because it makes washing them off at the local car wash after a muddy ride much easier.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#14 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

I use a couple 2x10 planks and the ramp kit (end pieces) from Orchard Supply. I cut the planks just long enough to fit in the bed of my pickup, underneath the ATV. My pickup isn't lifted, just a Z-71 with oversize tires.When I load, I backup into my driveway until the tailgate is at the lowest point. When I unload, I roll the bike down the ramps without mounting the bike. In the woods I either find a burm or deal with the steepness. My dad has a 3/4 ton dodge which is taller than my pickup. He uses the 2 folding ramps, and they still fit under the ATV for transport.

#15 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

You guys are doing it all wrong. Heres a video, I know its a 2 wheeler but Im sure with a little practice you could so the same thing on a quad...

#16 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

I don't know the measurments of my ramp. I picked it up for $50 years ago and it works great. It is a folding ramp and has hooks that keep it from sliding.

That don't look like a lifted 4x4 to me. :horse apples:

#17 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image We use ramps hubby built that are 8 ft long..Actually they are a little bit longer than 8 ft but they lay on the rack under the quads once they are loaded. He also built the racks that are on the truck and trailer. That white truck was hubbys first truck before the grey one...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#18 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

WE have one of those too! Arent they awesome little trailers? You just cant beat them for a quick trip for hunting...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#19 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

ah rich peoples toys lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#20 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

ROFLMAO ... Ya right... More like we'd be rich if we all didn't have these toys to pay for....

#21 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

ah rich peoples toys lol

Yea don't know anyone getting rich on Military pay.

#22 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Generals they are paid well

#23 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

well working on getting me another pickup then will work on a quad and trailer.

#24 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

I have a 4x4 truck with high rise camper shell. I mounted a eye bolt in the inside of bed in front. I took a piece of 1/2'' plate 8"x18" and tapped it for the 1/2 eye bolt. reached in between cab and bed and started eye bolt. used a large fender well washer and a jam nut on interior of bed. I do go by myself sometimes and with the winch on my Quad I load safely. I don,t know if this would help anybody with some of these heavy quads. I only have a Honda Recon, which only weighs a little over 400 pounds. Install a larger plate and eye bolt if needed. This has worked for me for the last 5 years. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users