#1 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Just a quick question. Since I plan on shooting moly coated bullets through my new 12flv should I break it in with them or use regular copper rounds and then switch over to the moly coats? I have read great things about the moly coated bullets.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

I don't want to rain on your parade but moly coated bullets can be more problematic than any benefit you would receive from them. First of all break the barrel in with normal bullets. Or it will take much longer to break in. The reason moly is quickly falling out of favor is it makes its own sort of fouling that can be very difficult to clean. The most important I think reason NOT to use moly is that it attracts moisture and can cause sever pitting. It may be fine for some competition shooting but for hunting and general shooting it's messy and can damage your gun. This is the short version, I'd do some additional reading on the subject. Good luck with the new gun. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

ShooterJohn, I disagree in respect to the Moly bullets. I recently switched to Moly mainly as an attempt to prolong my Barrel life. When shooting competition I used to clean every 20-30 rounds, now I clean at the end after firing 120+ rounds. Hunting has not been a problem and moisture is bad no matter what bullet you use. The main thing to remember is each bullet, Copper or Moly require different cleaning techniques. Their are arguments on either side with pros and cons for each type of bullet. I switched to Moly to save my barrel(22-250), going to make it last till October when I plan on re barreling it with a Krieger in 22-250AI with a fast twist for the 80gr VLD. New barrel will be stainless so I probably wont use the Moly. Also, it is my understanding that no National Record holder in any rifle discipline is using Moly.Question is: why has he chosen to shoot Moly in the first place? new to the gamegive us a clue.

#4 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

I agree with John. Don't use moly. Go to any of the top barrel makers and they will tell you the same thing. The problem as I underrstand it is the corosion from the moisture the moly attracts and traps, plus another chemical reaction that does some really strange things to bores. The book is out on moly I think
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

DITTO JOHN also... The only thing Moly coated bullets will do is foul your barrel quicker. They will NOT give any better accuracy OR extend your barrel life. I know, I've gone through 3, 22-250 barrels/rifles and the ONLY thing that will extend a 22-250 calibers life is is a stainless or chrome barrel and/or reduced loads. Which (reduced loads) is another topic that drives me bonkers on high velocity (hunting) rounds. LOLp.s. for the varmint / predator shooter, you will gain nothing on breaking in your barrel IMHO. Except shorter barrel life in a hot round. I have a binder full of excellent targets from various rifles and calibers that would be very hard to beat, especially consitently... break in or no break in. So why bother (break in) in other words? But hey, if that makes someone enjoy their hobby more, then that is cool / a different matter.Happy ShootingFrank

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:40 PM

Ditto Frank on barrel break in. I used to do it and it was a pain, besides it was no fun. I was talking to Jim Kelbly (Stolle Actions) one day about barrel break in and he convinced me to quit. It was the easiest thing that I've ever quit. Now I just clean the bore good berfore shooting, sight in, clean after sight in, then check zero and go blast squirrels. JM2C
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thanks gentleman. The reason that I was going to use the moly's was that I was told by a guy that has shot 2 barrels out of his 22-250 in less than 1,000 rounds that the moly's would help make the barrel last longer as was the case with his rifle when he switched to them. But he reloads and I don't so I guess I don't need to pay the extra money for them. Once again thanks for the advice.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

rr762, in regards to your custom barrel purchase.... I've had only 3 custom barrels over the years... Two Douglas Premium and 1 Krieger. While I have not read the guarantee's & what is offered within the last 2 years, Douglas was one of the very top ones to beat. In other words, some of the other T-O-P barrel makers did not have as good a guarantee, nor did their barrels come lapped from their shop... as does Douglas. So, in case you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading &/or calling as to why you should go with one over the other / what they offer/do or do not do, how much curvature/tolerances they allow etc. You may be glad you did.p.s. Both my Douglas barrels out perfomed my Krieger... And all 3 rifles had the same type of accuracy & stock work done... Could have just been me, but then again???All The BestFrank

#9 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

rr762, in regards to your custom barrel purchase.... I've had only 3 custom barrels over the years... Two Douglas Premium and 1 Krieger. While I have not read the guarantee's & what is offered within the last 2 years, Douglas was one of the very top ones to beat. In other words, some of the other T-O-P barrel makers did not have as good a guarantee, nor did their barrels come lapped from their shop... as does Douglas. So, in case you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading &/or calling as to why you should go with one over the other / what they offer/do or do not do, how much curvature/tolerances they allow etc. You may be glad you did.p.s. Both my Douglas barrels out perfomed my Krieger... And all 3 rifles had the same type of accuracy & stock work done... Could have just been me, but then again???All The BestFrank

Well it's not etched in stone yet and I agree, years ago when I started shooting competitively Douglas was the man. I have looked at many barrels and its down to a few, Douglas included. However, one of the shooters at our club has made the same Krieger barrel modification that I am considering and it(22-250) has shot as tight a group at 600 yards as his custom Borden 6.5-284, so their is some credibility in the Krieger barrel change.Thanks for the input, I sincerely appreciate it.Ralph

#10 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

I had a buddy that bought a new Kimber (22-250)and he had used the hornady moly's and it took him about 200 rounds and I don't know how much cleaning to be able to start getting groups out of his rifle. I shoot the winchester supreme ballistic silvertips and I haven't had a problem and they shoot well for me. I found some of the hornady moly coated for really cheap(I think they were missed marked) and I bought 140 rounds I haven't fired any of them yet. But heck for shooting a coyote as long as he hits the ground thats all I care about they are with in a 100 yards most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users