16 replies to this topic

#1 ab diver

ab diver

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

A guy at a local gun shop claims that game wardens have been asking to see recepts for handguns that people are carrying in the field to prove that they own them and that they are legal. Has anyone herd anything about this.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Never heard of it, but sounds like a bunch of BS. Handguns are kept track of very well in our state. Now long guns...that would make slightly more sense....but still BS if you ask me.And even if they did ask for a receipt...there's no law that says you have to have one so it wouldn't mean anything. If a warden tried to say something because I didn't have a receipt...I'd call the sheriff out myself.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

agree with Jeff . I was in a shop in Palmdale where a guy was repeating what happened to him . He was pulled over and had his brothers revolver with him because he went to the range that day . the officer ran it said " it was not his " and that he had to take it . the driver stated you take the gun you have to arrest me . they stood there for awhile . the officer gave him back the revolver and nothing came of it . I maybe TOTALLY wrong but you are allowed to lend /loan a firearm , unless it is an AW, for up to but not longer than 30 days . pistols in this state are Highly controlled . look at your dros next time you buy a pistol . the make , model , bbl legnth , calibur , finish are all listed . whereas your longarm , shotguns / rifles , are just your personal info . Andy

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

After all the hoops you have to go through to get a handgun. I'd tell him I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :two-cents:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

WTF??? Unless it is concealed or something it shouldn't be an issue should it? As long as it is a legal weapon and is being carried legally I don't see an issue. What about something that you bought used or someone gave to you? My favorite snake gun is a revolver my mother gave to me, that her dad bought for her when she left for college, that he bought from someone used in about 1970... how in the hell are you supposed to 'prove' ownership of that? Why should you even have to?I don't get this state sometimes...
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#6 ab diver

ab diver

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Like I said the story came from a local gun shop and from what he said it happened to a patron of his.

#7 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

If an LEO stops you and runs any firearm and the firearm comes back stolen you have a problem. If it is clear and you say it's my brothers and he lets me use it and the records check shows it's your brothers. No problem. If you say I bought it from someone, I forgot his name. You have a problem. The only time that I know of when you are asked for a receipt is when you return to the US with a firearm. Say from Canada. Prior the leaving the states you must show US Customs a reciept of ownership or sign an waiver saying you own the firearm. Failure to do so before leaving the states and it will be seized on returning to the US.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#8 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

shoot um :hellohello9il:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

tring to live up to my name lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thinking about this some more, when I lived out of state I bought a few guns. Mostly from other people, private sale with no paperwork. None was required in NV or ID or UT. I know the guns were not stolen, most of the guys I bought them from were in the church with me. But regardless, those were all legal sales at the time, yet I don't know where they got them or even the names of those fellas anymore. So now I am a criminal because I have moved back to CA?I hate the way this state vilifies gun ownership.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#11 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yes you are a criminal unless you went to the DOJ and filled out the papers and paid your fees as per Calif. law when you entered the state. :signs1180lq: You have 60days from the time you enter the state to register any or all handguns, rifles and shotguns are not required to be registered.

#12 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

Why is it that these stories always start with somebody I know, knows this guy that almost got his gun taken away. While I admit that there are some freakin' idiot cops out there that think they are Judge, Jury and executioner, most cops never bother LAW ABIDING folks. I've had some really bad run in's with the BLM (Nazi's) but other than those @#^%$*'s I never had a problem with local PD or sheriffs. I'd much rather hear about an event firsthand that 6th hand. There was a recent story of a guy on here that had a run in with a female sheriff, while he was out squirel hunting. Now that, I believed because it came from the vicitm. Stories like this thread only make people more paranoid than they need be, when most of the knuckle head american public think all us hunters are maniacs anyways. I like to stay informed but I prefer to have it come firsthand. My $.02 anyways.Meanie

#13 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Yes you are a criminal unless you went to the DOJ and filled out the papers and paid your fees as per Calif. law when you entered the state. :angry2: You have 60days from the time you enter the state to register any or all handguns, rifles and shotguns are not required to be registered.

What if he's been back for years? Is there a problem after 60 days? It sure seems like WTF hoop to leap through.

#14 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

[quote name='Hookum' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:42 PM' post='127323'] If you say I bought it from someone, I forgot his name. You have a problem. There would be an exception to this: If you bought the handgun when private sales were still legal, you didn't have to register it. And until you sell it, it still doesn't have to be registered. There are still a lot of legally owned handguns in this state that aren't registered to the present owners.

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Can you refer to some DOJ code/language that confirms this? I'd like to have that.

#16 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

How about if your Grandfather passed away and he left you a few hand guns?? Who knows where gramp's got them?? My grandfather left me some nice shot guns, rifles and pistols when he left us.. I have never even thought about it twice until this thread. I do beilve that family transfers are okay?

#17 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

The story is BS or someone is overstepping their bounds. As far as family transfers you can get the paper off the internet from the state and any transfers between family members can be done directly to the state and not have to pay the gun dealer fees. I remember the cost being about $5 for 5 firearms and some firearms are a cost for all of them. I was going to transfer about 50 to my brother at one time and checked into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users