27 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

Well, the sun gods blessed me today by parting the clouds, so I headed out to test my new Savage. It is completely stock exept I bedded a 1/4" steel rod into the flimbsy forend which did help stiffen it up some. I mounted a Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 AO TT on Leupold rings. After mounting the scope and aligning the crosshairs by looking thru the bore, I was one inch low and one inch right at 100 yards. After one adjustment I was right on.I previously had shot 5 rounds and cleaned for the first 25 rounds. Shooter's Choice solvent didn't do squat on the copper in the bore, but Sweet's took it out like it was nothing. I was using WWB 55g FMJ for the break in session and it was shooting well but I hadn't measured anything yet.So today I used up the rest of the 50-rnd box of WWB 55gr FMJ and each 5-shot group measured under 1", that's cool for "junk" ammo. All of the 5-shot groups were between 0.7" and 0.9". I cleaned the bore again and then tried a box of WWB Varmint 45gr HP. All of those 5-shot groups were a little over an inch... Then I tried some Ultramax 52gr HP and it was also just over an inch on average. I cleaned the bore again and hung some fresh targets. This break in period allowed me to adjust to the Accutrigger. It's sweet! I love it! The pull is very smooth and the break is very crisp. I have it adjusted all the way down to the lightest setting, and then tightened about 1/4 turn. It feels like it's about 2-3 lbs. Next I started shooting my reloads, using ShooterJohn's secret recipe. :huh: (thanks John) I was using Win brass, full length sized, trimmed, chamfered and deburred and all that etc, Fed GMM primers, 40gr V-Max bullets, and H335 powder, with COL set at 2.200". I started at 25.0 gr and worked up to 27.0 gr. Here's the results!Posted ImageI think I found the sweet spot! :D The paper and cardboard backing were very damp due to the moisture in the air and all the water on the ground in the grass so the holes are not very sharp and clean. I'll have to shoot some stiffer/thicker targets next time so I can measure the groups more easily. I found that I was shooting the center out of the targets and it was messing up my ability to aim so on the last group I adjusted the elevation up a bit. Looks like the 26.5 gr group is just a hair under 0.40" I can live with that for the very first batch of tests. :P I suspected that load would be the right one so I had made up some extras and shot three more 5-shot groups, all of which were in the 5's. The 26.0 group was very nice too. This load has the exact same POI as the cheap WWB 55gr FMJs at 100 yards.Then I tried the same loads using LC brass and it shot ALMOST as good with 25.5 gr instead of 26.5 gr. I'll have to keep messing with the LC brass since I have about 800 pieces of it. Plus, it also had the same POI as the Win loads and the WWB FMJ ammo. I think once I settle into this rifle (my first Savage) it will really be a shooter. I will eventually replace the cheap plastic stock (they cost Savage $12) with a laminate stock, and this rifle deserves a better scope, but other than that it's good to go. Looking forward to many more happy targets with my new toy. ;)

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

Sweet:Nice groups, those Savage's are Shooters.

I think once I settle into this rifle (my first Savage) it will really be a shooter

Looks to me it is already a Shooter :huh:
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:29 AM

GREAT SHOOTING. With that 40g. load you woll put the hurt on the squirrels. More shooting is always better.steve

#4 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:37 AM

Glad to hear the weather is was nice all over the place on Thursday. Nice groupings! I'm jealous :huh:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

I found that I was shooting the center out of the targets and it was messing up my ability to aim so on the last group I adjusted the elevation up a bit.

Don't you hate that when you shoot the center out of your target? :huh: I use a 90 pound weight paper for my targets, available from any Staples or like store. Like you said it makes measuring your target much easier.Ben, I'm glad that load is working out for you. ;) That LC brass will use about a grain less because it is thicker. I think you'll fine those groups will tighten up even more once your gun is completely broken in and you get adjusted to it. When you get to shoot some squirrels I think you'll be happily surprised how much destruction that round has. Mainly from the fact of the speed coupled with the high rotational speed of the 1 in 9 twist barrel of the Savage. Plus the thin jackets of the Hornady 40gr. V-Max's bullets. I knew you would like the results and your new Savage. I'll send you a coyote load using the 55gr. V-Max that will shoot extremely good groups and almost to the same point of impact. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

Got the base coat of camo on the stock last night. I'll add texture today and hopefully get more color on it. Posted Image

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Looks very nice........sweet

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:35 AM

Yesterday I added the texture using Krylon Make It Stone sand texture. It was looking good until the cat knocked it over. (note to self: one more reason to shoot the cat) Thanks to my quick reflexes I was able to catch it before it crashed to the garage floor but some of the texture paint smudged where my fingers caught it. :(I tried to fix it but there were still some slightly raised marks on the stock. I after that dried I got another two coats of flat olive green paint on it. I still haven't decided if I'm going to camo it with lighter green or tan stripes, or just leave it solid olive green as pictured above.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

Nice job, Stiff Neck and now you're on a roll... The Problem with a 223 is that it does well with lots of different loads. The Good thing with a 223 is that it does well with lots of different loads :)An easy and fun round to load for in other words...Happy ShootingFrank

#10 CLL

CLL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

Might just glue some patches of cat fur on it . Sounds like you already have a source . Seems your gun is shooting good . Good Luck and have fun with it .Clint
I might be tired from hunting , but I will never tire of hunting .49er Faithful

#11 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

Might just glue some patches of cat fur on it . Sounds like you already have a source . Seems your gun is shooting good . Good Luck and have fun with it .Clint

Can you use CAT FUR camo in Kalifornia? I love cats.... they taste just like chicken. :blink: steve

#12 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

Can you use CAT FUR camo in Kalifornia? I love cats.... they taste just like chicken. :blink: steve

:D Gut buster, I told my cats that one.Hear kitty kitty :) I like the way your gun looks now. and nice shooting. Im jealous :)
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:15 AM

The Problem with a 223 is that it does well with lots of different loads. The Good thing with a 223 is that it does well with lots of different loads :)

I haven't had the good fortune with the .223 doing better than average with different loads. I've found a few it does extremely well with but I guess it depends on the guns, barrel twist and bullets. Or maybe I'm being too picky on the groups I want. I guess you can shoot a lot of MOA groups with different loads. But after all how many different rounds do we really need. I basically load two different myself. A 40gr and a 55gr bullet load is all I require. Though I do have a 69gr bullet load I've nick named the Stealth Fly Swatter! :blink:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Very true, John... I guess it just all depends on what the definition of (shooting) "Well" is. Probably means different things to different folks. MOA is not what you and I want, however will work fine for many folks on coyotes. Varmints may be another thing?!For me the 223 has been about the easiest caliber I've ever loaded for. Shooter friendly if you will. In other words the 223 seems to like a larger variety of powders than some other calibers. Several powders may produce MOA, while several others can produce half that. To me, that's a lot of powders for the 223 to shoot MOA & well under. Not sure the same can be said about some other calibers? 22-250?Frank

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Day 2 at the range. Got it zero'ed at 150 yards and then messed around with the target turrets a bit. I've got it dialed in now. Noticed some fliers associated with the position of the flimbsy forend on the front rest. Will fix that soon. Oh, and my Cabela's front rest SUCKS! I bought it right before Cedarville last year only because everybody was sold out of all the normal rests like "The Rock". I had to epoxy the swiveling head in place so it would stay still. The feet have leveling screws but they're blunt at the tips, not sharp. Hmm.Posted Image

#16 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Nice looking set up Ben. I need to stop by one of these days I just got back in town and getting back in the groove. Well I'm glad she shoots well for ya. If you need me to I can take it up to Alturas this weekend and test it out on some squeeks. :(

#17 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

I replaced the factory plastic stock with a factory BVSS stock. It's much easier on the eyes now! The stock feels great, I like the palm swell too. Posted Image

#18 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

Looks great! Did you get it straight from Savage?

#19 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Does look nice!

#20 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

I got it brand new from Northlander on the Savageshooters.net board for $135 plus $12 shipping. I think the factory charges $200. That pic doesn't really show the grain in the wood etc, I need to get outside and take some nice pics. I could have just purchased the BVSS rifle to begin with, but I prefer blued metal over stainless on nice wood.

#21 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, the wood stock on blue metal looks very nice.

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

I've got one of those too. :rolleyes: Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#23 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'll be the odd the man out here :rolleyes: I like the Plastic one better, especially after the green paint.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Wood is more Eco-friendly than plastic. :D The squirrels aren't afraid of wood because it's natural not man made like plactic. :rolleyes: :D

Time waits for no one--

#25 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

Since laminate stocks has been getting popular, I've moved away from synthetics. I just like the wood a lot better... Everyone has their own definition of beauty :rolleyes:

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Since laminate stocks has been getting popular, I've moved away from synthetics. I just like the wood a lot better... Everyone has their own definition of beauty :rolleyes:

Wood is good! :D

Time waits for no one--

#27 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

I'm keeping the old plastic stock for rugged use outdoors. Hopefully the POI won't shift too much between stocks.

#28 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

AHW. I cant take it :o .Some one gets a new gun and I got to wait tell july :) B) No dont go there the wife will kill you B) You can wait. :) Let us know how it shoots
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users