• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

I have been researching the forums and am totally confused on the current offerings out there on bulk 22 ammo for my new Buck Mark. So far I have only been shooting CCI but I am looking for some cheaper alternatives. Someone had me convinced to stay away from Winchester Xpert because it looks dirty in the barrel but then I found out the patented graphite/lube mix they use is supposed to look that way and probably stays accurate and reduces leading as well if not better than some of the others. Around here we have lots of Blazer 22, Federal, Winchester, and Remington in bulk. Remington seems to be the brand that folks say to stay away from the most consistently. My Buck Mark seems to shoot them all well but the CCI subsonic the best (for our informal competitions). Any opinions based on your experience?I have about 5000 rounds of 22 ammo but plan on stocking up on another 5000 rounds with the current scary administration in DC....Also, I searched the archives but didn't see this discussed throughly already. If I missed it let me know.Thanks,Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have good luck with Federal 550 packs, from Walmart. They come in a burgundy box. I used to love the CCI Blazers when they came in bricks for 10 dollars, but the price has gone up on those considerably. You might be able to find a decent price if you buy in bulk, like you plan to do.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

Shoot several brands and see what your gun likes. Or buy whats on sale as pistols aren't as particular as rifles.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

My opinion is to shoot all of them and find out which ones your particular weapon likes. That is how to detrmine what to shoot. Why shoot something that won't shoot well just because someone else likes it. That doesn't make sense to me. Shoot what will shoot well. If you're worried about the pistol getting dirty, clean it. Easy solution.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

My opinion is to shoot all of them and find out which ones your particular weapon likes. That is how to detrmine what to shoot.

That's a good advice, just make sure to buy a ton of it, while it's available. I found a couple types that shot exceptionally well in a couple of my .22s, then they stopped making them and I only had one brick. (Aguila Sidewinder is one that comes to mind.)

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have a heavily modified 10/22 and after having tried many "expensive" match grade rounds, I have found that the Remington Bulk pack 36 gr. HP's shoot best out of my gun. Go figure. Also, don't believe everything you read/hear about a certain brand, it all has to do with the combination going through YOUR gun. Mine is a good example.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

All my experience is with rifles, but what I have found is like everyone else said-buy a box of each and do some target shooting and see what your gun likes. Personally I much prefer a copper plated HP bullet for shooting squirrels with. Copper plating helps keep the fouling down as we sometimes shoot a box or two before anything gets cleaned. Remington 'golden bullet' or something value packs have always shot well for me but have a lot of waxy coating on them that will gum up the action on a 10/22 after a lot if rounds, esp if mixed with any dust.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#8 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

shoot / buy what the gun likes . my High Standard will hold 2"x3" at 50 yds and my personal best is a jackrabbit at 71 yds with the gun and ammo it likes . PMC Moderator . but its discontinued . I found 3000 rds online and bought all of it . I also have Eley tenex that does not shoot that well / good out of it .Attached File  1.jpg   13.63KB   2 downloads

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Nice pistol. Thanks (everyone) for all of the input. My Buck Mark Hunter seems to shoot a lot of different ammo pretty well with 3/4" at 20 yds with a 2 MOA red dot from a rest about the norm. Probably the CCI Subsonic shoots as well as anything and it seems to function fine. I'll keep trying the various flavors and then go for the best cost that shoots well for just practicing.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

Yep, TRY everything you can get your hands on. Then stock up on the stuff that works best and doesn't clog your gun up too much.I too have a heavily modified 10/22. :) I found years ago that mine likes (as far as the bulk pack stuff):Winchester Dynapoint (the holy grail of 22lr Bulkpacks)American Eagle AE22 (comes in 400rd bricks in a red box).Federal 550 bulk packs come in a distant third for my rifle, but they were clean and shot OK.The Dynapoints shoot slightly better than the AE22, but I usually use the AE cause they are still available. :) The 5000+ rounds of Dynapoints are tucked away for a later time. I think I saw a brick of Dynapoints at a Wal-mart like 6 months ago, but they wanted $29.95 for the brick!!! I almost passed out. :D
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

amen to that WKC . I remember getting a box ( 5000 ) of almost anything for 5.95-7.95 per 500 . THOSE were the days . the cheapest i found back then was pmc ( blasting ) 5000 rds for 56.00 a box ( 5000 ) . we , my 10/22 friends & I , went through those like candy :)

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

Yep, I found the beauty of the Dynapoints kinda late in the game. There at the end, I was buying all they had.Nothing like buying a box of 500 Dynapoints that shoot like Match ammo for less than $10. :D It also takes me back to the days when I could ACTUALLY shoot this stuff at squirrels ALL DAY long and not even THINK about some crappy vulture that can't feed itself.Now those bricks just sit there locked up waiting for the day of the squirrel takeover. I will be ready. :D :) :) :)
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#13 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Aguila makes some decent ammo for the money. I did a big comparison of ammo groupings through my Volquartson 10/22 and the best match quality ammo was Wolf match X-tra, the best hunting ammo was CCI mini mags, and the standard Aguila high velocities were not far behind with consistent 1.5" groups at 100. Check out Midwayusa.com

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Thanks MidwayUSA is almost in my backyard...

I'm an airgunholic

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

My Browning Buck Mark Hunter... Seems to eat all ammo...

I'm an airgunholic

#16 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Now those bricks just sit there locked up waiting for the day of the squirrel takeover. I will be ready. :wacko: :) :blink: :two-cents:

That is funny as H**K WKC !! :) the old Fed 710 was great n a few guns too . Nothing wrong with the Aguila either . It just comes down to what your gun shoots best . Thats why to some degree I do not like the "match " chamber on my 10/22 . it will shoot the other stuff but it shaves them severly , requires more cleaning than needed . and even with the match stuff , an unfired case will not extract ! that can be a pain at a public range . Andy

#17 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,reloading,ghost towns,gold prospecting<br />target shooting,computers.<br /><br />45 Colt and 44 mag/45-70 are my favorites.<br /><br />I am retired.<br /><br />My other email is roblackwolf5@gmail.com

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

The squeeks are invading from Mexico too ?? :rolleyes:
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#18 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:13 AM

Our local gun dealer finally got in two skids of Federal Champion 22s in 500 bricks rather than bulk boxes and offered it for 12.99. Folks with cases were lined up around the checkout yesterday since reasonable 22 ammo is in short supply around here.

I'm an airgunholic

#19 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

Wow, GREAT price. If I didn't have so much, I'd be trying to figure out how to get more. :pirashoot:

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

I have a friend who is a sole proprietor gun dealer and I spoke with him this morning. He said he has never seen anything like it in his lifetime (he is 65). Professional people making mass purchases of guns and ammo - espcially AR-15 type rifles and semi-auto pistols and rifles... At this point they have waiting lists directly with manufacturers and importers who can't begin to keep up with orders. Amazing and scary... Missouri has no registration for the moment and records are supposed to be destroyed afte the instant background checks. Is this frenzy going on in CA too?

I'm an airgunholic

#21 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Probably Moreso.With our AW, handgun and high capacity limitations, we have LESS to choose from than you guys. We are snatching up everything we can get our hands on and a LOT of it is at marked up prices.

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

Where can i get that 22lr non lead that winchester is making is it out yet??

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

You can't, it isn't out yet.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#24 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

What do you think they will want for babies? Arm or leg? Both?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users